The big disappointment: announced but never released

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by no time, Sep 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greenoort

greenoort Forum Resident

You can find them online now, but Brian Wilson has like 3 solo albums not released officially. "Adult/Child" is the most interesting to me, pretty much a continuation of "Love You" spiritually, and its not bad at all, pretty good. I wonder how it would've done if it came out , with or without the other beach boys on it. Brian also re-recorded a handful of tracks in the 70s from the Beach Boys 1968 album "Friends", the reason I can't remember why, but those haven't been released either.

2. TimB

TimB Pop, Rock and Blues for me!

I am not sure how good it would be electrified. I would love to here how it would sound. Nebraska is such a dark album to begin with.

3. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

About five or so years ago, the reissue label Gold Legion announced plans for expanded reissues of the Grace Jones late 80s albums Inside Story and Bulletproof Heart, unfortunately the label went belly-up and they never came out.

Simon A and pghmusiclover like this.
  4. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

I think he realized it when George died. Maybe it should just remain there. Except for rhe rooftop concert. That should be out there.

5. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

One of Prince's engineers from the 80s (Susan Rogers?) has said that Prince didnt have the patience to wait around while the engineering staff spent a large amount of time getting the sound "just right" and cared far more about getting a good/inspired performance on tape, and not being slowed down/reigned in by "technicalities". When he was on a roll he'd often go immediately from instrument to instrument overdubbing everything himself and took no more of a break changing instruments between takes than it took to rewind the tape, so oftentimes the engineers had to "get the sounds" on the fly while Prince was playing/recording, as he didn't want his creativity/inspiration interrupted/infringed upon.

So it could be in most cases that its more down to bad recording than bad mixing with much of Prince's stuff. Even so a remix could possibly improve things a little bit, but I wouldn't expect any miracles.

Also IIRC much of the Purple Rain album (aside from the concert recordings on side 2 of course) wasn't recorded in a proper studio, but rather in a warehouse (that they were using as a rehearsal space) with a mobile recording truck, so I don't even think Wilson could do much with those tapes.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
  6. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

The Small Faces - Autumn Stone Deluxe Edition - :D

Sean, Tuck1977 and Dennis Metz like this.
  7. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

Along those lines, there were two rumored albums by Grace back in the 1990's "Force Of Nature" and "Black Marilyn", that never saw the light of day (though some of the tracks eventually did).

Maurice likes this.
  8. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

There was artwork for that album? Were that the photos later (or earlier) used for the US Big Hits (High Tide And Green Grass)?

9. boe

boe Forum Resident

Never announced but widely anticipated: a video from the Kate Bush "Before the Dawn" concerts. I think a lot of fans thought that it was almost a foregone conclusion.

10. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Yes i believe so.

11. Mickey2

Mickey2 Forum Resident

That's a good point. I hadn't thought of that. It might have been upsetting to some people to see so soon after his death. However, George has been gone for 17 years now, and it will be close to 20 by 2020. So perhaps the time is right for release.

12. BwanaBob

BwanaBob Forum Resident

I've wrote about this before, so forgive the repetition.

In a 1977ish interview in Creem magazine Ian Anderson (Jethro Tull) mentions a song that'll be on their next album. It had the lyric, "I looked for Hare Krishna, but Harry wasn't home".

Needless to say that track still hasn't appeared on any of the Steven Wilson "empty the cupboards" versions of the 1970's Tull catalog. I now suspect it may have been a lyric for the track "Advertising Man" which didn't get released on the Too Old to Rock'n'Roll Too Young To Die expanded edition because it was incomplete/backing track only. We'll never know.

13. Nightswimmer

Nightswimmer Forum Resident

It may have been just a joke or a song that was intended to be a joke. Sounds certainly like Ian Anderson's humor. But I think to release this today would be rather pointless.

Simon A likes this.
  14. Nightswimmer

Nightswimmer Forum Resident

I guess demand is slight for these mediocre 80s albums that are plentiful on vinyl and not very sought after.

15. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Sounds like a joke for mine!

16. The art never made it beyond rough sketches though. However, the Big Hits photo was also considered for Aftermath, and cover slicks were produced.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  17. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

The songs was recorded during the Born In The U.S.A. sessions with the band to see how they worked; the only song Bruce thought worked was Atlantic City but still felt it wasn't as good as the demo which became Nebraska.
    There was never any "Electric Nebraska" album recorded, though there are surely takes of most if not all the songs recorded (around 90 I think was the count for Born In The U.S.A. - Brucebase would know better, though even then there's always songs Bruce recorded but where even the titles never leaked out)

This really isn't anything that was ever announced though, not even a "lost album" - just some recordings, some demos...

TimB and lordfalconer like this.
  18. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

But I want it a LOT!!! ;)

19. pathosdrama

pathosdrama Forum Resident

This is hugely disappointing, especially because there is a completed album that got shelved that, according to more than one opinion, is more than good.

michanes likes this.
  20. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

I remember it was even given a catalogue number by Universal. As i saw it, i sold my "Variations on a Theme: Red House" disc for a good price, as i though i'd get a better sounding version of Royal Albert Hall version in a few months. Well, it's been 17 years now.

michanes and John Fell like this.
  21. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Interesting! Are there pics of those around?

22. Clucking

Clucking Elixir of Life

Back around 2000, Bela Fleck and the Flecktones released a full soumdboard recording of a concert to the trading community, with the note that it would be the first in a series of soundboards given to tape-traders. None ever came after that. :(

23. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

Quincy Jones, The Dude on Audio Fidelity SACD. I even preordered it at Importcds.com. :shake:

Simon A and TheSeldomSeenKid like this.
  24. A quick web search didn't turn it up, but I recall seeing a picture of it in Record Collector some years ago.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  25. Osato

Osato Forum Resident

George Michael - Listen Without Prejudice Vol. 2

pwhytey, Simon A, Sean and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.