50th Anniversary all things Beatles White Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tinnox, Feb 8, 2018.

1. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Note that Amazon France is also offering 6€ free if you buy a 30€ gift voucher ! This 36€ can then be used against the purchase of one of these Beatles' items in excess of 30€.

Mr. Explorer and tinnox like this.
  2. Wiserforthetime

Wiserforthetime Forum Resident

Yes I have them all pre ordered.

3. pablo fanques

pablo fanques Somebody's Bad Handwroter In Memoriam

It happened with the snippet of "Great Balls of Fire" Jerry Lee Lewis performed in a medley on The Monkees 33 1/3 special. It was fine when the show was released on DVD over a decade ago but the publishers balked when the blu-ray came out a few years ago and it had to be edited out. Weird but absolutely true

4. spindly

spindly Forum Resident

Uh, we get it.

5. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Used to be running time. Blu Ray no excuse.

BeatleJWOL, Gila and tinnox like this.
  6. alexpop

Folks just want a nice Christmas present. There should be lots to like in the cd box/blu ray to appeal to most fans.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
  7. FrankenStrat

FrankenStrat Forum Resident

Take it from an ex-plane spotter you're hearing Rolls Royce Dart engines, turbo-props, as used on Vickers Viscounts back in 1968.

8. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

At last, some solid information on this thread!

9. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

at one time I was there in my life...good for you.

alx7 and tinnox like this.
  10. Wiserforthetime

Wiserforthetime Forum Resident

Seems like this is how my life has been since the mid 80's.
    Expensive but rewarding.

tinnox and Michael like this.
  11. Michael

Slander? Stop...LOL.

tinnox likes this.
  12. Michael

I can relate my friend with over 7,000+ CDs.

Wiserforthetime and tinnox like this.
  13. alexpop

The Parlophone label export White Album PPCS 7067 -8 sure looks odd, in comparison with Apple label.

tinnox likes this.
  14. alexpop

Buying CDs?
    I bought them in abundance new, till Tower Records ( Virgin)closed.

tinnox likes this.
  15. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

How do you make 3.65 out of 70 shillings? 1 shilling is 5p, so 70 X 5 is 350. Where did that extra 15p (3s) come from? Mark up, mistake, import duty or Alexpop Special tax?

16. hEARt PhoniX

hEARt PhoniX living musical polyamory

That's interesting. I am imagining the somg without the plane now. Yes, the song would still work for me, but ... no.
    I admit I heard BITU for the first time when I must have been around 13 years, back then I loved the engine because it really flew from left to right etc. and I had never heard anyone do something like that before. Later I never questioned it, took it for granted.
    And now the remix. I was floored how musical the plane is, how much it drives the song forward. I would have never got rid of it before, but much less so even now with the new remix. It's an instrument.
    Anyway, thanks for the Mind Game.

17. alexpop

Gives the song the oomph factor.

18. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

19. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

I believe that this photo, of John singing from the floor, is always assigned to the recording of "Revolution 1". It is from the overdub of John's vocal.

Brian Gibson (EMI technical engineer): "John decided he would feel more comfortable on the floor so I had to rig up a microphone which would be suspended on a boom above his mouth. It struck me as somewhat odd, a little eccentric, but they were always looking for a different sound; something new."

[​IMG]

20. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

^^^It looks like Yoko (partially seen) is also laying on the floor too, at the very bottom of the photo.

Heaven forbid that she just watch from a seat nearby. Nope, if John was laying on the floor, then she had to do the same thing. Week 1 of the White Album sessions definitely started out strange.

21. alexpop

Tibetan book of the dead.

tinnox likes this.
  22. slane

slane Forum Resident

I haven't checked it myself, but as I said earlier I would think that those repeat edits before the last verse would be the giveaway. If those edits are absolutely identical in stereo and mono (and the general sound balance is the same) then a fold would seem likely (the original take - as heard on the Take 20 boot - doesn't have those 'stuttering' edited-in repeats on that E chord).

jtiner, tinnox, yardbuzzard and 2 others like this.
  23. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Possible. But again the edit could very well have been made in the mono mix as well. Or on the multitrack after the long take 20 was mixed. Edits on multitracks were done on Yesr Blues too so who knows.

Mr. Explorer, nasa09 and tinnox like this.
  24. slane

slane Forum Resident

It could be, but they wouldn't be precisely identical if so (and I think there are 3 repeats of the E chord?).

(And I should have said after the last verse, not before).

tinnox likes this.
  25. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Yes both in the case of a fold or an edit to the multitrack they’d be precisely the same. Which is why we cannot know for sure.
    If the edits are not identical then it tells what what we need to know ofcourse.
    But making a fold down would generate documentation i would imagine. It is after all still a sessions work for the engineer who did the supposed fold and EMI was great at documenting sessions. And that documentation we haven’t seen.

Mr. Explorer and tinnox like this.