The Spider-Man newspaper comic strip...

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by WLL, Sep 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WLL

WLL Popery Of Mopery Thread Starter

...which has run for past 40 years now, and features different-continuity stories of a (still married to Mary Jane:))mSpider/Petey, has changed it's artist on the daily version withLarry Leiber's retirement, Alex Savuik, who does the Sunday, taking over the other six as well.
    Stan Lee is satill the writer:). This IS an " initial " post, planning to add more later, y'know!!!!!!!!!!!:blah:

2. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

I used to cut these out of the newspaper every day as a kid and paste them into a scrap book. I'm sure there's probably collections you can buy off the shelf now, but of course I didn't know that at the time.

mx20 likes this.
  3. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I had no idea that he had a comic strip. Either my paper didn't carry it, or I must've glossed over it when I read the comics. Interesting..

4. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I love Spidey but I bailed on the daily strip years ago.

"Serial" comic strips are a drag because they move soooooo slowly. They always need to burn at least one panel to remind readers what happened yesterday, so it takes forever for a story to go anywhere...

5. cboldman

cboldman Forum Resident

Alex Saviuk illustrated a few of my stories when I started writing in the comics biz. I should see him tomorrow at the Cincinnati Comics Expo. Thanks for the heads up about what he’s doing these days.

6. The pacing always bugged me as a kid and I love Spider-Man.

Oatsdad likes this.
  7. Neil Anderson

Neil Anderson Forum Resident

even as a child, i thought it was an incredibly limited form. first panel to recap yesterday, second panel to carry the action, third panel to set up tomorrow's strip. comic strips can be perfect for good humorous writer/artists (charles schulz, bill watterson, and stephan pastis are three of my favorites), but I can't think of a serial strip where i don't find that constant stop-and-go style annoying. i thought comic books were much better, and i always thought it was odd when i'd read interviews with comic book artists and they'd talk about how their dream was to get their own syndicated comic strip. i understand now that the appeal was ownership of their own work, and an adult audience, but it didn't make any sense to me back then.

8. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Stan writes the dialogue, but over the course of the strip's run he has always used a ghost writer to come up with the plots. Roy Thomas currently fills that role.

PhantomStranger and WLL like this.
  9. mark renard

mark renard Senior Member

I used to do the same!

Bryan likes this.
  10. Oatsdad

All serial strips are like that. Not sure why those involved in the genre feel they must offer such slow pacing.

Don't use panel 1 to refer back to the prior day's strip. Even if the reader didn't see it, it's not exactly difficult to figure out what's going on, so use all 3 panels to advance the story!

Though I imagine writers probably like the format because they can stretch out one simple adventure into like 9 years of strips! :D

11. keefer1970

keefer1970 Metal, Movies, Beer!

I didn't even realize the Spidey strip was still going. I would imagine that Stan Lee's involvement with it nowadays is minimal, if anything. They probably keep his name on it out of respect.

I used to read it in the NY Daily News when I was a kid in the '70s. Even then it moved at an absolutely glacial pace but I was a Spidey fan boy so I didn't care.
    ...and if memory serves, the color Sunday strips told a different story than the strips during the week! Can anyone confirm this?

Larry Lieber (who is Stan's brother, by the way) has gotta be gettin' up there in age too. He's earned a well deserved retirement!

12. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I follow it on Comic Curmudgeon. Which means I'm regularly informed about how ineffectual Spider-man can be! :laugh:

Seriously though, Spider-man is really not suited to a daily strip. Not nearly enough space to build up any action. And the final panel always needs to be a cliffhanger so he's regularly getting his butt kicked or trying something that doesn't work.

RexKramer likes this.
  13. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

It's not that way now, it's all the same story, but the plots seem pretty thin.

