NBC's Manifest

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Bachtoven, Sep 26, 2018.

1. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident Thread Starter

Did anyone waste their time watching the pilot? It was just as dreadful as I expected.

2. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

No, forgot all about it which is surprising given the amount of pub they've been hyping it up with.

3. Bachtoven

The basic idea is OK, if not screamingly original, but the writing, acting, and soap opera tone pretty much kill it.

VU Master likes this.
  4. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Any bets on when the smoke monster shows up?

5. Bobby Buckshot

Did it not already? Was that a 2 hour premier?

6. Bachtoven

If only it were 1/100th as good as a typical X-Files episode!

7. Bachtoven

It premiered on Monday, and mercifully, only an hour. If I had been alone, I would have turned it off after about 15 minutes, but my wife wanted to see "if it gets any better." It didn't.

8. Bobby Buckshot

I've been there. Too bad it didn't get better and if it continues to drag maybe it'll get a quick cut. That's a lot of sunk costs for the network though.

9. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

This type of sci-fi series - something mysterious and supernatural - seems to be plentiful these days. So, it doesn't appear to anything special or out of the ordinary based upon the premise alone. The actors are less than engaging.

I'll give it another episode or two and see what happens.

Dennis Metz likes this.
  10. jpelg

jpelg Forum Resident

The premise would be good for a single Twilight Zone episode. As a series, it will run out of steam fast.

RickH and Comet01 like this.
  11. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

I didn't watch it, but it reminds me of tv shows like Revolution, Flash Forward, The River, etc. Shows that had an interesting premise but couldn't figure out how to make an show that sustained interest out of it.

psubliminal likes this.
  12. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

We watched it because the wife and daughter had seen the previews and thought it was going to be cool. Definitely a stinker. I shoulda known when they got the guy who played Prince Charming from Once Upon A Time...which was the last crappy show my wife and daughter finagled me into watching. It’ll probably be on for the next 6 years.

13. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

My thoughts exactly, "The Odyssey Of Flight 33" came to mind!

SomeCallMeTim, RickH and forthlin like this.
  14. I heeded the advance reviews and didn't watch. Sounds like I made the right decision.

15. Drew

Drew Senior Member

Actually... they're all dead.

I should get at least an attaboy for saving 7 years of y'all's lives:biglaugh:

SomeCallMeTim, stuwee and forthlin like this.
  16. BZync

BZync Senior Member

I've been mulling this show over since I saw it. I find it frustrating when I can identify so many problems with a shows writing. I feel like the pilot suffered from trying too hard to hook the viewer. I feel like the first episode could have been three thoughtful episodes.

Episode one should have started a bit earlier so we could have learned a little about the passengers. The scene after they land should have been greatly extended and focused on the investigator. The episode could have ended with the reveal about having lost five years.

Episode two should have focused on the investigation and with the passengers attempts to deal with the loss of five years. It was glossed over (who got married, who is having an affair) but nothing on why this may have happened. If I were a passenger I would be stuck on that. It could have gone all paranoid thriller with an extended sequence on being quarantined, interviewed and not given any answers - ala' Close Encounters. It could have ended with the "slow down" sequence.

Episode three could have expanded the "voice in the head" idea. It was good that they kept us in the dark for a while about how she wasn't the only one experiencing the voice. But once established, they could have shown us other passengers trying to cope with it.

So much happened in the pilot episode but it was at the expense of getting to know the characters. Therefore I kinda didn't care what happened to them. I need to get to know them in order to feel any empathy towards their plight.

Unfortunately, my prediction is that we will learn about the passengers in future episodes in flashback which will slow down the story momentum.

17. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

The ‘voice in my head’ said this show was gonna suck. It was right.

18. Bachtoven

For those who stick it out, I hope NBC doesn't cancel before viewers find out what happened. Remember "Awake" from a few years ago? Just as we were about to find out what was going on (the main character seemed to live two existences with different outcomes to a tragedy), NBC pulled the plug.

19. dmiller458

dmiller458 Forum Resident

I thought that was obvious from the first episode of Lost

20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

:biglaugh:

21. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Yes, Awake was an interesting show. The show creator said that the final episode showed that the guy had the ability to basically live in both realities at once, and for all practical purposes both worlds were dreams and the reality was both combined. It's an interesting idea, but I suspect it confused viewers.

I'm not fond of shows like Manifest where they're leaning towards giving the explanation some kind of profound, religious meaning, because I think that's silly. I don't see this making it to December.

22. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Still gotta keep watching, to see when they discover there's a giant statue of a foot across from the Brookstone store over towards the Food Court...

SomeCallMeTim likes this.
  23. Bachtoven

Yes, but I distinctly recall a suggestion that he was part of some sort of experiment--it was at that point that the show ended.

24. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I thought the relatively-subtle color scheme of the two realities should have been sufficient, but, what do I know...

"Coming this Sunday...the new sensation, that's got America just BOUNCING to see! (Somebody who just wrapped up a short story arc on "This Is Us") hosts, the all-new, 'Celebrity Ball & Jacks'! You can only pick it up...on NBC!"

25. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

I didn't watch it but my wife liked it.