Stereolab - new vinyl press

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bronica S2A, Aug 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. akmonday

akmonday Forum Resident

oh yeah that BBC sessions cd probably gets one of the most plays from me; just because it's so well played and a great cross cutting of material.

polchik and GordonM like this.
  2. Tim Simmons

Tim Simmons ___________________

So someone asked on their Instagram if DUO was also doing Peng and Groop and they confirmed that they are.

My guess is Bullmoose is using Too Pure as the label because that was the original info they had down in their listing from the last reissues on Too Pure.

Anyway, I got my Switched Ons today today and they sound fantastic.

3. hamicle

hamicle Forum Resident

That's great news. I've been indecisive about getting these, think I'll see if I can get 'Refried Ectoplasm' in town tomorrow.

4. jason202

jason202 Forum Resident

I got volumes 2 and 3 today. I’m wondering if I should ditch these PVC other sleeves soon.

5. elvisizer

elvisizer Forum Resident

the switched-ons really sound great. also very nice to see flac and wav download options from the included code!

6. DrewMeyer

DrewMeyer Forum Resident

I want to know about this too. Can anyone confirm if these sleeves are the right material to damage vinyl?

7. arem

arem Forum Resident

All I can say is I pulled the stickers off and ditched mine. I've had records ruined by PVC outers in the past.

jason202 and Echoes Myron like this.
  8. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Got my 3 yesterday. Played side A of vol 1 so far and was very happy.

I am going to ditch the PVC outers too.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
    johnnybrum likes this.
  9. jsb!

jsb! Forum Resident

Been a minor fan for a while but haven't really delved past the compilations, but this sounds interesting.

If you buy the vinyl from their website, there's a bundle option with a bonus for $90 (USD):

Contains clear vinyl remastered editions of:
    Switched On Volume 1 1LP
    Refried Ectoplasm [Switched On Vol 2] 2LP
    Aluminum Tunes [Switched On Vol 3] 3LP
    High quality black tote bag screenprinted on one side
    24" x 24" 4-panel folder poster
    6" x 6" sticker sheet

Stereolab - Switched On Volumes 1 - 3 LP Bundle. duophonic.

John Bliss and Echoes Myron like this.
  10. BeardedSteven

BeardedSteven Forum Resident

I paid $84 for my 3 at my local. No bag or stickers but also no $16.77 shipping. That bundle isn't that great of a deal...

11. Tim Simmons

Tim Simmons ___________________

I ditched the PVC sleeves as well.

12. jsb!

jsb! Forum Resident

No, it’s not. But... it’s still cheaper than buying them here in Australia.

13. gomen ne

gomen ne -

I went for the bundle with the tote bag, poster & sticker. I can't really justify it, but for me these albums were like an oasis in a desert of s**t in the 1990s. I have them on cd because that's what I bought in the 90s, but it's great to have them on vinyl.

I had almost despaired by 1992/3 that people had lost all sense of what's good and bad. All my friends who were up til now into alternative indie/goth/punk music (like me) suddenly started to tell me "Come on- you've got to get into this rave/house music - you can't still be into guitar music - you're stuck in the 1980s". I was the only one who couldn't do it. Stereolab gave me solace - a refuge. I saw them live about 6 times and they were amazing.
    These are great reissues. I'm a bit puzzled by the #2 sleeve (folded card) - is that the same as the original vinyl?
    If they release Peng! (favourite) and the rest I'll buy them. The only one I have on vinyl is Emperor Tomato Ketchup on glitter.

gr8trak, team2, John Bliss and 3 others like this.
  14. 3Dman

3Dman The Adventure Begins

I’d love to see the BBC Sessions get a vinyl release eventually, and a Switched On Vol. 4. Or how about a live album? Every time I saw them they sounded great.
    Probably going to pass on the 1-3, as I have copies already, but glad to hear they’re high quality and the Stereolab reissue train has started.

GordonM and Guy E like this.
  15. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

Stereolab and The Feelies are the only two bands that I've ever seen levitate an audience. It's quite a trick.

gr8trak and 3Dman like this.
  16. 3Dman

Yeah, that’s how the original is, with an insert made of the same paper.
    What’s up with the PVC you guys are mentioning? Are they inners or “protective” outers? I haven’t seen them and can’t find a pic.

gomen ne and GordonM like this.
  17. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

John Bliss likes this.
  18. DrewMeyer

DrewMeyer Forum Resident

I got Vol 2 and the package (as mentioned before just folded cardboard over the record sleeves) is all contained in a protective PVC sleeve. Hard to believe they would put the records into something notorious for damaging vinyl considering the meticulous care Duophonic puts into vinyl issues but the PVC issue seems universally agreed on.

3Dman likes this.
  19. 3Dman

Ok, that’s what I wondering and it is surprising, given Tim is quite collector himself.

20. Jerry James

Jerry James Rorum Fesident

Got all 3 reissues today. They all sound fantastic. I only have the original US Switched On 2 to use as a comparison piece - I like the new one better!

Machiventa likes this.
  21. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Not necessarily. My friends - big collectors - still think I'm insane every time I bring it up.

22. jsb!

jsb! Forum Resident

Well, rather than spending well over $100 for the three records, I picked up the cd box today at my local indie shop. I look forward to diving in - I've streamed all of the first volume but am otherwise largely unfamiliar with these songs...

John Bliss likes this.
  23. BeardedSteven

BeardedSteven Forum Resident

It’s super slightly different than my original Drag City version. The older is still a fold over but it has a spine. The new one is more flat. And the cardboard is thinner.

24. hamicle

hamicle Forum Resident

Got the first two yesterday, they look great but I’ve ended up in the office all weekend so no chance to actually listen to them!

25. DrewMeyer

DrewMeyer Forum Resident

i suppose that’s true haha. I’ve had it happen to me so I definitely give it some credit and don’t want to risk it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.