Bob Dylan – Bootleg Series Vol. 14: More Blood, More Tracks (2 Nov 2018)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dave Gilmour's Cat, Nov 2, 2016.

1. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

If this release includes only the New York sessions, it will be odd if that isn't somehow reflected in the title. Something like "More Blood, More Tracks: The New York Sessions."

tstrapac likes this.
  2. Catbirdman

Catbirdman Forum Resident

If it's true there are no Minnesota sessions I will be severely disappointed.

Brian Mc, ExHead, Wugged and 3 others like this.
  3. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

Well, we know they haven't lost the masters of the five songs recorded in Minneapolis because they were sent to Ramone in New York to create the final record. Also they were accessed in 2003 to produce the 5.1 surround sound mix. It would be surprising if those five performances were missing from the box set, so at least some (familiar) takes from Sound 80 are likely to be included, re-mixed by Steve Addabbo. They've spent years looking for the Sound 80 session tapes. If they've found them it's a very well-kept secret; I would have expected a banner headline in Rolling Stone with news from "The Source" as soon as they had been located under the hay bale. Frankly, I don't have much hope left...

4. slane

slane Forum Resident

The 2-track mixes of the Sound 80 tracks were sent to Ramone for inserting into the final master. That those 5 songs were remixed for the 5.1 mix means that the multitracks were also available for (at least) those songs. Which hopefully means that all the multis (including the unreleased takes) are available.

Percy Song, supermd, AGimS and 3 others like this.
  5. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Is that your guess, or do you know something we don't know? I know the session tapes have been missing for a long time, and maybe they haven't found them -- but it would be nice if we could at least get the masters for the album cuts from Minnesota unedited and remixed.

adriatikfan likes this.
  6. Percy Song

Thanks for the correction @slane ! A glimmer of hope remains... :)

slane likes this.
  7. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

Clinton to God:

“I know. I’m God.”

8. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

For what it's worth, Heylin also has a Tulsa gig booked for Oct. 18 at the Woody Guthrie Center (in the shadow of the Dylan archives). It will obviously be a presentation on his book, and is in partnership with the Tulsa Dylan Empire.

Clinton Heylin: “No One Else Could Play That Tune: The Making & Unmaking of Bob Dylan’s 1974 Masterpiece - Woody Guthrie Center

Despite his noted personal traits, he seems to be making good on his access to information. His latest round of books have been great roadmaps for these huge archival boxsets.

9. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

I've been keeping an eye out for those tapes here in Bumf---, MN (as our friend Glenn Berger refers to Minneapolis). No luck so far.

10. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

You never know when they'll be back, or are liable to appear. (To sort of quote a BOTT song)

11. Percy Song

Have you been down to the farm? Did you look in the sink, behind the door, up the chimney hole, under the bed, deep inside the toilet bowl, behind the picture frame, in the TV set?

:shh: (They're probably underneath the reception desk at Orfield Labs, in a box labelled "D. Zimmerman - Sound 80 Dec 1974", waiting for collection.) :shh:

12. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

Unfortunately here in Bumf---, MN we lack paved roads so getting to the farm is problematic.

I tried to ask someone at Orfield Labs, but since we were in the "World's Quietest Room" I don't think they could hear my question.

13. You make a fair point actually. Clinton has some redeeming points I suppose.

The book for the live box was a good companion.

I almost bought the Touble No More book last week but left it. Perhaps I'll pick it up.

asdf35 likes this.
  14. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

Bitchin' about Heylin is silly. To his credit, he is one of the ultimate Dylan nut-heads. His books are a great read, whether some of his facts are contentious or not, well I don't care.

Comments about his personal character are irrelevant. Hey, some people actually believe that I have my faults and am not perfect. I disagree, but it's irrelevant.

15. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

I agree. Some people say Gene Simmons is an ******* (might have actually come from his mouth), but that doesn't stop me from cranking up Destroyer. If we had to be friends with our musical heroes, we'd all be listening to Raffi.

majorlance and Wugged like this.
  16. Percy Song

:laughup:

You owe me a laptop. I just spluttered my mouthful of peppermint tea all over the keypad....

#

DeeThomaz likes this.
  17. Percy Song

There was a "surprise" "Radio Spot" track featured on BS 13. We might get the same on BS 14:-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Images courtesy of Searching For A Gem. Blood On The Tracks 1975

@asdf35 alerted me to these sometime ago, knowing I'm a sucker for "paperwork"....:)

#

18. SPARTACUS

SPARTACUS Forum Resident

And here we sit so patiently
    'Til finding out what price
    We have to pay to listen to
    All these things twice (or maybe up to six or seven times for some songs)

HominyRhodes and Sean Murdock like this.
  19. I agree with this. And for me the precedent is The Cutting Edge which I found to be one of the less entertaining chapters of the 'Bootleg' series. So I'm kind've excited but strangely worried about 'More Blood, More Tracks.'

Mrsharko and savemenow like this.
  20. cublowell

cublowell Forum Resident

Part of the fun of this release will be how it fires up Heylin to complain all over again about how Dylan ruined the original release of this. At least he’s predictable!

I can’t wait for whatever this set turns out to be. I’m still thoroughly enjoying the deluxe gospel box. I also think back to the mid-90s when we wondered if Dylan would ever release an original album again (or anything at all), & how lucky we are to be drowning in deluxe box sets these days!

adriatikfan likes this.
  21. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

DJs around the country were alerting their listeners to buy Blood on the Track, singular.

22. mightyquinn61

mightyquinn61 Forum Resident

If you see Clinton Heylin, just start singing "Positively 4th Street".

superstar19 likes this.
  23. jpmosu

jpmosu a.k.a. Mr. Jones

I’d buy a 33 and 1/3 book on BOTT in a second.

scottc likes this.
  24. appearcomposed

appearcomposed Forum Resident

I've never interacted with this guy in my life, but I already hate him! I can almost feel him being an idiot through my monitor!

25. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

Friday, September 21, should be the announcement.

Start counting.

Mr. Explorer, CRadtke and rihajarvi like this.