The big disappointment: announced but never released

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by no time, Sep 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

Pink Floyd:

1. Quad Animals. Even got a catalogue number, but no evidence a mix was ever completed.
    2. 5.1 mix of The Wall. How long have we been waiting Mr Guthrie? It’s been mentioned on and off for years.

RAZORMADE, AZRunner, ponkine and 3 others like this.
  2. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Unheard Zep music for 50th Anniversary, the clock is ticking Jimmy.

3. Reader

Reader Senior Member

The Dave Clark Five box set with all the unreleased and stereo tracks that was planned when the Hollywood 2CD greatest hits set was released.

Never happened, never will, unless some unknown person gets their hands on it and sets it free.

Larry Geller likes this.
  4. Mickey2

Mickey2 Forum Resident

The Let It Be film was supposed to be released at the time of the Let It Be... Naked CD. But I guess after viewing the footage, McCartney realized what a dick he looked like in the film and they back burnered it. Hopefully he'll have a change of heart in 2020 and just let it be.

5. davebush

davebush New Test Leper

Never officially announced, but it's common knowledge that Springsteen's next album has been sitting and waiting for a few years.

CMcGeek, Sean and Etienne Hanratty like this.
  6. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

And it was pretty much announced as a done deal just before the Broadway show started.

CMcGeek likes this.
  7. schwaggy

schwaggy Forum Resident

Massive Attack 100th Window 3lp 2016/17/18 re-issue. Still hasn't materialized.

CMcGeek likes this.
  8. pantofis

pantofis Senior Member

Kraftwerk - Techno Pop (1983) - artwork & catalogue number were provided, but the group never delivered the masters.
    Instead a digitally re-recorded version appeared as "Electric Cafe" in 1986.

9. DPM

DPM Senior Member

The titles (Scorpions/Love Drive, Return To Forever/Romantic Warrior, Spirit/Clear) that were supposedly in the pipeline but were not released when Audio Fidelity called it a day.

Also, weren't there some rock titles that our host mastered for DCC that never saw the light of day? (Jethro Tull's Benefit comes to mind.)

ponkine likes this.
  10. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

And that full band version of Nebraska is still sitting unreleased according to Max Weinberg.

CMcGeek, Billy Budapest and Simon A like this.
  11. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Several years ago around 2012/2013, Beck said he was in the process of having the Motown tracks mixed. Nothing ever came of it though. Maybe one of these days he will issue an archival set of some sort. In a recent interview, he said that the BBA Live In Japan album was just remixed, so perhaps something grander is in the works with the archives.

Dondy and MungoMusic like this.
  12. Several Darkness On The Edge Of Town shows that 2-3 years ago were announced as Nugs' next planned releases, their "biggest priority." I think this was before Altschiller took over so the sound would have been much better IF they were released back then (unless, if ever done, Clearmountain does them).
    They were then forgotten.

13. Hoover Factory

Hoover Factory Old Dude Who Knows Things

Rhino’s deluxe reissue of Elvis Costello’s “Taking Liberties.” Rhino touted it in their press releases but it never materialized.

CMcGeek and DeeThomaz like this.
  14. Which is usually true.
    But I wish it wouldn't prevent archival releases.

15. fenderesq

fenderesq In Brooklyn It's The Blues / Heavy Bass 7-7

Is this a thing? Your post implied there are unofficial releases... yes? Where can I hear these tunes? I'd be very curious to hear these particularly as I think, based on what Rick Rubin did with Johnny Cash and his covers albums it must be at the very least interesting.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
    ohnothimagen likes this.
  16. davebush

davebush New Test Leper

Didn't Costello say he was releasing an album titled "Idiophone" at some point?

17. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

Probably already mentioned, but the two Sinatra MFSL SACD hybrid titles that got cancelled were the biggest bummer I can think of.

Tingman and BrucePadgett like this.
  18. fast'n'bulbous

fast'n'bulbous tight also

Released last year on Reprise in Japan.

19. fast'n'bulbous

This was the first one that came to mind for me too. I still long for this one.

John Fell likes this.
  20. fast'n'bulbous

Who videos from Woodstock, Swansea, and Tanglewood, all announced 2009.

The Hendrix - Stills session, announced by Dagger in 2010

Kinks Kelvin Hall deluxe, announced 2014 though it probably just would have been the known album in mono and stereo.

21. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

My 19-disc Free box set.

22. RSteven

RSteven Forum Resident

Tom Jones' Complete Decca Album box set from Decca UMC was suppose to come out a couple of years ago with all 15 of his studio albums IIRC. I am still patiently waiting for this collection as his buddy Englebert Humperdinck's box set came out from Decca without a hitch last year...

Simon A likes this.
  23. Mazda

Mazda The mystic one

Peter Gabriel's new album, SIXTEEN YRS IN THE MAKING.

Bob Dylan's Chronicles vls. 2 and 3.

i lost hope already.

LivingForever, Sean and Dark Horse 77 like this.
  24. dave-gtr

dave-gtr Forum Resident

True, but ANOTHER SCOOP and especially SCOOP 3 included recordings post 1984 (when Pete first told me about the box). So many of his demos have leaked to the public over the years (and of course, PT has released so many of them himself) one is left longing for high quality demos two under represented periods: 1966-1968 and 1974-1977. Oh, to hear demos of "Naked Eye", "They're all in Love", "How Many Friends"....and HIGH quality demos of "Rael 1 & 2", "I Can See for Miles"... And call me a conspiracy theorist, but my gut tells me that Pete himself leaked the complete sets of TOMMY and WHO ARE YOU demos to the 'market' years ago...

CMcGeek likes this.
  25. RatFarm

RatFarm Forum Resident

MFSL ELO Out Of The Blue....... such a shame it was never released.

soundboy, Anonamemouse and Tingman like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.