The big disappointment: announced but never released

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by no time, Sep 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

Jethro Tull's 25th anniversary box set included an announcement of a second box, full of rarities and live tracks. It was eventually boiled down to Nightcap. Live compilations were proposed for the band's 30th and 50th anniversaries, but didn't appear.

Colin Moulding said, on a podcast interview, that "2009 will be the year of the XTC reissues," including unfinished outtakes that the individual members would finish off and release. That never happened. (We eventually did get Steven Wilson remixes of several XTC albums, which are highly recommended for fans of the group.)

Jon Anderson said he was compiling a live Yes anthology for that band's 50th anniversary, but he later said that the label vetoed the idea because it didn't want to spend the money on licensing the live recordings. Geoff Downes said that some sort of compilation was in the works, but so far there is no sign of it.

Leading up to the release of their latest album, the Annapolis band Starbelly said that they had recorded a third album that remains unreleased. Then, to rub it in, they called the new album Four. They're not a major-label act, so I'm not sure who, other than the band themselves, could have shelved the album. But if they themselves don't want it out, why tell us it exists?:realmad:

The Keystudio album by Yes was supposed to include a semi-new song ("The Second Time Around," which was the existing instrumental "Sign Language" with a new vocal track) but it was omitted, purportedly due to lack of space on the CD. But "Sign Language" is only three and a half minutes long, and Keystudio had more than five minutes of available space. I suspect that they changed their minds about releasing the track, and used the timing as an excuse.

Was there ever a completed Stampede running order? The unused album slicks show the same catalog number that was eventually assigned to Buffalo Springfield Again, which makes me think Stampede was just the working title of the not-yet-finished album.

The SNL people couldn't have known it, but Paul was visiting John at the Dakota when the original offer aired. Lennon & McCartney actually talked about grabbing guitars and showing up at the studio while the episode was still going. The scene is dramatized in the Two of Us made-for-TV movie.

2. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

I think it was supposed to have been remixed in stereo as well.

3. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

Aka COLD CUTS

RickH likes this.
  4. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

CSN played quite a few of those covers live back when they were still actively working on the Rubin/covers album...good stuff too, their arrangements suited the CSN sound to a T: "Ruby Tuesday", "Uncle John's Band", "Norwegian Wood", "Girl From The North Country"...quite a few audience tapes and whatnot circulate from those shows, they're out there. Probably find some of those performances on You Tube as well. They shoulda just swallowed their g-ddamn pride and buried their egos and finished the bloody album, it would have been a good 'un.

fenderesq likes this.
  5. fenderesq

fenderesq In Brooklyn It's The Blues / Heavy Bass 7-7

To quote Van Morrison; "Thanks for the information". I saw CS&N and CSN&Y and individually dozens of times in the beginning; the early days; but not in recent history... except for Crosby and Neil; Neil whenever and wherever I can. At shows famous and infamous and ones under the radar. Stills not in some time either. I've never heard them do these numbers but will cruse around the internet. The Rubin collaboration is really the part that intrigues me. He was a true visionary... in a sense a more modern more hands on John Hammond. They both were able to hear and see and help craft talent; depths and directions un-mined ; in many cases... genius and inspiration buried in plain sight.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
    ohnothimagen likes this.
  6. fenderesq

fenderesq In Brooklyn It's The Blues / Heavy Bass 7-7

I think I might have a link (a personal link, not a digital one) to get some deep background and information about the project. I usually don't like to make a pest of myself, but I will reach out and make the call. If I'm successful I'll post it here; if not it'll be just another big disappointment for the thread.

7. Blue Cactus

Blue Cactus Forum Resident

That one still hurts.

Just for the record, it was nixed by lawyers, not Jeff Lynne according to a reliable Mo-Fi source.

8. Blue Cactus

Blue Cactus Forum Resident

Badfinger - Timeless on vinyl which was supposed to be a 2-LP set with extra tracks not on the CD version. Only the CD version was ever released.

