Opinions about KISS?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sear, Sep 27, 2018.

1. Sear

Sear Dad rocker Thread Starter

What do you think about this band?
    Do you think they are important in rock history ? Overrated? Awesome? Too commercial?

Personally I love their 70's records, a lot of fun

2. klockwerk

klockwerk Forum Resident

If you like Kiss, I don't think we can be friends.

Paul W, barfko, helter and 105 others like this.
  3. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

4. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Great band with far fewer mis-steps in their recording career than is often stated. The music is wide and varied so every rock fan should find something to like.

5. geddyfleaharris

geddyfleaharris Forum Resident

I just think it's fun, theatrical rock and roll. The songs were catchy and the imagery was fun. As a kid of the 70s, we used to draw their faces on our book covers. Went over well at Catholic school!

I really fell off after Unmasked, liked some of the 80s hits but my favorite era was the 70s as well.

Michael1201, Sean, mbd40 and 16 others like this.
  6. Sear

Sear Dad rocker Thread Starter

Why?

Sean, Mark J, William Smart and 6 others like this.
  7. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Love some KISS, particularly the seventies stuff. I do love some stuff after that like Creatures, Lick It Up, The Elder, parts of other albums.

8. Xabby

Xabby Senior Member

Alive II is all I need. Love it!

MHS3, Shvartze Shabbos and thxphotog like this.
  9. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Horrible. Worse than rap.

(I don't normally go out of my way to trash bands that I don't care for, but given the OPs history of indiscriminately slamming new music and entire genres, I figured that all's fair.)

Paul W, barfko, Zardozm and 50 others like this.
  10. Baldo

Baldo Forum Resident

Possibly my second biggest influence, after The Beatles. A large part of why I’m a music nerd and musician. Also, a much more talented band than most give them credit for. I mean, what band can go from power pop to progressive rock to almost-metal in the span of three albums (Unmasked, Music From “The Elder”, Creatures of the Night)? As for musicianship, Gene Simmons is probably the most underrated bass player, in my book.

11. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

Did they ever do a country song?

wrappedinsky likes this.
  12. Andrew_db

Andrew_db Forum Resident

Not the worst out there but its not for me

barfko, Hyacinth House, Ricm and 5 others like this.
  13. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

In England glam rock was an entire subgenre. In America it was Alice Cooper and KISS (sorry, Dolls, you were too effed up to ever grab the brass ring). They took theatricality to a level never seen before and only equaled by a rarefied few since (due to costs as much as aesthetic choices). They made hard rock that was punchy and hookfilled at a time when most heavy bands were bloozy and drawn out. Yes, the lyrics were often puerile and at times so misogynistic as to be offensive (particularly to today's ears), but that wasn't necessarily unique to them.

I do think the persona Gene has developed for himself (or maybe he really is just an a-hole, like his album says) has hurt the band's legacy, as has making the two replacement players dress up like Ace and Peter. But they definitely deserved their induction to the R&RHOF and should not have had to wait nearly as long as they did.

14. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident

Never heard of them. Sounds like a band I should check out. :p

15. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

I agree with that, he is played some great basslines on those early records.

16. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

17. Used to love 'em in my younger days, but as one reaches the age of reason, you realize they're ouevre is mostly garbage.

Still enjoy the Debut and The Elder. And occasionally will crank up Ace's solo album on 8 track!

18. MortSahlFan

MortSahlFan Forum Resident

I only like a few songs, but I think the lunchboxes and other products hurt music, and forced others to re-consider other things besides music.

19. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident

A beautiful post that speaks far more volumes than the many bashings long-dumped onto the group (all of which are perfectly okay by the way).

I said in a previous post that the three greatest things you can say about any artist are:

1. They defined, in your eyes, what the joy of music was all about.
    2. They left a positive impact on your life.
    3. They left a positive roadmap that inspired you to other musics and other artists of which you might have never found otherwise.

Kiss are not the only artist who did this for me, but they were the first, and the biggest. If naysayers don't understand the above, then more power to them. My only wish for them is that they have found another artist that has brought them as much joy as Kiss has brought to me.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2018
  20. moomaloo

moomaloo All-round good egg

Very much a guilty pleasure for me... I have the first 8 or so albums and I can't really defend that in any objective way. But.... Kiss are so ingrained into my childhood that it's hard to leave them entirely behind (and believe me I've tried..!)

(Oh, and 'Going Blind' from Hotter Than Hell (IIRC) is simply great as a standalone piece - sort of 'unkisslike' and all the better for it)

Weirwolfe, BDC and Fullbug like this.
  21. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

I like this one.

22. danasgoodstuff

danasgoodstuff Forum Resident

My late brother saw them on the bottom of a bill in Saskatoon and thought they were boring and he was on acid at the time - boring on acid, paint drying is interesting on acid.

23. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

Ace's 1978 solo album is a great record.

24. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

I think the problem was being in Saskatoon.

25. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Love them.
    Yes.

No! Yes! No!