New Version of the Beatles ‘Let it Be’ Film to be Released!?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mickey2, Sep 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mickey2

Mickey2 Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. Well if Paul is saying so, I would venture that it's a pretty good indication it's finally actually going to happen. I'm usually against the idea of re-writing history, but in the case the history itself is a bit flawed in leaving an overly gloomy impression of the actual sessions, so additional footage of the band actually enjoying playing together is more than welcome. And as the numerous outtakes that have surfaced over the years more than demonstrate, the technical qualities of the film are long due for a substantial overhaul/upgrade in any case...

3. Well Paul wouldn't be the only one who wanted this to be "re-written". Ringo was one of the main reasons the original wasn't released before as I recall and because it depressed him.

4. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Forum Resident

I just believe in this with the product in my hands.

5. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

I'm with you on this one but I would love to get an expanded version.

6. schnitzerphilip

schnitzerphilip "Modern Dad" Unlocked Award

Suddenly, taking Revolution 9 off the White Album in exchange for Hey Jude doesn't sound so intrusive.

Tones, phil.jp, saborlord123 and 27 others like this.
  7. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

There's probably gobs of other footage that can replace the dreariness. It needs a make-over and whatever revisioning will get it released again.

Yet can the drear really be replaced in that film? It's etched all over it.

8. Hoover Factory

Hoover Factory Old Dude Who Knows Things

My preference would be for the original, warts and all. But, I’m not going to complain if a revamped version is issued instead. It’s better than nothing.

Plus, I much prefer Let it Be Naked to the original album, so a new film might be pretty good.

9. Keep your copy of the old film, and buy the new one.

As evident by this forum, there can never be enough Beatles.

10. Mickey2

Mickey2 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'd like to have both, the original and whatever extended don't-drag-me-down version they come up with.

Any guess at the title?

Let It Be... Dressed Up
    Let It Be... Lipstick On A Pig
    Let It Be... Happier
    Let It Be... Anything But The Original
    Let It Be... Less Engelbert Humperdinck

11. spsimmons

spsimmons Forum Resident

I've never seen the original, so I won't know the difference. I hope this happens!

12. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Yes like how all those films about the Titanic sinking make it seem so overly gloomy

I'm guessing they're going to include the original cut as well. Hopefully the additional footage is illuminating

13. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

Paul's concluding comment "Who knows, that may be happening in a year or two" would seem to confirm what many on this forum have been suggesting for some time, namely that the re-issue of the 'Let It Be' film in whatever form - remastered or reinvented - will likely happen in 2020, the film's 50th anniversary year.

14. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

I'm hoping that David Lynch puts together the final version and they get Angelo Badalamenti to do the soundtrack.
    John Williams is waaaaay too 'pop'!

:--)

15. Ricky Minerva

Ricky Minerva Forum Resident

Glynn Johns in a BBC interview thought the film was worse the Spector's lp,
    becuase he thought A.Klien had it edited it so that only the beatles were in every scene.
    He seemed to have enjoyed his time on the set.

ODIrony and Mkirk like this.
  16. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Let It Be...re-issued
    Let It Be...better
    And
    Let It Rot (Rutles)

17. Maranatha5585

Maranatha5585 BELLA + RIP In Memoriam

I've had the ''Let It Be'' movie this entire time.. it has been available on DVD for years,
    just not an official release. I remember when it was available on Beta and VHS tapes.
    I would like to see what they come up with as far as unseen rare footage, that would be
    my sole interest. They should definitely include the original film, and make it a proper
    release with the very best audio and video available. And... lots of easter eggs! :)

Paulwalrus and oboogie like this.
  18. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

Let It Beatles.
    You Become Naked.
    Dig It.

19. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Only seen bits of the original film—and I should have paid closer attention at the time, as it’s not easily found now.

Hopefully this comes with a treasure trove of unreleased recordings from the Get Back sessions, if this happens.

Paulwalrus likes this.
  20. Beamish13

Beamish13 Forum Resident

I hate revisionist nonsense, especially when it attempts to destroy the canon version of a work. How incredibly disrespectful to
    Michael Lindsay-Hogg, too.

21. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

This has been my hope as well whenever people mention the possibility of a new cut of the film. It's great if they make good use of all the extra footage with a new edbut the original version must be included IMO.

22. Diamond Star Halo

Diamond Star Halo Forum Resident

The movie is boring. There is a great film lurking somewhere in all of that footage.

psubliminal, JLGB, ODIrony and 28 others like this.
  23. Mooserfan

Mooserfan Forum Resident

Let It Be Out.

skisdlimit, MikeMig, dewey02 and 14 others like this.
  24. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

You could really re-cut it and re-sell it for the 21st century as ‘The Beatles; the reality TV mini series’; ‘It’s day 7 at Twickenham Studios, and George is having issues with Pauls attitude’ etc etc.

25. schnitzerphilip

schnitzerphilip "Modern Dad" Unlocked Award

This. Forget 'originality'. Let It Be is a terrible bore.

The rooftop concert alone runs about 25 minutes, and they can find 30 minutes of quality studio footage plus 10 minutes of intro footage (candid stuff around London of the boys in 1970) and 10 minutes of outro footage (interviews about the enduring legacy of the band) to make a 75 minute film that is enjoyable and not a view of 4 unwashed and tired men bickering.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.