Jung-A Lee "A Private Organ Recital in Walt Disney Concert Hall, SH mastered, amazing sound! Yarlung

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Sep 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Jung-A-Lee-CD-cover.jpg

You like big organ music? You tired of the same old warhorses? Ready for a unique private concert? You need this compact disk.

The sound that Yarlung Records creator, producer, engineer Bob Attiyeh gets from his performers, hall and special equipment is always the best. This disk is right up there with all the great sounding organ disks, even better as the top end isn't "tipped up" as is usually the case with music like this.

What else can I say, really? Get this, click on below link. Support Yarlung Artists, a non-profit that is really making a difference in getting lesser known music recorded and released.

This album: The sound, the music, the performances, all beyond words. I'm so proud to be associated with this, proud to have helped master it. Also, the packaging is really beautiful and the disk looks really special.

One more thing, I didn't know my system could reproduce such low notes. You feel some of them below the belt!

Click on this link to know all!

Jung-A Lee: Walt Disney Concert Hall Organ (CD) — Yarlung Records

2. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

For the uninitiated..which would be me..

jfeldt, Davidmk5, Bob Attiyeh and 3 others like this.
  3. Bob Attiyeh

Bob Attiyeh Yarlung Records

Thanks so much Steve. Jung-A is as much a delight to work with as she is to hear in this beautiful hall.

Yes, there is indeed some incredible bass in this recording. The Walt Disney Concert Hall organ goes down to 16 Hz, and we use those pitches in this album.

The CD is available now on the Yarlung site, including international delivery. Analog tape and vinyl will hopefully follow eventually.

Thanks Steve!

Bob.

RobCos02330 likes this.
  4. Steve Hoffman

Analog tape and vinyl? Cool beans.

5. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Found it on the Amazon Canada site. Pre-ordered!

6. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Wow, cool stuff. I remember Jung-a being the resident organist at Timothy Eaton Memorial, back when I lived in that part of Toronto. She's a great player. Going to try out the HD version of this when it comes out, so I can play it on my HiBy music player at home and on the big sound system at work!

Adam9 and Bob Attiyeh like this.
  7. Bob Attiyeh

I believe this album is scheduled to come out on Yarlung's page at NativeDSD at the end of this week. If you prefer PCM, the high res version should be out later in October on Yarlung's page at HDTracks. Thanks so much for your support.

warp2600, jfeldt, snkcube and 2 others like this.
  8. Claus

Claus Senior Member

WDCH has one of the best modern concert halls. And I like the "French Fries." :D

9. Joy-of-radio

Joy-of-radio Forum Resident

Thank you Steve for letting us know of this release. I love organ music, and of course I ordered a copy to add to my already extensive collection of organ recordings. I feel pretty certain I'll enjoy this! I'll comment further when I've received and herd it.

10. Paper Wizard

Paper Wizard Forum Resident

Just ordered this one...…
    Always have enjoyed organ music.

11. DmitriKaramazov

DmitriKaramazov Senior Member

I was a singer in the Pacific Chorale (Orange county, CA) though the 2017 - 2018 season, and Jung-A Lee is our regular concert organist (in Orange County's Segerstrom Hall). She is simply outstanding!

12. Steve Hoffman

Any video or audio of the Chorale?

13. Bob Attiyeh

Claus, I like the French Fries too, far better than the ones make of potato. If you've checked out the liner notes, you'll know how threatened Manuel felt when the design became public. Manuel enjoyed telling me the story as we were preparing the booklet.

Here is the part pertaining to the famous French Fries and more:

The Walt Disney organ itself occupies a unique place in Manuel’s heart, partly because this commission was such a controversy at the time. Organ builders are a conservative and sometimes cranky bunch, and Manuel remembers great antagonism from his colleagues over the project. He was warned that building the now-famous Walt Disney Concert Hall “French Fries” was supposed to be a career ender for the Rosales company. While the organ community often complains that nothing changes in the world of concert and church organs, and everything always looks the same, once the initial designs became public, Manuel was lambasted for a “satanic creation.” Think of Jung-A’s delightful Hamburger Totentanz when you read this. The success and popularity of this organ have vindicated Manuel’s vision that it was the right visual concept to compliment Frank Gehry’s architectural design.

