Stan & Ollie movie

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Sondek, Sep 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident Thread Starter

This might make for an entertaining movie...

2. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

I’ve long pictured John C. Reilly as Frankenstein’s monster, but never as Ollie. Interesting casting...

3. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

4. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

I love John C. Reily but I don't hold high hopes for this film. This must be a limited release or arthouse project. Nothing jumped out as funny in this trailer; quite the opposite. Seemed like a serious bio-flick. Also the characters, imo, will not connect with anyone under 40 (maybe +-35 for enthusiastic film buffs.)

SandAndGlass likes this.
  5. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

I shall want to see it when it comes on streaming.

bpmd1962 and audiomixer like this.
  6. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

...and "free".

SandAndGlass likes this.
  7. pocofan

pocofan Senior Member

Big fan of L & H. Saw the preview and came away it has a heavy dose of drama.

Michael Rose likes this.
  8. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

I blame Christopher Nolan and his dark, gritty take on Batman. Since then, everyone and everything is either dark, gritty, and or morose. ;)

9. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Wow. Its as if Steve Coogan worked his entire
    Life to play Stan Laurel.

bpmd1962 likes this.
  10. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Thing is, this is supposed to be a behind the scenes take on their final performing years. Folks here seem to think they were like their film persona 100% of the time.

I can see them doing their comedy routines any time. I'm intrigued to get an idea of how they were day day to day as 'people'. How they behaved off camera. This is just the thing.

11. rediffusion

rediffusion Forum Resident

Really looking forward to this

Sondek likes this.
  12. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

This occurred in the comic books too. Frank Miller did The Dark Knight Returns, a very dark take on Batman that had a massive affect on comics so that soon everyone was doing dark and gritty takes on characters.

But then the light returned...

Keith Giffen wanted to do the serious version of The Justice League but circumstances prevented the Creative Team from doing it (many characters were not available). So they created a Justice League featuring Batman and a number of second and third string characters. The ultimate twist was...they made it funny. It was a big hit and soon everyone was trying to do a lighthearted and funny take on the characters.

I hope we can see the same thing at the theaters when it comes to superheroes.

Michael Rose likes this.
  13. Claus LH

Claus LH Forum Resident

Being a life-long L and H fan, I like the idea of a bio film, but I worry. Will they stick to the story (seemingly the eternal battle with such things)?

14. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident

I don’t understand how some people think this is supposed to be a comedy.

15. pocofan

pocofan Senior Member

Drama drama drama. I saw a guy on tv once that wrote a biography on them. Said he spent 40 hours with them. By his account they were best of friends to the end

16. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

The unfortunate truth is that Laurel & Hardy do not have much name recognition among anybody under the age of 45, and that's generous. I used to stay up late on Fridays to watch them on my local PBS station, back in the days of 6 or so local channels, no cable, and no VCRs. Those days are far gone. I fear that The Marx Brothers are also suffering the same fate of declining recognition, despite their popularity among sectors of the literary crowd over several generations.

I would like to think that this film will kickstart revised interest in Laurel & Hardy, but I sadly don't believe it will be so. But, I will be all over this when it is released.

17. Claus LH

Claus LH Forum Resident

Exactly. Their story is one of deep friendship, being able to sustain a career in a rapidly evolving industry (silent to sound), and, ultimately, the kind of love they had for each other as the days grew short and illness set in. By definition, this should be bittersweet, yet beautiful.

18. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Big L&H fans, and plan to see this.

"Nobody loved them but the public".

SandAndGlass likes this.
  19. Sondek

Sondek Forum Resident Thread Starter

Where's that quote from?

20. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Sorry don't remember.

21. Solitaire1

An interesting thing about Laurel & Hardy (L&H) is that they were one of the few silent movie comedians who made a successful transition from silent to sound. Although other comedians were able to successfully make the transition, sound actually helped L&H since their voices were perfect for their characters.

I also remember reading that at first L&H were simply co-workers. They didn't become friends until they had been a team for a while.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  22. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

I wish they would put together a L&H silents package.

Alan G. and cartoonist like this.
  23. entropyfan

entropyfan Forum Resident

And they didn't even become a team until they had been in the same films for a while!

They were both ensemble players in Hal Roach's "All Stars" series for a full year before anyone figured out they should be "Laurel and Hardy". Sometimes they even played adversaries.

The talkies were a gift to them. Their voices fit their characters so well.

24. Solitaire1

This reminded me of a short where they appeared together long before they were a team:

Added: I checked Wikipedia and there were 5 years between their appearance in this short and their next appearance together (still not as a team).

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
    SandAndGlass and Evan L like this.
  25. Solitaire1

It is likely possible that most of their shorts are available on YouTube. I did a quick check on YouTube and easily found the above short.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.