14. Oatsdad

He'll be 87 next month - just a baby compared to Stan, who'll hit 96 later this year!

keefer1970 likes this.
  15. Jim Pattison

Jim Pattison Forum Resident

Simon A likes this.
  16. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

I remember it but haven't seen it in years. Forgot all about it but I remember enjoying it. But is also been ages since I picked up a Spiderman comic so it is news to me that is he NOT married to Mary Jane. Apparently there are books with the comics strips in them, looks cool:

[​IMG]

17. About ten years ago Marvel Comics decided they didn't want a married Peter Parker anymore since it limited what kind of stories they could tell. So they literally had Peter Parker make a deal with the devil to make it like the marriage never happened.

I haven't read Spider-Man regularly since they got rid of the marriage.

18. WLL

...Ig, really? I have heard questions if how much Stan is involved - And, bluntly, in really recent times, I have wondered especially, in recent months, with Stan"s well-publicized difficulties - and I know of Roy's involvement, he's been in since the late Nineties or thereabouts & but what ghosts/assists gave there been prior to Roy?

"czeskleba, post: 19526413, 47"]Stan writes the dialogue, but over the course of the strip's run he has always used a ghost writer to come up with the plots. Roy Thomas currently fills that role.[/QUOTE]

19. WLL

...Was not aware of that re: the Spidey strip, but that has been a pattern for a minority of continuity strips over the years, sometimes even continued stories/gags on daily/Sunday or even spitlighting different characters in the dalues.versus the Sundays - I don"t see them anymore, but the last time I looked, the still-running The Phantom and Gasoline Alley did that

er1970, post: 19528434, member: 59068"]I didn't even realize the Spidey strip was still going. I would imagine that Stan Lee's involvement with it nowadays is minimal, if anything. They probably keep his name on it out of respect.

I used to read it in the NY Daily News when I was a kid in the '70s. Even then it moved at an absolutely glacial pace but I was a Spidey fan boy so I didn't care.
    ...and if memory serves, the color Sunday strips told a different story than the strips during the week! Can anyone confirm this?

Larry Lieber (who is Stan's brother, by the way) has gotta be gettin' up there in age too. He's earned a well deserved retirement![/QUOTE]

20. WLL

...I used it above..." Continuity strip ", incidentally, is the fan - and Ori?? - tern fir thise "serious " struos, action)suspense is soap opera spread Iver many weeks. Continuity strip.
    Nostalgic fans go for the 30/40s manifestation of this, when Giants walked the earth (Caniff, Raymond, Hofarth), in newspapers which everyone read, had vastly more space to do this stuff.
    I wonder if the Spidey strip us the mist widely-carried - most newspapers, at least in Anglophone North America - daily/Sunday continuity strip left? Sunday-only Prince Valiant probably has more.

21. WLL

...That's a simplification, and the Marvel villianous Mephisto is supposed to be an evil, small-s "Satanic " being, not " the " Christian Satan, but, yeah, that's essentially it!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

Really:yikes:! This shows you how inbred, endlessly introducing " changes the game forever " story changes, then flipping the " Reset " button back to the standard, super-hero comics have gotten:rolleyes:!

ntomStranger, post: 19534929, member: 13496"]About ten years ago Marvel Comics decided they didn't want a married Peter Parker anymore since it limited what kind of stories they could tell. So they literally had Peter Parker make a deal with the devil to make it like the marriage never happened.

I haven't read Spider-Man regularly since they got rid of the marriage.[/QUOTE]

22. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I don't know all the details, but based on what Jim Shooter wrote on his blog a few years ago, Stan has always used a ghost writer to plot the stories and he has only been the dialogue writer of the strip. Which makes sense... Even in the 60s, Stan left much (and sometimes all) of the plotting to the artists he worked with. Shooter mentioned that Len Wein did the job when the strip first started, and that then he (Shooter) took over and did it a few years. Not sure who else has been involved prior to Roy Thomas.

WLL likes this.
  23. Zeroninety

Zeroninety Forum Resident

Anyone who reads the Comics Curmudgeon blog is well aware of Newspaper Spider-Man's desire to avoid superheroics whenever possible, especially if something good's on TV. That, and the tendency of his Spider-Sense to fail him whenever punches or loose bricks come towards his head. :laugh:

PhantomStranger likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.