Paul McCartney - Egypt Station appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Peter_R, Sep 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theMess

theMess Forum Resident

If anyone has contacts at MPL, or if they use Twitter and FB, they should message that to Paul. With proper promotion and an interesting video, it's his best chance at a hit in years and could be remixed by someone like Tame Impala.

2. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

Please note that the lengths of each "program" are all within ten seconds of one another... THIS is how the 8-track would likely appear, had it actually existed! ;)

Speaking of 8-tracks, I dragged 'em all out for one more photo shoot, in case anyone's interested! This is the collection as it currently stands:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I know... :crazy:

3. Rigsby

Rigsby Forum Resident

Those are super cool to see - being in the UK they were a novelty at best really, I had no idea they were still releasing them up until the late 80s. Fascinating!

Thanks for sharing

Mr. Explorer and daveidmarx like this.
  4. FKA002

FKA002 Forum Resident

I spotted some fellows ;)

5. WhispersAndWisecracks

WhispersAndWisecracks Forum Resident

Just amazing. Those boxes for Fly and Approximately Infinite Universe and Some Time... and ATMP are gorgeous, quite unusually so for 8-track packaging.

Mr. Explorer and Bemagnus like this.
  6. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

I agree! I still remember as a kid tromping down to Book & Record and paying like thirteen bucks (a LOT of money for a 13-year-old back in 1984) for the ATMP 8-track! It was a thing of beauty! :)

7. gponter79

gponter79 Forum Resident

Yeah, spotted a few familiar faces i know in the audience too. I was so so close to going but alas it didn't work out at the last minute.
    Nevermind eh, i was one of the lucky few in The Phil a few weeks earlier. My band are playing at The Cavern pub tonight (shameless plug sorry).

.... and to things keep on track, we'll play some Macca songs and I love Egypt Station!! :D

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2019
  8. vinylbeat

vinylbeat Forum Resident

JDeanB likes this.
  9. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Ma belle ...sales that go together well.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2019
    theMess likes this.
  10. alexpop

FuH you Billy Elliot homage video was effective.

Bemagnus, Mr. Explorer and theMess like this.
  11. scoostraw

scoostraw Forum President

First Dr. Pepper with the avatars.. and now you Ben!!

(Updating my scorecard here...)

theMess likes this.
  12. scoostraw

scoostraw Forum President

Oh I think that is a really good idea...

and 8-Track also. Why not??

13. parkgrover

parkgrover Forum Resident

that McCartney Q&A with Jarvis Cocker online is very entertaining....nice to see such a long and relaxed chat with Macca. He seems to really being enjoying himself

alexpop likes this.
  14. alexpop

Slight digress.

Anybody here still go to the Paul McCartney maccamessage boards?

I took a peek posted a couple of things, but didn't recognise anyone. Mind you the last time i was there was 2003.

15. alexpop

:agree:
    that was a fun.

16. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Whenever I'm feeling blue, I'll look at this picture and smile!

Mr. Explorer, theMess and daveidmarx like this.
  17. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Just listened to five tracks way LOUD Alone at home
    Caesar rock-Electric arguments mixed with Stones. Wow
    Despite repeated warnings
    How amazingly good ain t that track. My jaw still drops. And then the 1 2. 3 extravaganza of Hunt you down(when did Paul made such an explosive rocker, Naked-when did Paul make such a weird prog-tune and C-link(when did we hear Paul stretch out on guitar likevthid

Nothing for free-Strange wall of sounds with a killer-groove and such an amazing chorus

This album is something else
    It is a blessing to once again experience Paul’s creative genius explode on all cylinders
    :)

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  18. vinylbeat

vinylbeat Forum Resident

Holy endless loop! I only own the first issue white shell Beatles 8 tracks from the late 60's and most of the UK EMI issues. Nothing sealed though. Amazing collection you have there!

Mr. Explorer, theMess and vince like this.
  19. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

20. Phil_Lip

Phil_Lip Forum Resident

I hear that too. But I also hear it on 'With a little luck' or maybe I'll sing 'With a little fuh!' in future.

Ringo Hendrix likes this.
  21. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Definitely the best album he has put out in the last 5 years!! o_O

22. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Likes to sing along but he knows not what it means

I know a lot of people don't like Pitchfork so I guess this is a good reason why. Well I think even if all the reviews were negative it wouldn't spoil our appreciation here. As much as I've loved AllMusic, they got it wrong with a couple of albums that they ended up adjusting-I think 'Red Rose Speedway', and 'London Town' went up in ratings from 2/5 to 4/5 stars and 'Ram' was only 3/5 and now it's McCartney's only 5-star album. At least they corrected them-not something we'd see from Pitchfork. I think Pitchfork is okay but they still have an indie rock mindset and sometimes that mindset looks down upon mainstream artists. Then again, I'm not sure of Pitchfork's history with McCartney reviews-could just be this album they thought was okay.

We won't worry about these reviews though cause we know ourselves best and the reviews I see written by everyone here is around the same ratings overall as that from the publications-about 8/10 seems like the average which is a very good to great album. We're as good as the critics themselves! :)

santi, Mr. Explorer, foxylady and 2 others like this.
  23. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

That seems like the correct way to listen to it.

Make your own noises to add on top and you're participating with J&Y in the "art" of it.... :shtiphat:

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  24. The Band

The Band Forum Resident

It's so strange how we hear things so differently. I honestly think Paul sounds great on Egypt Station. No 'considering he's 76' (don't you know). And I am not in denial here - when I first watched a few songs from the Grand Central show, I was more than a little concerned (to say the least) - but, honestly, to these ears he just sounds like Paul on ES to me. No excuses need making, far as I'm concerned. I wonder if TheMess (think it was) was onto something when he suggested as most of his favourite albums come from the last twenty years, any 'decline' in Paul's voice has been gradual and almost unnoticed. It goes without saying Paul cannot sing I'm Down or Helter Skelter or Maybe I'm Amazed like he used to, obviously I hear that (and have since I first saw Paul live in 1989). But, to these ears, he just sounds very, very good indeed on Egypt Station. I certainly am not hearing this 'ravaged voice' you talk of (but I accept that you do). P.S. Having heard (in the car) a few of the Spotify Abbey Road session tracks earlier, I was delighted to hear how much better he sounded than at Grand Central.

JDeanB, angelees, Elliottmarx and 4 others like this.
  25. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

True
    Overall there seems to be lot of love for Egypt Station. Following the anount of streams some songs get on Spotify a lot more than what s normal for a new McCartney album
    :)

WilliamWes and Mr. Explorer like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.