Best Song on The Beatles’ ‘Rubber Soul’? Poll

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by A Saucerful of Scarlets, Sep 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer Thread Starter

What’s your favourite song on this legendary album?
    And, for this poll’s question, which side do you prefer? Side 1 or 2? (Stole this idea from the Beatles song of the year polls)

Mine’s Norwegian Wood. My only complaint? It’s too short. Second favourite is very close with Girl. The lyrics are some of the best story telling stuff they did and the sitar is stunning. The bass is also great. I just wish I could hear the song in stereo with centered vocals! My favourite side is Side 1 but not by much.
    My guess is In My Life will lead by a lot, followed by Norwegian Wood, followed by Nowhere Man

For other Beetle polls:
    Best Song on The Beatles' 'Please Please Me' Poll?
    The Best Song on The Beatles ‘With the Beatles’ Poll
    Best Song on The Beatles’ ‘A Hard Day’s Night’ Poll
    Best Song on The Beatles' 'Beatles For Sale' Poll?
    Best Song on The Beatles’ ‘Help!’ Album? Poll
    Best Song on The Beatles' 'Past Masters, Vol. 1' Poll?

2. SoundDoctor

SoundDoctor Forum Resident

In My Life

3. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer Thread Starter

4. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Dayman, fighter of the Nightman

Lately ‘You Won’t See Me’ has been my favorite.

Side 1 is definitely my favorite side.

5. The Hole Got Fixed

The Hole Got Fixed Owens, Poell, Saberi

6. abzach

abzach Forum Resident

Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)

Aftermath, Crimson Witch and dlokazip like this.
  7. Binni

Binni Forum Resident

In My Life

Crimson Witch likes this.
  8. dbone828

dbone828 Only Visiting This Planet

In My Life

Crimson Witch likes this.
  9. My fav Fab Four album, gone for In My Life as it moves me every time I hear it

10. Sick Sick Phil

Sick Sick Phil Forum Resident

In My Life because it is the greatest song of all time.

11. RedRoseSpeedway

RedRoseSpeedway Music Lover

Feel like I should vote for In My Life, but I voted If I Needed Someone

fishcane and Crimson Witch like this.
  12. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

Michelle

Probably goes for me the most middling Beatles song ever, as in, it feels like a latter era and early era song at once. I get the entire album is like this, but more than any other track this one feels like it could be from 1960 or 1969. Great lyric.

Credit to In My Life on the grounds of me thinking "that's definitely some harpsicord right" but of course it's a piano at 2x speed... good job guys.

13. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

Sooner or later you’re going to run out of albums to ask “what’s your favorite song?”with. You just might have to think of another angle to post tons of threads about.

Ratto and humpf like this.
  14. Jeff Minn

Jeff Minn Senior Member

Always had a soft spot for Nowhere Man. Followed very closely by, In My Life.

john lennonist and Crimson Witch like this.
  15. Hermes

Hermes Past Master

Run for your Life is the most courageous song by a beatle.

16. humpf

humpf Allowed to write something here.

However great the album is, this one is easy: Nowhere Man.

17. Remy

Remy Forum Resident

Another Nowhere Man vote!

john lennonist and Crimson Witch like this.
  18. Joseph Marshall

Joseph Marshall Interstellar Burst...

I voted for Nowhere Man. Was tough to choose between that, In My Life and Norwegian Wood. John was absolutely nailing it in this era. Absolutely revolutionary..and it was 19frickin65!!!!???!!

19. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

Too hard! My favourite Beatles album. Lennon's finest songwriting moment IMO.

I went with In My Life, it's just perfect, and it gets me emotionally every time. But there are other four or five songs I could have picked.

20. Joseph Marshall

Joseph Marshall Interstellar Burst...

What I find infinitely interesting about Lennon and McCartney's songwriting partnership is each blossomed in their own era. Lennon truly drove The Beatles into super-stardom w/ his fantastic songs from the early studio albums and many of the singles, IMO. For example, if it was left to Paul to carry the bulk of the songwriting duties in the early days I don't believe they would've maintained (or reached) the super-stardom they did. Lets face it, Please Please Me, With The Beatles, A Hard Days Night (big time), The Beatles For Sale and Help were all Lennon heavy albums and one could argue even "Lennon defined" albums. Whereas as when we reach Rubber Soul both of them are in total competition. Then as well all know, Lennon's writing (in quantity not quality) fell off a bit as we entered the Sgt. Peppers' era and Paul picked up the creative slack. It is quite amazing how as McCartney was developing his chops more and more, Lennon had his back pushing things creatively. And likewise Paul did the same for Lennon in the latter years.

Apologies for waffling on -- but Rubber Soul in my opinion is where they both reached a muutal "intersection" of unparalleled creativity on an album format. Yes, of course Macca had a heavy in their early success, and could write fantastic songs very early on -- and yes, they co-wrote many excellent tunes together in the early days that shot them into the stratosphere in America in 1964 . But at the end of it all, I feel Lennon was the springboard for the group to reach the artistic plane that became "Rubber Soul" allowing Paul the time to really sharpen his own personal craft....Again, I feel Rubber Soul is the proof of this -- BOOM they are both total equals and there was no looking back.

21. Brian Mc

Brian Mc Member

#1 Nowhere Man
    #2 In My Life
    #3 Norwegian Wood, Girl

Nowhere Man is as perfect as any song to ever hit vinyl. Those fantastic harmonies, the lyrics are so powerful, the guitar, drums, everything just perfection.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
  22. David Austin

David Austin Eclectically Coastal

'In My Life' - but there are a lot of close runners up.

23. schnitzerphilip

schnitzerphilip "Modern Dad" Unlocked Award

Where is I’ve Just Seen A Face ?

Suncola, keithdylan, drad dog and 2 others like this.
  24. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

Girl. Not only favourite from RS album, but one of my all time favourite songs by any artist.

rocnred, BDC, Crimson Witch and 2 others like this.
  25. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

Well.... since "Think for yourself" is my favorite Beatle recording ever... it is also my favorite Rubber Soul track ! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.