9. PTgraphics

PTgraphics Senior Member

The A&M years for Styx was supposed to be remastered and released around the time of the Greatest Hits CD came out (I think) but never materialized. Complete bummer.

10. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Tony Iommi mentioned in an interview about 2-3 years ago about Tony Martin era Black Sabbath reissues were in the works....still hoping.

11. Beamish13

Beamish13 Forum Resident

The The’s Gun Sluts (1997)

Maurice likes this.
  12. Beamish13

Beamish13 Forum Resident

The Wall Broadway musical, too

13. Beamish13

Beamish13 Forum Resident

Still waiting for The Line, the Cross, and the Curve on Blu-Ray, too

14. timnor

timnor Forum Resident

Tim Smith of Midlake. Harp ? How I miss his uplifting music.

kevimetal likes this.
  15. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

Would then become "Moving in Surround."

Billy Budapest and Farmer Mike like this.
  16. Chief

Chief Over 12,000 Served

Dr. Dre and Ice Cube - “Helter Skelter” (1995-96)
    Dr. Dre - “Detox” (2002-2011)
    The RZA - “The Cure” (1998 - ?)

Maurice, Dan Steely and Beamish13 like this.
  17. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident

Whatever happened to that Brian Wilson/Jeff Beck collaboration?

18. Stuggy

Stuggy Forum Resident

David Ackles compilation featuring all of his Elektra lps and bonus.
    I think there was even an ad in Mojo or Uncut taking up about half a page.
    Then it never appeared.

The Tim Buckley comprehensive reissue series releasing everything with bouus stuff. The family/estate mad an announcement saying they knew what was out there . & were going to release it all or something to that effect.
    it got as far as the 1st s/t lp with copious bonus on Rhino handmade then nothing further happened.

announcement predated the release of My Fleeting House dvd so I assumed it was part of teh campaign. Then it came out consciously not as comprehensive with footage as it could have been. Excluded great chunks of 1970 footage and 1974 OGWT stuff.
    There is not much Buckley visual footage so you would expect it to be collectable in one place and the compiler there didn't which i think was a shame. Wonder if there ever will be a one stop comprehensive visual footage document.

Playn jayn
    people have been saying for the last couple of decades that they want to compile everything that was released. Still hasn't happened hoe it might at some point.

Turkey bones & The Wild Dogs.
    obviously the greatest band that ever came out of Scotland need a comprehensive compilation with loads of live stuff.

Birthday party Minneapolis 1983
    Needs an official video release.
    Actually I'm not sure what has happened with their back catalogue since the band got the rights to their material back.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
  19. akmonday

akmonday Forum Resident

speaking of, i/o, which has been in the works forever

20. Stuggy

Stuggy Forum Resident

American music Club back catalogue hopefully with bonus tracks. I think that has been mentioned a few times over the last couple of decades.
    Hope it happens eventually.

Glad to see Thin White rope has the lps being remastered and reissued right now.

Beamish13 likes this.
  21. akmonday

akmonday Forum Resident

a limited edition version of that did come out; but it's disappointing as I don't believe the actual vocal tracks were ever final. so it sounds like demos. Levine put it out a couple of years ago.

Beamish13 likes this.
  22. akmonday

akmonday Forum Resident

the AMC stuff will happen, the ownership/possession of those tapes has been sorted out now. Now it's a matter of getting around to transferring them and making decisions on what comes out, and who puts it out.

23. Stuggy

Stuggy Forum Resident

Yeah I'm still hoping this is going to happen . I missed getting everything that came out in 2006 and could do with getting a new veedon fleece anyway.
    But definitely want an upgraded St Dominic's Preview

Davmoco and Blue Cactus like this.
  24. akmonday

akmonday Forum Resident

it came out as Keystudio. It's not unfinished or in-progress; they just stupidly decided to spread it across those two Keys to Ascencion albums with live material.

25. Stuggy

Stuggy Forum Resident

fantastic, look forward to it. Fingers crossed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.