Finished Deadwood, Lost, Mad Men.. What's next?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by alexpop, Jan 2, 2014.

1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits.... Thread Starter

Don't have Netflix.

2. The first season of American Horror Story is quite good, but it's a self-contained season. The show's ratings were good enough that they brought the show back, but with a completely different premise using mostly the same actors.

No matter how much you end up enjoying season one, ignore the temptation to watch any AHS after it. The show's anthology premise devolves into less and less interesting ideas each season.

http://doblu.com/2012/10/06/american-horror-story-the-complete-first-season-review/

Scotian and alexpop like this.
  3. alexpop

I like a show with a continuity storyline ala LOST or Breaking Bad.

4. luckybaer

luckybaer Thinks The Devil actually beat Johnny

I kinda like "Suits." Other series I'm in the process of watching: "The Closer," "House," "Chuck." :)

5. alexpop

IMDb : pretty poor ratings.

6. alexpop

Stepfather?
    Young in that, and with hair. :)

Scotian likes this.
  7. alexpop

(Jesse Pinkman ) Aaron Paul is going to be full member of the cast starting in season 3. Just gets better.

slipkid and FVDnz like this.
  8. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

I still need to begin Season 2 of Westworld along with Season 2 and 3 of Preacher as well.

For the meantime, beginning the new Sons of Anarchy spinoff, Mayans MC.

alexpop likes this.
  9. alexpop

Ditto re; season 2 of Westworld.

Re; Aaron Paul's Westworld character, don't know if he'll be playing a human or robot.

10. alexpop

Mayans FC looks interesting. Wasn't a big fan of SOB( watched the complete series ).

11. alexpop

That should be SOA, not the Julie Andrews film. :D

12. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

I felt the 1st episode of Mayans was weak, but maybe my expectations were too high? Regardless, the 2nd episode was better so I'm hopeful!

13. It got canceled after two short seasons, but The Arrangement is a well-done series about a Scientology-like cult running the life of a Hollywood star. Ran on the E! channel, but it's a fascinating drama series.

alexpop likes this.
  14. Gramps Tom

Gramps Tom Forum Resident

I just finished Season 1 of BILLIONS, a compelling Showtime series loosely based on a true story. Stars Paul Giamatti (plays a US Attorney), and Damian Lewis (plays a shady billionaire Hedge Fund Manager). Paul's wife plays a coach/psychologist for the fund. NUMEROUS plot twists....

Just ordered Season 2. Season 3 will be released very soon, and Season 4 is about to premiere.

PhantomStranger and Brenald79 like this.
  15. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Billions gets progressively better with each season, terrific show!

16. alexpop

Seen the last season of Penny Dreadful, again Eva Green, that lady can act. I nearly gave it a 9/10, but climax episode ending let it down.

American Gods
    American Horror Story
    The Americans
    Braquo
    Ripper Street
    I got recently ..check out later.

17. alexpop

America Gods.
    Watched disc 1 ( 3 episodes)
    Seems a case of style over substance.
    Does it get better ?

18. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

For me, American Gods was good enough to make me seek out the book, which is even better than the show!;)

19. alexpop

American Gods 7/10
    Not bad. Didn't love it.

20. alexpop

American Gods --7/10 stylish.
    The Americans.. this I'll watch !
    so far a 7-10
    Braquo .. gave up after 1 episide, pedestrian standard french cop show.
    Ripper Street .. gave up after 1 episode, couldn't find anything remarkable about it.

21. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

The Americans is a good one all the way through, with a GREAT series finale!

alexpop likes this.
  22. alexpop

After a false start with American Gods CGI heaven for some :) theological mirth.watched it all. Moved on to Ripper Street which was fish n chips Victorian detective series, wasn't impressed with episode one, eject.
    Barquo .not impressed, eject.
    Moved on to The Americans ...ah this is better ..liked it immediately. 80s period doesn't look quite right. I only have season 1&2 have to wait till October for complete box. But ..realise it's all subjective nice to find something that's appealing. Vikings 5 is out soon I'll get it.

23. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

That's a rare series that I abandoned (after Season 5) despite styaing with it for multiple years. I found it getting too downer & slow/tedious (for lack of a better description). And the melodrama with Paige was boring the crap out of me, had the potential to be really exciting/explosive but just kept dragging on and on until I got sick of it.

alexpop likes this.
  24. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I actually stopped at the beginning of S5 after 1 episode. It was too dark/slow for me at the time. Went back to it and caught up while S6 was near the end. It ends well. Philip won an Emmy for best Actor.

alexpop likes this.
  25. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I cheated. I lost interest at some point and stopped watching. A friend of mine told me to just watch the series finale. I did and found that whatever I missed really wasn't necessary to understand and appreciate the finale. Let's face it, the finale was pretty much what everybody was waiting for. It was that Hank finding out that Walt is Heisenberg moment. Only The Americans saved that ultimate discovery or the confirmation of that suspicion on the part of Stan Beeman for the very last episode.