Roland's favorite CD versions of Black Sabbath albums (part2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Sep 16, 2011.

1. Mirsset

Mirsset Forum Resident

Great. Thanks for your effort.

blacksabbathrainbow likes this.
  2. You're welcome. Thank you for pointing me to the 2014 release in the first place - I wasn't aware of it before you brought it up, and I am glad I got a chance to check it.

3. Music_dude

Music_dude Forum Resident

Regarding the Black Sabbath S/T CD versions, if the 2016 sounds much like the original U.K. vinyl, would it be fair to say that the 2009 CD remaster sounds like the original WB greenie LP that was released in Canada and the USA? I’ve heard it’s a bit darker sounding.

4. Omnio

Omnio _ _ _ ____ ____ _ _ _

I've always felt the first Sabbath album to sound kind of hot in treble via digital (no experience with the vinyl editions here) until I have had a chance to listen to the full album through the Primaluna Dialogue Integrated amp and Nola Boxer 2 Speakers. Listen here:

Edit: the relevant part starts at 2:10

Music_dude likes this.
  5. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

The original UK LP is a bit hot in the treble, but personally I think if you need a $4000 amp to take the treble down then the problem is whatever digital versions you’re hearing, not the amplifier you’re currently using.

Use_Your_Koala, hvbias, Plan9 and 2 others like this.
  6. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

I love my french VERTIGO SWIRL !!!
    The UK has different volume levels on Side A and Side B, the french has a continuous level and sounds a bit better I think !!!

Music_dude likes this.
  7. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Funny, that's my experience as well.

8. LOL, exactly. I am glad that many album releases I listen to are luckily mastered in a way that makes them sound right to me even without playing them on some ridiculously expensive equipment. And if they sound a little hot in treble, well, why not simply use my equalizer.

And with the SACD or Castle, even that's not really necessary IMHO.

9. The 2016 CDs I checked sounded so bright I would be very surprised if any original vinyl sounded similar. I agree that several of the 2009 CDs sound much darker than the 2016 ones.

Music_dude likes this.
  10. Music_dude

I have the 2009 CD version on order.., if I like it, I’ll listen to that for most of the tracks, and dig out the 2016 for Wicked World.

blacksabbathrainbow likes this.
  11. Keep us posted. If you do like the 2009 (I think I prefer the SACD and the 1986 Castle, but I admit I haven't listened closely to the 2009 for a while) and decide to combine it with Wicked World from the 2016, you should probably first EQ Wicked World.

Music_dude likes this.
  12. sathvyre

The 2009 CD of the debut album sounds great...the only issue (IIRC) are the tape dropouts in "Evil Woman"...why the hell didn't they use a better tape ???

13. Music_dude

Good question.... that seems to be the case with a lot of tracks in general. You’d think that if they go through the trouble of remastering an album, they’d first ensure that they’ed sourced the best possible tracks for it. Go figure...

14. sathvyre

Yes, exactly...
    I am sure that most sound engineers never did a final check with headphones...I always check everything for clicks, pops or dropouts...

Music_dude likes this.
  15. Music_dude

And, it’s not just limited to the newer series of remasters, either. I for one love the Volume 4 album. As great as the 86 Castle is (analogue and all), I feel it’s marred by volume fluctuations/tape problems. As such, the 2009 Pierce is now my ‘go to’ CD version.

sathvyre likes this.
  16. Edmoney

Edmoney Forum Resident

I think it was more than just dropouts. I think the issue was that it sounded like from a high gen tape ... and muffled.

Music_dude likes this.
  17. SOONERFAN

SOONERFAN Forum Resident

I seem to remember reading that the '86 Castle discs were from the master tapes. I don't know if that is the reality or not.

18. My guess is they don't have (didn't find) a better tape for that song anymore. The SACD has the same defect.

19. www.discogs.com

You should, at least for MOR, and I would say also for Vol4, SBS and s/t.

Plan9 and SOONERFAN like this.
  20. Music_dude

I ordered the 2009, and Amazon sent me the 2016 which I already have. False advertising!

21. Rukiki

Rukiki Forum Resident

I have always had mixed feelings with my 86 Castle for Sabbath Bloody Sabbath (CLACD 201)

Although it is true that it lacks compression and sounds as warm and balanced as I´ve ever heard this album on cd; I am sometimes annoyed by its volume. Especially at the beginning of Sabbra Cadabra (the volume starts really low and then rises). I recall it happening also on another track.

I am unaware if it´s something unique to this specific mastering, or if it´s indeed this way it sounds on the original LP pressings (and master tapes). Can somebody please confirm this?

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
    Music_dude likes this.
  22. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

I recall "Killing Yourself to Live" being at a much lower volume than the rest. I'm not sure if it's this way on the original vinyl or not.

Music_dude and Rukiki like this.
  23. Music_dude

Anyone who’s heard the original vinyl, care to chime in?

blacksabbathrainbow and Rukiki like this.
  24. Oh, sorry to hear that! Will they send a replacement copy?

Hmmm, I don't remember if the SACD showed the same defects. It's said to be a flat transfer from tape, so that would be interesting to know, but it's been a while since I've listened to it.

I second that. Tim? Roland? Anyone?

Rukiki and zen like this.
  25. I am interested in the same question: what are the preferred masterings/releases of The Eternal Idol? Just started a new thread here:
    Best CD version(s)/mastering(s) of Black Sabbath's The Eternal Idol???

Music_dude likes this.