SH Spotlight Nat King Cole "LOVE IS THE THING" (1956) in new multi-channel SACD & 45 RPM LP from Analogue Prods.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Jun 20, 2010.

1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Well, as much as I can't stand modern remixes of classic music, in this case, it was necessary. And of course the original 1956 John Kraus mono mix is on the SACD as well. Can't go wrong that way.

2. HDOM

HDOM Well-Known Member

I want to have your sacd mastering Steve Hoffman, but is very spensive if i found someone, so my question is when going this sacd be out there again so we can buy it new in a good price?

3. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

I’m not Mr. Hoffman, but the answer is very likely “never.” Don’t get your hopes up.

4. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Will AP repress this on SACD?? I'm not sure how much longer that format will be around to be supported. I mean, for physical, analog media, the LP is still really tops. But for digital media, with high rez files and servers with large storage available, you may need to scrounge and perhaps luck out.

Keep your feelers out on EBay and Discogs, and hope, be patient.

CBackley likes this.
  5. CBackley

I’d highly recommend posting a “Want to Buy” thread on this forum’s marketplace. That’s how I got my copy. Sure, it was a little more expensive than the original sale price. But it was much cheaper than eBay or Discogs.

HDOM likes this.
  6. HDOM

HDOM Well-Known Member

The thing is i only listen to cd or sacd if the sacd is bettee quality i dont have a lp and dont, want a lp player but maybe in this desperate way i must find a needle drop :sigh:

Ps. How many vinyl versions have Steve Hoffman mastered? Is the 180 gr the same as the 45 rpm? From 1997?

7. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Always happy to see this thread on a leading candidate for the best-sounding digital release I've ever heard popping up.

rxcory and HDOM like this.
  8. CBackley

The 1997 version is distinct from the 45rpm produced by Analogue Productions.

I don’t think you need to buy a turntable, at least not just to get this album. You can find a used SACD copy for much less than a turntable.

SoundDoctor and RSteven like this.
  9. HDOM

HDOM Well-Known Member

I going to try find harder then the one i found were over 50 euro to much for me

Ps. Is the 45 rpm better than the dcc vinyls?

10. CBackley

Do a “WTB” post on this forum.

Regarding the DCC, my best advice is to read this thread.

HDOM likes this.
  11. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Different flavors. The AP does offer more different varieties though. In some ways I like the dcc's better.

Whatever version you choose AP or DCC, you cant go wrong.

Honestly, if I had to start from scratch and wanted to pick one?

Id spend a little more to get the DCC Greatest Hits or the AP NKC Story and call it a day.

Gives you a great overview in amazing sound quality.

12. AnalogJ

Having both, I can emphatically say yes. But it's not like the DCCs are chum. The DCCs are rich, full-bodied, and very musical. But they were done from the stereo master tapes, from what I recall. For the AP 45s, SH went back to the 3-session tapes, the original recording. He then mixed down to stereo LIVE to the lacquers. A whole step was eliminated in the process. There is much greater clarity into the mix. The low level detail is astonishing. The distinctions between what is in the soundstage is fantastic. The air around Cole's vocals and the orchestra is superior. Everything sounds more precise and in focus.

So what were previously thought of as 10/10 in terms of sound, the DCCs became 9/10 and the APs, in comparison are 11/10. The DCCs are no slouch, but the APs are about the best sounding vinyl I own. I think Steve Hoffman has posited here that the 45s beat the SACDs by a small margin.

The Nat King Cole 45s, along with the recent Beatles In Mono set, are as good as any reason to go out and get a good turntable setup if you don't have one.

Ere, rxcory, Stone Turntable and 3 others like this.
  13. George P

George P Notable Member

Speaking purely about the sound on the redbook layers, I prefer the sound on the DCC to the AP, though the AP is certainly very nice.

HDOM likes this.
  14. HDOM

HDOM Well-Known Member

Great advice maybe when i have a work i have then more money and buy a lp (who knows) is amazing that the sacd sound only small margin than the lp:love:

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
  15. HDOM

HDOM Well-Known Member

Interesting but i have a bluray that play sacd, so i guess i look for the sacd anyway i would buy the dcc gold cd, but it seems is even more espensive than the sacd, the price for the gold dcc cd is over 100 euro nowdays :yikes:

16. CBackley

Just buy the SACD. Save up for it. Post a “WTB” here. Play it on your Blu-ray player. Enjoy. It’s the only version you’ll ever need. As a bonus above the 45 rpm or the DCC versions, you’ll also get our host’s excellent new mix of the mono recording.

Again, nearly any further questions can be answered with “Just buy the SACD.”

17. HDOM

HDOM Well-Known Member

I will do :love:

CBackley likes this.
  18. AnalogJ

But not insignificantly so. Again, he only did the live mixdown to lacquer with the 45rpm, so there's a master tape sort of sound that the SACD doesn't quite have.

19. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

How about the DCC Golsd CD?

20. .crystalised.

.crystalised. Forum Resident

The mono mix on the AP SACD is the original mix prepared by John Kraus in 1956. It's identical to the mix that is heard on the original mono LP.

Ere, rxcory and CBackley like this.
  21. CBackley

Got it. For some reason I thought Steve and Kevin mixed that too. Regardless, it’s killer!

22. jtaylor

jtaylor Senior Member

DCCs were also remixes.

rxcory likes this.
  23. CBackley

HDOM likes this.
  24. AnalogJ

CBackley likes this.
  25. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

I had never seen the revised artwork used on the 8-track tape release:
    s-l1600-486.jpg

HDOM, AnalogJ, Turmatic and 4 others like this.