Rega RX5

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by rpd, Aug 26, 2018.

1. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

I have owned both the Bronze and Exact and imo the Rega is the better cart. Bronze is excellent so you can't go wrong, but I feel the Rega is better balanced and better tracker.

For the P6 you also may need at least 2mm spacers with the Ortofon. Ok back to the speaker topic :)

Maccaroni likes this.
  2. Guth

Guth Music Lover

It's interesting that you would note this. At one point when I still had my RP3 I inquired with my local Rega dealer about the thought of using one of the Ortofon cartridges, either the 2M Bronze or the 2M Black. (I was using a Dynavector 10x5 on my RP3 at that time). I was rather surprised to find out that they weren't terribly excited about that idea. As it turns out, they thought highly of Ortofon cartridges but they weren't so crazy about them when mounted on the Rega turntables (which they also love of course). I wasn't sure if this was down to the cartridge/tonearm interface or something else. I didn't press the issue since at that time I was really only inquiring due to all that I'd read about the Ortofons online. I'm not always in agreement with dealers and I still wouldn't mind giving one a listen. Based on what I've read around here the 2M Bronze sounds like the one I'd get along best with.

3. rpd

rpd Senior Member Thread Starter

I’m disappointed, but I guess these things happen. This was a demo pair with full warranty, but I assume it’s only repair not replace. I will ask however....

4. Maccaroni

Maccaroni Forum Resident

Would you say they have different sound signatures? I've heard both in isolation - and they both sound great - however I need to test them head to head on the same setup .

My expectation from various forums is that the Rega will be a little warmer, and that's something that I think I'm looking for - but the proof will come in the demo I guess.

5. Echoes Myron

Yes the Exact is warmer with great detail. I would call the Bronze detailed and more neutral but smooth. Both are very nice carts.

Maccaroni likes this.
  6. rpd

Isn’t this an RX5 thread?

Catcher10 and Echoes Myron like this.
  7. Echoes Myron

yes apologies.

8. rpd

No worries

9. Maccaroni

Maccaroni Forum Resident

Me too. I asked the question, 14cc was just politely answering (thanks BTW).

10. rpd

No worries

I love all things Rega, so I get it. Check my profile

Maccaroni likes this.
  11. Guth

Guth Music Lover

Everyone was just doing their best to try and keep your mind off of the tweeter issue.

Sorry, for some reason when you mentioned that they "had arrived" I was thinking they were new and had to be ordered by your dealer, forgetting that you noted earlier that they were a demo pair.

12. rpd

What feet do you guys use for the RX5’s on hardwood floors. Mine only came with spikes...

13. rpd

No one?

14. Guth

Guth Music Lover

For many years I had been using some small metal footers made by Lovan. I've used them under the spikes of my speaker stands or under the spikes of the floorstanding speakers I've owned as well as under the spikes of my audio rack. With the RX3's I just ended up setting the spikes down directly on the oak flooring.

15. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

They only come with the metal spikes. I only use the front spikes, as the upward tilt really enhances the stage and imaging. On the back I have some of those round furniture pads stuck to the floor. The back of the RX5 just sit on them, taking them completely off was too much, lose some imaging. but the spikes all the way up it was not enough I found after probably a week of testing back and forth.

[​IMG]

I understand the whole coupling to floor thing, but I find the RX5 enclosures do a great job on their own, very little to no resonance....even cranking the Parasound Halo volume past 12 o'clock.........clean.

YMMV

16. Maccaroni

Maccaroni Forum Resident

Picked up my Planar 6 today - the dealer has loaned me a set of RX3s, and they sound great.

He has offered to let me keep them for a few days and then let me swap them out for the 5s. If the 5s are better, then it's going to be mind-blowing, because the 3s sound pretty good to me.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  17. Guth

Guth Music Lover

I'm guessing that it will likely come down to which speaker is the best fit for your room size.

Have you experimented with the placement of the side-firing woofer and if so, which configuration did you find works best in your room? If you ended up with the RX3s pointed outwards towards the side walls then it's possible that you might find the larger RX5 tend to sound better with the woofers pointed inwards.

Maccaroni likes this.
  18. KWJ

KWJ Forum Resident

I use the spikes that came with them direct to the floor I have tried
    them with a set of 1.5" dia. and 1/4" thick stainless steel floor protection discs
    but I prefer them direct to the floor

19. Maccaroni

Maccaroni Forum Resident

That's tonight. Last night I just hooked it all together and spun a few records (the cartridge needs to break in as well). I had them pointing inward for no particular reason other than needing to start somewhere, but tonight I'll make the minor adjustments to the furniture int he room to get them closer to their currently imagined resting spot, then start experimenting. last night all I wanted to do was sit back with a glass of red and enjoy (I have been systemless for about 8 weeks).

From memory my room is fairly similar in size to yours Guth, so problems on the "filling the room" front, but it will still be interesting to see what happens with the 5s in place.

20. Maccaroni

Maccaroni Forum Resident

So I have the RX5s in place.

They seem more cohesive to my ears. Slightly fuller in the lower end gives the sound more heft, or body. With the 3s each individual element of the sound was excellent, however I find myself not paying attention to the elements with the 5s, but rather, just listening to the music .

Are they $1000 better? Probably not. However the dealer has offered me the demo speakers I have taken home for $300 more than the price of new RX3s - I think I'll take him up on that offer.

21. Guth

Guth Music Lover

I would definitely suggest going with the model that sounded the best to your ears, especially when the additional cost is largely negated. I’m guessing that the lukewarm reviews of the RX5 in the past largely had to do with a room mismatch.

Maccaroni likes this.
  22. plimpington2

plimpington2 Forum Resident

I’m a bit late to this thread, but I have had my RX-5’a for about 2 years now. I’ve owned several Rega speakers over the last 20 years (Ela Mk1’s, Mk2’s, alyas, kytes I think - I still have the old fluted Ela’s).

My room is big - about 15 by 30. 8 or 9 foot ceilings. I run mine firing across the short axis with woofers facing inward. They sit with two back spikes on hard stone hearth embedded in the floor, and the front spikes on hardwood. Toe in (as is my wont) is very minimal.

I originally ran the Rx-5’s with Naim Nait 5XS, which obviously worked very well. Now I run them with a 15 watt el-84 based integrated. I like mostly jazz and vocal. Source is a mid-level LP12 with ortofon MC (and sometimes MM).

They have ZERO problem pressurizing my room. My little Leben has no trouble driving them authoritatively and without breaking a sweat. They def sound better with woofers facing onwards than outward. I feel the speakers are pretty well balanced, and have worked better with tubes than I would have imagined.

Without being at all unhappy with them, I have listened to MANY speakers over the last two years and have determined, finally, that I will need to spend about $7500 to $8500 to better them meaningfully. I like the Graham LS5/9’s (but not the various Harbeths at or near that price) and I THINK I like the DeVore O/93’s better (but I’m not 100% convinced they are meaningfully better, or that some aspect of their sound would be a deal breaker for me).

Judd

Catcher10 and Maccaroni like this.
  23. KWJ

KWJ Forum Resident

I figured you would go with the 5's enjoy I think mine are amazing

Maccaroni likes this.
  24. Marshall_SLX

Marshall_SLX Rega P9/RB2000

Has anyone ever compared RS5's to RX5's? I know the RX5 comes in at a higher price point and is really a replacement for the RS7 but any opinions would be welcome.

@rpd nice rig BTW mate, i too am a Rega nut check my profile... just havnt ever found a pair of nice Exon 3's unfortunately

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
  25. rpd

Thanks!

Go look again. Also recently added the Rega Isis to the fold!

Last edited: Nov 3, 2018