Bob Dylan - Bootleg Series Volume 15 (Travelin’ Thru 1967-1969 (1st November 2019) *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mbd77, Sep 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LonesomeDayBlues

LonesomeDayBlues Forum Resident

80s period for me

The MEZ and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  2. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

Can we just have The Complete John Wesley Harding Sessions please?

3. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

The voice is totally unacceptable at the Supper Club. A squeeky high-pitched helium filled nasal bird-trill. The reason the concerts haven't been put out is that they would only humiliate Dylan, result in an endless parade of vicious comedy-skit impressions, and injure his career and reputation. The singing is that bad. Worse than that, even.

I agree that Dylan recovered his presence of mind and self-awareness at the MTV gig and was in very fine voice.

The MEZ, SoundDoctor, Wugged and 7 others like this.
  4. Richard--W

Not so. You are mistaken.

5. RoyalPineapple

RoyalPineapple It ain't me in the photo, babe.

I haven't heard all the 1965 tapes (I don't own them), so certainly can't comment with any authority.

But the ones I have heard sounded rough due to slightly dodgy recording practises, rather than the format they were contained within.

6. fallbreaks

fallbreaks Forum Resident

I don't care for his voice on the Supper Club dates at all, but his band is pretty great. I think a video release is probably the way to go, but again, it's not strong enough to stand on its own. Throwing it in with other professionally filmed but otherwise unreleased movies would get it out there but give it some context.

7. kuddukan

kuddukan Forum Resident

My hope for BS 15 is LIVE 1975: The Rolling Thunder Revue, Complete Edition.

8. Richard--W

The format they were contained within degenerated the perfectly professional line recordings and the audience tapes as well.

But, if you were correct, and the master tapes were rough, so what?
    The 1965 audience tapes sound much clearer than the 1966 audience tapes officially released in The Live 1966 Recordings brick.
    The entire, historic tour of England in April and May 1965, the BBC in June, Newport in July and a couple of other important shows are line recordings.
    The UK tapes were carefully recorded by Richard Alderson and by the film crew and are professional enough to make fine vinyl sets. No dodgy practises there.

9. Tom Schreck

Tom Schreck Forum Resident

@Sean Murdock will come through with The Murdock List at some point

10. RoyalPineapple

I'd be happy with a CD release of the 1965 shows, but I don't think it would do much to improve the sound quality. They were originally released as 320kbps mp3s, which shouldn't sound inferior to a lossless CD unless they were incompetently encoded.

If the tapes sound "distant, hollow and faded" then it's likely just because that's how they were recorded, or because the tapes have deteriorated somewhat with age.

11. rihajarvi

rihajarvi Forum Resident

it's been ages since i saw dont look back; do the songs from the first half of the may 9th RAH gig sound as off in the movie as they do on the copyright collection?

12. I'm all in for expanded Triplicate Standards Sessions Box covering every Sinatra album on Capitol.

13. Richard--W

Perhaps I wasn't being clear.
    The professional line recordings sound fine, exactly as they should.
    The three concerts recorded by Columbia are in outstanding quality.

It is the mp3 download that renders the sound "distant, hollow and faded."

mightyquinn61 likes this.
  14. Richard--W

No, the film's audio sounds fine. I think some of the audio is from a different night than the concert being shown. But for quality the audio tapes are everything they should be.

The 8 UK concerts are complete and merit a box-set of their own as well as vinyl releases.

mightyquinn61 likes this.
  15. WhenSheDidCome

WhenSheDidCome Well-Known Member

John Wesley Harding sessions is the only place to go next. Especially if I'M COLD doesn't exist.

Maybe when Bobby kicks it and Sara finally gets a book out when the NDA she signed after the divorce evaporates they will do a full "WEDDING SONG" -> "SARA" box set "THE DIVORCE YEARS".

ronbow likes this.
  16. RoyalPineapple

This shouldn't be the case unless the files have been very incompetently encoded.

TimeandTempo likes this.
  17. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

I would buy that.

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  18. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Whether it's feasible or not idk, but i would love some stuff from the tour with tom petty and the heartbreakers.
    The tour i saw in perth was great and there must be a full concert video somewhere.
    The whole show was great but the acoustic lenny bruce and it's alright ma were a wonderful surprise.
    If they did it, it would be a nice tip of the hat to include the petty set also.

19. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

I vote for #3

Shvartze Shabbos likes this.
  20. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

That would be cool.

What do we know about the sessions?

What would be on it that would make a..

"Before The Slow Train Rolled: The John Wesley Harding Sessions"

..inner'esting?

Chemguy likes this.
  21. Champagne Boot

Champagne Boot Ain't nothin' gonna break my stride

There was a dodgy DVD of one of those shows, but it’s been OOP for years.

mark winstanley likes this.
  22. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

And hell no, no more Sinatra covers. I finally did enjoy many of the songs late at night. But its played out as much as Dylans missippi gambler quoting old southern phrases persona.

Move on to a rock n roll record like he started back to on Love And Theft (eventhough much of that was stolen also) ...I want some rock n rollish Bob. i want some electric crunchin ramshackled guitar with Bob in a fury liquid draino drenched voice.

Vinyl_Blues and Shvartze Shabbos like this.
  23. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Yea i know, i never got it because it seemed dodgy and very short ... but i figure there must be more footage. Surely someone realised bob and tom was a big bill to be recorded.

24. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

What is this Mississippi gambler persona you speak of ?

25. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

What Id still like to see is a RTR style BS of Bob in the 2000's. A 30 song best of from the 00 concert years.

"Flaggin' Down The 00's: Bob Dylan Live 2000-2005"

NumberEight and mightyquinn61 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.