Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

Totally agree. :) The 7th, 8th and 9th by Dohnanyi and the CO used to be available as a set (maybe is still available, or obtainable second-hand) and is absolutely superb. Great performances. Audiophile sound too.

Edit. Just found this :
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
    hvbias likes this.
  2. Åke Bergvall

Åke Bergvall Forum Resident

Then you have probably already heard another excellent Stravinsky recording by Herreweghe, with the Symphony of Psalms, the Mass and a few other choral items: https://www.amazon.com/Monumentum-Mass-Symphonie-Psaumes-STRAVINSKY/dp/B002VD5DZG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1537192132&sr=8-1&keywords=Stravinsky:+Monumentum+-+Mass+-+Symphonie+de+Psaumes&dpID=51OLVL4RSyL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch.

I'm sorry to say that I just received a mail (like many others I'm sure) cancelling the Menuhin box. I'm tempted to get it from jpc instead for €99. Not as good as £35 but still not bad.

3. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I am very familiar with Arrau's analog cycle of the Beethoven piano sonatas. Is there anything in the later digital cycle worth hearing performance wise?

4. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Nope. The sound is lovely, but the playing is slow and unexciting.

hvbias likes this.
  5. Octave

Octave Shake Appeal

No, I have not heard that Herreweghe. It goes to the top of the queue!
    Also disappointed about the Menuhin. I have this bad feeling I shouldn't have mentioned it...I jinxed us all. </grandiose paranoia>

By coincidence:

[​IMG]
    Kurt Weill: BERLINER REQUIEM, VIOLIN CONCERTO, etc. (Philippe Herreweghe - HM, 1992)

Also Stravinsky's Threni, cond. composer from Sony big box.

hvbias likes this.
  6. George P

[​IMG]

Enjoying this lovely disc! energetically played, beautiful sound.

Next up, Karajan playing the 5 symphonies.

Wes H and Eigenvector like this.
  7. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying Mendelssohn's first symphony from the above box set. The recording is from 1972.

Wes H likes this.
  8. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying Mendelssohn's fifth symphony from the above box set. It's great to be listening to these symphonies, as I have only heard them once before. I plan to hear all five in the next few days.

Marzz and Wes H like this.
  9. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying these performances from the aforementioned Karajan set. Karajan's 3rd is both powerful and dramatic.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
    Marzz, crispi and Wes H like this.
  10. Octave

Octave Shake Appeal

[​IMG]

Prokofiev: WAR AND PEACE
    (Mariinsky/Gergiev - Decca)

Finally putting the wraps on this set of Gergiev's Prok operas. I'd been procrastinating listening to WAP for months: kind of a haul (almost 4 hours), but enjoyable.

11. George P

[​IMG]

Having recommended this set recently, I wanted to revisit it. Now enjoying the first symphony.

Marzz, crispi, Wes H and 2 others like this.
  12. Octave

Octave Shake Appeal

[​IMG]

Kurt Weill: STRATAS SINGS WEILL (Teresa Stratas, Gerard Schwarz et al - Nonesuch, 1986)

Play it to the rafters, girl! I will also be listening to her earlier UNKNOWN WEILL album soon.

Also RISE & FALL OF CITY OF MAHAGONNY dir. Latham-Koenig (Capriccio).

Marzz likes this.
  13. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Arrau playing Annees de Pelereinage was in my heavy rotation since I received the box. These are exemplary performances particularly on La Chapelle and Valle d'Oberman. This is a set where I would have liked to hear him record all three books, I could easily see them becoming favorites. As it is I don't have a favorite complete recording of all three, the best ones are usually incomplete :(

Also revisited this well received set, which still not completely to my taste, tempi are on the brisk side compared to Bolet, Berman, Arrau, Rubackyte and emphasis at dynamic markings is a bit soft.

[​IMG]

Marzz, Wes H and George P like this.
  14. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Mischa Levitzki and Guiomar Novaes playing the Chopin Preludes. Novaes and the half dozen Preludes is among my favorite on this set and were among the most played. Op. 28/9 was the only one not to my taste.

[​IMG]

And also this excellent disc:

[​IMG]

If it seems like my listening is particularly heavy on piano music, it's because I have a decent headphone setup at work and I only like headphone listening for music scored for solo instruments. By the time I get back in the evening there are other things that occupy my time :shh:

15. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying the sixth and second symphonies.

Wes H likes this.
  16. Octave

Octave Shake Appeal

[​IMG]

Krenek: COMPLETE STRING QUARTETS (Sonare-Quartett - MDG, 4cd, rec. late 1980s)

Pretty astringent, music of anxiety. I have been in the right mood for it, so what I take as the anxiety and mournfulness of much of it---not that those are my current moods, exactly---has had a quickening effect on the blood.

Also more of the Stravinsky/Columbia set: notably Movements for Piano & Orchestra [1958-9] (with Charles Rosen), which I loved. plenty of the serialist plink-plonk, but also a riot of color and maybe humor. Who's to know? Supposedly music expresses nothing! Another piece I will seek out more recordings of. Maybe the Osborne/Volkov on Hyperion.

Marzz, George P and scompton like this.
  17. Octave

Octave Shake Appeal

[​IMG]
    Weill: DER SILBERSEE (Koln RSO, Jan Latham-Koenig - Capriccio)

I learned from an Amazon review that the Leipzig stage premier was directed by Detlef Sierck!

Marzz and SteelyTom like this.
  18. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Brahms Piano Quintet (Pollini), Brahms String Quartets N0 1-3 both with Quartetto Italiano. And continued to explore much of the Arrau box for recordings I hadn't heard. Decent performances Brahms piano sonatas including the little recorded second.

These two came in from Amazon:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Enjoy your weekend all.

Rick Robson and George P like this.
  19. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying the fourth symphony from this wonderful set.

Rick Robson and Eigenvector like this.
  20. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Making my way through this CD, Partita 6 (BWV830) was very good, liked the Brahms Piano Sonata 3 as well, always nice to have another lively performance of that. The verdict is out on the Chopin Preludes, maybe just needs some more listens... or not :)

21. George P

His Chopin didn't grab me at first, but once it did, it didn't let go.

hvbias likes this.
  22. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I will give them some more listens, these are interesting performances that I can't characterize with one broad sweeping description. Some of them like Op.28/3 are so uniquely "old school" yet others aren't, that is one aspect that threw me.

George P likes this.
  23. Octave

Octave Shake Appeal

[​IMG]

Krenek: COMPLETE WORKS FOR CELLO (David Geringas et al - Koch, 1999)

Also another disc from the big Stravinsky/Columbia box: a terrific program of solo piano music from Stravinsky and Schoenberg, played by Rosen. One of those times when I am actually happy about the "original album" scheme not leaving out "irrelevant" content.

Marzz and hvbias like this.
  24. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

This is one of my absolute favorites for a complete recording of all the JS Bach Partitas on piano, listened to BWV830 and 828

[​IMG]

Abbado/Lucerne Mahler Symphony 3

[​IMG]

And continuing to make my way through the Gardiner JS Bach Cantatas box set with BWV127, 159, 182

[​IMG]

Marzz, Dan C, crispi and 1 other person like this.
  25. JuniorMaineGuide

JuniorMaineGuide Forum Resident

Now checking out the Danish String Quartet’s new release:

[​IMG]

Bach: Fugue in E flat BWV 876
    Shostakovich: String quartet no. 15
    Beethoven: String quartet no. 12

I am enjoying it a lot. Highly recommended.

Marzz and crispi like this.