Bauhaus 40th Anniversary Vinyl Reissues

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by breakingglass, Sep 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. breakingglass

breakingglass Forum Resident Thread Starter

scobb, gomen ne, Bowie Fett and 2 others like this.
  2. punkmusick

punkmusick Amateur drummer

This could be good or not.

3. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

With the recent screwup of the Cocteau Twins reissues, I am rather hesitant with these.

blaken123, Dave 81828384 and c-eling like this.
  4. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

I'd say more of a flat out lie Jim. They knew from the get go the source.
    I don't trust anything 4ad/Beggars related.

Pavol Stromcek and jimhb like this.
  5. punkmusick

What's wrong with the Cocteau Twins reissues?

6. c-eling

Latest Guthrie's thrown to wax.

7. CDlover

CDlover Senior Member

rnranimal likes this.
  8. punkmusick

9. Pavol Stromcek

Pavol Stromcek Senior Member

I don't know, I think the Cocteau Twins issue was specific to them. Guthrie really mucked things up with his poor remasters, and the very existence of those, coupled with the fact that Guthrie has basically said he views them as definitive, means there's always a risk that his remasters are what you're going to get with future reissue programs. Regardless of whether 4AD were being knowingly dishonest about using Guthrie's remasters, there's always the chance that a label could simply get them mixed up and use the wrong one.

I bought recent Beggars vinyl reissues of In the Flat Field and Mask, both of which were okay. I also bought that Fall comp, The Wonderful and Frightening Escape Route To..., and that's a flawless pressing which sounds good too. The Dead Can Dance LP reissues were also fine for the most part (though the new W/in the Realm of a Dying Sun sounds significantly different from the original).

So, I guess I'm cautiously optimistic about these Bauhaus reissues coming out okay.

Edit: I'm guessing these high-res files will be from the last round of remasters, which in the case of In the Flat Field and Mask, would be fine since those Omnibus versions sounded nice. But the other two, especially Sky's Gone Out, weren't so great.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
  10. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

Here is what the bauhausmusik wrote me:

“I personally have not, but I’ve read the track by track notes. The original mastering on some of the tracks was pretty muddy. You’ll hear things on these remasters you haven’t been able to hear before because they were buried.“

c-eling likes this.
  11. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Were Flat Field and Mask masterings actually done in hi-res? I don't recall seeing those sold in hi-res while the rest of the discs were.

12. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

That's exciting. I'm looking forward to that. I was hoping this session would be part of a bigger release, but I'll take it.

13. c-eling

Interesting, at least on old compact disc I don't remember muddiness, but rather brightness :laugh:
    I'd really like some good sounding Bauhaus!

blaken123 and jimhb like this.
  14. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

I definitely remember a few tracks that sounded muddy on the original BB CDs. If they do these like they did the omnibus titles, I'll be happy.

NOS300B, jimhb and Bowie Fett like this.
  15. Pavol Stromcek

No idea!

rnranimal likes this.
  16. Pavol Stromcek

Parts of Mask were quite muddy, as well as Burning From the Inside, at least in my opinion.

The really nice Omnibus version of Mask attempted to remedy the murk with some success, but there's only so much you can do with mastering. The Omnibus-mastered Mask really helped bring some details out of the muck on songs like "Passion of Lovers." I also like the Omnibus mastering of Flat Field - it makes the original sound a bit pinched by comparison.

17. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

The UK original Bauhaus pressings, especially Flat Field, are great sounding records. The Omnibus CD sets sound very good, but digitally sourced vinyl seems redundant to me.

18. gomen ne

gomen ne -

As well as the black vinyl, The Bela Session 12" has a white vinyl 1000 limited edition and a red one should be coming from Vinyl Me Please. I ordered a white vinyl from Bandcamp. The track Lagartija Nick is one of my favourites so this is just up my street. Not too bothered about the studio albums reissues, though, because I've got the original UKs. I might pick up Press The Eject for the sleeve, since my copy came stuffed inside The Sky's Gone Out as a freebie.

Bauhaus | The Bela Session | Leaving Records | November 23, 2018

1. “Bela Lugosi’s Dead” – 9:36
    2. “Some Faces” – 2:29 – previously unreleased
    3. “Bite My Hip”– 2:57 – previously unreleased yet later reworked, re-recorded, and released as
      “Lagartija Nick” in 1983
    4. “Harry” – 2:56 – later released as a B-side in 1982
    5. “Boys (Original)” – 3:03 – previously unreleased, later re-recorded and released as the B-side of “Bela Lugosi’s Dead”
    Bauhaus to release ‘The Bela Session EP’ - The Metal Report

19. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

I really hope this isn't loudly mastered like the last 3 CDs of the 5CD set. That was a major disappointment after the well done Omnibus masterings of the first two.

20. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Never mind. I just pre-ordered the digital download and got to download Bela and the loud parts of the song have heavy limiting. Such a shame. I still look forward to hearing the songs but very disappointing this is the type of mastering they go with.

21. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Aw, c'mon. The Dead Can Dance reissues were fine. Not amazing, but certainly much better than the Cocteau Twins. [Edit: I see @thoutah already had something to say here!]

Anyway, I've been waffling on these, as I already have all the Bauhaus LPs on vinyl except for Press the Eject, and I think I'm gonna pass. Too much other stuff vying for my dollar the last few months of this year.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
    c-eling likes this.
  22. gomen ne

gomen ne -

Yeah - you're right. DR8 for the new Bela, and there probably is zero chance that the vinyl will be any less clipped.
    And as jimhb says above
    That usually means low DR as they bring up the quiet bits to the same level as the loud bits, or clip the loud peaks off.

Anyway, the big thing for me here is the sessions are being released. It does make you think twice about getting the coloured vinyl reissues of the studio albums though.

rnranimal likes this.
  23. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Entirely different label, though. Not Beggars Banquet or 4AD.

gomen ne likes this.
  24. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway Curated Iconic Half-Speed Punk

Flat Field UK LP is a killer, and Sky UK not far behind IMO. I've had loads of Burning on LP and none sound as great as Field and Sky, despite it being my favourite Bauhaus album. It was the only one to never get a UK pressing, the original was a German Alsdorf. A late 80s mid price reissue was IIRC UK, but sounded so bad it's hardly worth mentioning.

Old Mask LPs for me are long ago eclipsed by the Omnibus / Five Albums CDs, which as mentioned upthread really changed the sound and clarity of the album, for the better IMO. They must have gone back to an unprocessed master or something.

gomen ne likes this.
  25. gomen ne

gomen ne -

Oh - so do we know the track records of whoever is remastering these, or even whodunit?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.