The organ was a gift from Toyota Motor Sales USA, and includes 6,134 pipes ranging in size from 32 feet to a few inches. These pipes are in 109 ranks, or sets. Frank Gehry and Manuel Rosales collaborated on the visual design. Glatter-Götz Orgelbau in Owingen, Germany, and Rosales Organ Builders in Los Angeles created the mechanical design, construction, tuning and voicing. The organ was shipped from Germany in six ocean-going containers and the unassembled organ itself weighed over 40 metric tons. Installation by the Glatter-Götz staff in WDCH began in April 2003 and was completed in June 2003. Manuel and his Los Angeles team voiced the 6,134 pipes over a period of one year and completed the project in 2004.

The length of the longest pipes is over 32 feet and the largest pipe weighs over 1,000 lbs. The smallest pipe is the size of a small pencil with a speaking length less than 1/4” long. The lowest note has a frequency of 16 cycles per second, which is C below the lowest note on a modern Steinway. The highest note has a fundamental frequency of 10,548 cycles per second, which is an octave and a third higher than the top note of a piano.

14. Bob Attiyeh

What a fabulous ensemble. I look forward to working with the Chorale in 2019/20 on their first recording with Robert Istad conducting. And it is thanks to Rob and his connection with Jung-A that I know her and asked her about making this album. Small wonderful world, isn't it? --Bob

15. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Surely a satanic figure, if ever I knew it! Hahaha, just kidding of course, what a hilarious story about the organ makers! I have seen a few MIDI controlled pipe organs in perhaps even-more 'modern' settings that would curl their toes ;)

Bob Attiyeh likes this.
  16. Bob Attiyeh

Interestingly, the Walt Disney Concert Hall organ has a midi interface as well. Jung-A hasn't seen it in action, but Manuel explained to me that one can hook up a computer to the organ and deliver a true acoustic performance. Even though this could be "note perfect," I would never give up the experience we had with Jung-A in the hall in person.

aphexj likes this.
  17. Steve Hoffman

I used to enjoy playing the pipe organ at CSUN and at Whitney Recording in Glendale (where Lenny Dee made all his records, etc.)

I have nothing but respect for organ players. When I realized the length of the lag time between depressing the key to the time it actually came back to me, one could send 10 messages to Garcia. So while you're playing a fast passage, you ain't hearing it, you're hearing the passage before it, yikes. Very difficult to do.

So, unlike playing the piano, you can't play for yourself, you play for your audience.

jfeldt, Ham Sandwich and Bob Attiyeh like this.
  18. Bob Attiyeh

The Chorale has released a number of albums under the ensemble's prior music director John Alexander.

19. Steve Hoffman

Thanks, Bob.

20. Bob Attiyeh

NativeDSD released this album worldwide this morning. For DSD enthusiasts, this is the place to go. Thank you Steve for starting this thread! I just quoted you on our social media announcement. And Steve, you may want to join us on stage when we make our first recording with the Pacific Chorale. (an early invitation, but no date set yet).

21. Steve Hoffman

Thanks, Bob. I'll be there.

22. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Thanks Bob. It looks like Amazon Canada (at least) is taking pre-orders for a DVD-Audio version, apparently to be released in October, is that accurate or is it merely the CD version? The ASIN product code I found is B07HBKS8C9

23. Bob Attiyeh

Thank you! DVD audio is news to me. I will double check with our distributor in Canada. Thanks very much for letting me know. What our Canadian distributor will have for physical product is the same CD Steve Hoffman mentioned at the top of this thread. Thanks for the heads up.

aphexj likes this.
  24. Bob Attiyeh

Our distributors in North America fixed this swiftly. They are a good team. Thanks so much for letting me know about the problem. We had the same problem in Canada and the US. For anyone who has Amazon Prime and who would like to preorder the album, here are links

for the United States,

and for Canada.

Preorders are extremely helpful for Amazon's algorithms, which help market certain albums while ignoring others. Hopefully the algorithms will look kindly upon Jung-A!

Thanks so much,

Bob

25. starkiller

starkiller Forum Resident

Just ordered the CD from their site...really looking forward to hearing it. Hoping that lots of people here help out the folks at Yarlung so they can get a vinyl release done, now THAT would be cool :)

Bob Attiyeh likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.