"One Hit Wonders" Daily Trivia

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Oldies trivia guy, Sep 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oldies trivia guy

Oldies trivia guy Forum Resident Thread Starter

Answer from yesterday........

"Endless Sleep"/Jody Reynolds
    Demon Records #5 1958

It has always puzzled me how an artist or group could sometimes have a megahit and we never hear from them again. Especially if they wrote it. As a final authority I'll use the Billboard Top 40 charts because that should narrow the field to songs most everyone is familiar with. In some cases, an artist could have had another minor regional hit that no one ever heard of. I know of a One Hit Wonder where the group had two other hits in the South but people on the west coast would have never heard them. I will try to make the questions somewhat difficult to attract multiple answers or guesses. Each day I will update this thread with the previous day's answer and a new question. Correct answers should contain the correct title and artist as it appeared on the record or chart. Give yourself a gold star if you know it and a silver star if you want to take the time to research it. Good luck and have fun!
    P. S. Please indicate if you deserve a gold star, silver star, you guessed or don't know.
    (Some kind of response will keep the thread updated on the list)
    I have a suggestion for you guys who are just "too smart". If a correct answer is given within a couple of hours after it's posting, it takes away the incentive for others to continue giving answers. How about this? Instead of posting the answer that you know is correct, just "reserve your place in line" by posting "GOLD STAR" or 'SILVER STAR". I'll trust you are correct. I will always post the correct answer a little after 5:00PM EST. Maybe leave your correct answers and comments sometime between 3-5PM so others will still post throughout the day. Thanks

New Question....

9/22/18

This group consisted of 5 high schoolers and a 21 year old leader. As in many cases, the song was originally put together as the "B" side but a local DJ pushed it and made it a hit. It was a fast version of the original by Joe Jones. There's one hint I'm biting my lip not to use so let's see how you do with this.

bluemooze likes this.
  2. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Gold Star for me on this one.

3. Mike Reynolds

Mike Reynolds Forum Resident

Out here in California, Quicksilver's "Fresh Air" and "Pride Of Man" were both played on the radio throughout the 70's and both were also very popular (I guess you don't get played on the radio for a decade if you're not popular, right?).

At any rate, when I mentioned those two songs a few years ago to a guy on facebook who is my age who lived in Brooklyn, he'd said he'd never heard of either song before, and had never even heard of the band Quicksilver Messenger Service. How is that even possible?

4. mavisgold

mavisgold Senior Member

"Fresh Air" reached number 49 in 1970
    one of those songs that were popular in the area that I didn't realize wasn't a big hit

Dave112 and Ginger Ale like this.
  5. Oldies trivia guy

Good example...Here in the south, "Fresh Air" was played heavily on FM radio, but few people bought the album or heard any other songs on the radio.

Mike Reynolds likes this.
  6. Oldies trivia guy

What! only one response to today's question? OK, here's the hint I didn't want to give.....They named themselves after a new model of automobile.

7. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

I figured the hint you didn’t want to give might be that the song was also covered by a pretty well-known band in the 1970s...although it wasn’t a hit single.

8. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Answer:

“California Sun” by The Rivieras.

The memorable 70s cover version was by The Ramones.

Until several years ago, when I saw it on an obscure Oldies CD, I didn’t realize that Joe Jones did the original version of this song. The Rivieras’ take on it is a brilliant re-imagining.

vivatones likes this.
  9. Oldies trivia guy

Answer from yesterday.......

"California Sun"/ The Rivieras
    Riviera Records #5 1964

Named after the beautiful new 1963 Buick Riviera

bluemooze likes this.
  10. Oldies trivia guy

It has always puzzled me how an artist or group could sometimes have a megahit and we never hear from them again. Especially if they wrote it. As a final authority I'll use the Billboard Top 40 charts because that should narrow the field to songs most everyone is familiar with. In some cases, an artist could have had another minor regional hit that no one ever heard of. I know of a One Hit Wonder where the group had two other hits in the South but people on the west coast would have never heard them. I will try to make the questions somewhat difficult to attract multiple answers or guesses. Each day I will update this thread with the previous day's answer and a new question. Correct answers should contain the correct title and artist as it appeared on the record or chart. Give yourself a gold star if you know it and a silver star if you want to take the time to research it. Good luck and have fun!
    P. S. Please indicate if you deserve a gold star, silver star, you guessed or don't know.
    I have a suggestion for you guys who are just "too smart". If a correct answer is given within a couple of hours after it's posting, it takes away the incentive for others to continue giving answers. How about this? Instead of posting the answer that you know is correct, just "reserve your place in line" by posting "GOLD STAR" or 'SILVER STAR". I'll trust you are correct. I will always post the correct answer a little after 5:00PM EST. Maybe leave your correct answers and comments sometime between 3-5PM so others will still post throughout the day. Thanks

New question......

9/23/18

This artist was a songwriter and producer for a Saturday morning cartoon show. He re-recorded one of the songs from the show and it became a #9 hit.

11. Oldies trivia guy

12. Oldies trivia guy

artist was not The Archies..

13. Oldies trivia guy

so it looks like I finally stumped you.,...

14. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

I don't know this one off the top of my head, so I tried approaching it from the back end. But I cannot find a One-Hit Wonder that peaked at #9 by an artist whose name begins with "A" — unless there's one newer than 1991, which is the edition of Whitburn that I have available to me at the moment.

15. Oldies trivia guy

LOL..that "a" was a mistake, please disregard.

16. Oldies trivia guy

Answer to yesterday's question......

This artist was a songwriter and producer for a Saturday morning cartoon show. He re-recorded one of the songs from the show and it became a #9 hit.

"Chick-A-Boom (Don't Ya Jes' Love It)/Daddy Dewdrop
    Sunflower Records #9 1971

McLover likes this.
  17. Oldies trivia guy

New Question......

9/24/18

This "beach music" song was recorded "live" with people pulled off the street and in one take.......

bluemooze likes this.
  18. vivatones

vivatones Forum Resident

Double Shot (Of My Baby’s Love)

19. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Someone didn’t read the previous post very carefully.

20. lazydawg58

lazydawg58 Know enough to know how much I don't know

Also a cover charted top ten on the Country charts in 1983 for Joe Stampley. Played it often when I was possibly the worst radio DJ in the Carolinas!

21. BryanW

BryanW Likes his pop sunny.

You sure did.

22. Oldies trivia guy

yes..and they only gave half an answer.

23. Oldies trivia guy

Sorry, forgot to reveal the cartoon show in the previous question...it was "Sabrina and the Groovy Ghoulies" on CBS.

24. Oldies trivia guy

TIME TO CELEBRATE! Just heard on TV that today is "NATIONAL ONE HIT WONDER DAY". Didn't know there was such a thing. Everyone should respond to this thread with an instructed answer today. The CORRECT answer will be posted between 5-6pm est. Again, please answer according to the last paragraph of the instructions. Thanks....and H A P P Y O N E H I T W O N D E R D A Y !!!

Jarleboy likes this.
  25. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

I'm not hip enough to get most of these Challenges, but I do remember many years ago having an Ace CD called Fabulous Flips and there was a song on it called Tight Capris, the flip side of Endless Sleep.

A musician friend heard it and wasn't impressed, and said of Jody - "Sing!? the guy can't even breathe!"

That didn't stop me buying a recent release on CD of Jody Reynolds. It has 26 tracks including the ones with Bobbie Gentry.

Even more irrelevant to the thread, when I was kid Joey Reynolds was my favorite DJ :)

Mechanical Man likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.