Bob Dylan – Bootleg Series Vol. 14: More Blood, More Tracks (2 Nov 2018)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dave Gilmour's Cat, Nov 2, 2016.

1. savemenow

savemenow Forum Resident

OK, perhaps I missed the answer trying to sift through all the Clinton Heylin posts in this thread, but my question is:

Is Bob Dylan going to actually credit and pay ALL the musicians who played on these songs on this release?

2. My Echo My Shadow And Me

My Echo My Shadow And Me Forum Resident

That's not a photo of the actual Reference Recording disc, but a mock-up based on this generic digital image: 3D model of Vinyl Record

The question is was this mock-up done by Heylin (or someone associated with Heylin) or was it made by Columbia and a reproduction of the Reference Recording LP will be a bobdylan.com exclusive?

3. Dflow

Dflow Listening in the time of Dylan

Great list. Do you also know which takes were used on the official release?

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  4. slane

slane Forum Resident

The 'Test Pressing' takes, apart from the 5 songs that were re-recorded in Minneapolis (Tangled, Big Girl, Idiot Wind, Jack Of Hearts, If You See Her).

DeeThomaz and Dflow like this.
  5. cpatton

cpatton Forum Resident

It´s from a very reliable source who at a secret press gathering among other things heard songs from the set.

Sean Murdock likes this.
  6. Mbd77

Mbd77 Collect ‘Em All!

No. Billy Cross played on the Gospel set but mentioned that he didn’t even know it had been released.

7. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

Ah, ha! Thanks for that.

I like the possibility of it being a bobdylan.com exclusive...

8. mightyquinn61

mightyquinn61 Forum Resident

Maybe after so many years songwriting royalties apply, but not musician royalties. What are the rules for this?

savemenow likes this.
  9. Percy Song

Bob paid the musicians when they performed the songs at the sessions, as session musicians: see example of New York AMF recording contract in a previous post which also mentioned Clinton Heylin. My understanding is that in most cases, unless a royalties agreement is made at the time, that is the end of any financial obligation. If musicians believe they have contributed significantly to the composition (as some of the players at both sessions indicate they did) they are required to negotiate future royalties payments at the time. (I suppose they could try to sue after the fact.)

I imagine BS 14 will credit all the musicians for the first time and, unlike in the case of the shoddy effort in the credits for "Tangled Up In Blue" on "Greatest Hits 3", may even get their names right, which might please "Ken", and "Greg" and "Bill Preston". Chris Weber and Bill Berg won't be sweating too much.

[​IMG]

Clinton Heylin doesn't like this version, though. Nor did "Lenn", who also may get a credit on the box.

#

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
  10. My Echo My Shadow And Me

My Echo My Shadow And Me Forum Resident

... or maybe a Record Store Day release ...

Mr. Explorer and Percy Song like this.
  11. Percy Song

Yes, probably too early for Black Friday in November, but RSD 13 April 2019 would be about right...

Mr. Explorer and PADYBU like this.
  12. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

think I’ll spin my copy of Blood on the tapes today in anticipation of next weeks announcement.

Mr. Explorer and jlf like this.
  13. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

I guess when you were a kid you've never used a magnifying glass to destroy ants and other small insects? Oh, that's just me? Ummm...

NumberEight likes this.
  14. John Rhett Thomas

I think discussing him is fine. Criticizing him, too. It's the relentless and very personal bashing of the guy that some find a little over the top and distasteful!

Shvartze Shabbos and Percy Song like this.
  15. John Rhett Thomas

That AFoM document has some highly sensitive information about some still-living people. It would be nice if that kind of info was redacted before propagating out into the internet.

16. Somebody Naked

Somebody Naked Forum Resident

As far as I'm concerned, this makes sense. I've been listening to my own NY version of this album for years; using cuts from the first Bootleg Series and Blood On the Tapes. The acetate versions, for my money, aren't as good as the ones on BS 1-3. And who's to say that there aren't even better ones out there? Plus, Dylan's camp seems to wilfully not always distribute the best takes, but the ones that haven't been heard.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  17. Percy Song

You're probably right there, John. In my defence, it is a document that has been in publication and on the internet, as is, since 1995. I won't be annoyed in the slightest if it is considered inappropriate and removed from this thread but it is available to anyone all over the place.

18. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I really don't think Bob handles his financial matters at all. Nor do I think it likely that he gets involved with any other administrative matters on such reissues.

19. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Any word yet ?

20. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

I don't think the same thing.

Bootleg Series 14 is going to be a history-making release.

appearcomposed likes this.
  21. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I still think it is unlikely that Dylan himself takes part in paying sidemen, determining credits on album liner notes.

22. mightyquinn61

mightyquinn61 Forum Resident

As long as Bob is the one blowing the harmonica, all is fine with me. There are some Miles Davis recordings (eg. Dingo) where he's not even blowing his own trumpet.

Tribute likes this.
  23. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

You might wanna skip a track or two on Blonde On Blonde then... :shh:

24. PADYBU

PADYBU Forum Resident

I'm not mad at Miles for that, blowing your own trumpet puts a lot of strain on your spine

25. savemenow

savemenow Forum Resident

Haha, yeah, right! After all theses years, that's the best excuse ya got? ...ok then.