New Marantz SA-KI Ruby SACD/CD player

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by bruce2, Sep 11, 2018.

1. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I just noticed this new player available for sale from Music Direct, and on the Marantz website. It looks incredible! It features the Marantz-designed transport of the SA-10, and I think converts everything to DSD. It is $4000. Out of my price range, but I think I would consider going into debt for one!

2. tomd

tomd Senior Member

What does the SA-KI Ruby omit from the SA-10 for the lower price exactly?

Scratcha likes this.
  3. bruce2

Good question. I also read that the KI Ruby will be limited to 1000 units worldwide.

Rickyyy likes this.
  4. bradleyc

bradleyc Forum Resident

Music Direct is selling the Marantz Reference SA-14S1 for $2000, which is 20% off msrp. Don’t think a Ruby sounds twice as good, don’t know? The SA-14 at that price is great bang for the buck, love mine. Decisions, decisions. . .

5. bruce2

I have and love an SA-8005, which is almost 4 years old but still works great. I am tempted by both the 14 and the Ruby, although I don't think I will get double or quadruple the sound quality of my 8005!

6. bruce2

One of the main attractions of the Ruby to me is that it features the new transport from the flagship SA-10. It is designed by Marantz for SACD/CD music playback only. Hopefully it is well made and reliable as well as good sounding, I would hope it would be for the price! I suspect the SA-14 uses the same transport as the 8005.

7. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

If the SA-KI Ruby is the successor to the SA-KI Pearl, then it will have "better" internal components and improved chassis construction/materials.

There was a review in Positive Feedback that compared the SA-11s2 and the SA-KI Pearl; posted for reference
    marantz

SinnerSaint likes this.
  8. Stefan Sigurdsson

Stefan Sigurdsson Forum Resident

Even Michael Fremer the vinyl extremist posted this. It's not often he posts something non-vinyl related:

9. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

I skimmed thru this; not much 'beef' except that the units will be offered in black and gold and numbered.

Bingo Bongo, Anaplian and hi_watt like this.
  10. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Innocent Bystander

CDFanatic likes this.
  11. RnRmf

RnRmf Senior Member

None of the balanced circuitry, based on the pictures.

bruce2 likes this.
  12. lonelysea

lonelysea Ban Leaf Blowers

Wow. No balanced circuitry/XLR output. At least there’s a laser-etched, Ken Ishiwata signature on the faceplate!

13. TimP

TimP Well-Known Member

Newbie here and proud to say the first owner in Canada of the SA-KI and PM-KI Ruby bundle. I haven’t had a moment to unpack them and setup, just waiting on a Straightwire Cresendo 3 RCA-RCA(as mentioned no XLR input and that faceplate comes with an actual red ruby implanted at the end of his signature)and a couple of Straightwire Black Thunder II powercords. I will post my review in the near future.

FYI my cost for the bundle was $8000 CDN plus taxes($400 GST)or $6190 US.

qwerty, ClassicalCD, Carlox and 6 others like this.
  14. caupina

caupina Forum Resident

We need to see some photos or it didn't happen ;)

Erik Tracy, WapatoWolf and Bill Mac like this.
  15. TimP

TimP Well-Known Member

I actually tried when I posted, but when I hit the picture icon beside the smiley face it brings up “image URL” and then click on it, then states “look up” and press on that and then nudda The pic is on my iPhone as I text this. Now if you can tell me how to upload it here direct from my iPhone gallery I would appreciate the help because I can’t figure out how to grab it off my iPhone and upload it.

Thanks, Tim

16. Soundsense

Soundsense Forum Resident

The Marantz SA-K1 Ruby is very interesting to me......I'm bumping this thread to see if anyone can report their experiences/comparisons yet.

17. RWBadley

RWBadley Not an Animal

I was caught at a moment of weakness. Sa-KI ruby is on the way.
    I'm hoping for an audible upgrade from my now long in tooth Sony 5400, especially on redbook.

18. ChrisR2060

ChrisR2060 Stereo addict

I am not quote sure i like the idea of converting everything to dsd. What is the advantage?

bruce2 likes this.
  19. Soundsense

Soundsense Forum Resident

RW, I'm so glad you had a moment of weakness....we can enjoy your purchase vicariously, and I'll be interested to hear what you hear.

Erik Tracy likes this.
  20. bruce2

Can't wait to hear what you think of it!

21. RWBadley

RWBadley Not an Animal

It will be in next Thursday, but it's unlikely I'll get much time with it until the following week.
    Ha. This thread is what started me looking into it. Thanks I didn't know I was in the market for more audio gear

Riktator likes this.
  22. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Check Forum Business.

We don't host photos here (server space) and they must be hosted elsewhere. :)

23. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

As a 5400 owner I am also interested.

WapatoWolf likes this.
  24. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

Please be sure to let us know how it sounds.

Greenalishi likes this.
  25. RWBadley

RWBadley Not an Animal

The SA-KI arrived yesterday. A thing of beauty for sure. Very nicely packaged.

I haven't had much time at all with it, but a quick initial impression is one of clarity with smoothness. Not etched or rough in the least.

It sounds like the music begins from a little more of a black background and so far two things have seemingly emerged... I am able to play at a bit lesser volume while retaining details. I like this.

Also, at a bit higher volumes and hearing from other areas within the house I find it jumping out with a little bit more realistic sound. I caught myself being entranced by an extremely lifelike sacd Diana Krall. Very subtle differences really from the Sony xa5400, but so far so good. I would think maybe more of subtle further improvements down the road as well.

Cheers,