Denver Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by ScottInDallas, Aug 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ScottInDallas

ScottInDallas Forum Resident Thread Starter

Looking primarily for rock vinyl used & new. Any places I need to be sure to visit?

Thanks!

2. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Can't help with the record stores, but be sure and try the Rocky Mountain Oysters :angel:

ScottInDallas likes this.
  3. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

Wax Trax- Best Used
    Recollect- Great soul and some nice jazz
    Twist and Shout- Great new selection, typically overpriced on used

If you can get up to Boulder, Barts has been doing an excellent job lately.

4. mantis4tons

mantis4tons Forum Resident

Recollect is my favorite store in town, but I've never browsed their rock section. They have an excellent selection of soul, jazz, disco, and have a decent latin section too.

What kind of rock are you shopping for?

Mr. LP Collector likes this.
  5. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

Angelo's usually has a ton of vinyl. The used tends to be beat up but they also carry a lot of new titles. They have a location a few block from Twist and Shout. Black and Read is a must stop for vinyl. Their prices have been creeping up but who's hasn't?

spindly and Mr. LP Collector like this.
  6. Mr. LP Collector

Mr. LP Collector Forum Resident

Black and read has a huge selection of vinyl, yes, and like most stores are running a sale on cd's like say, buy 2, get one for a dollar. Not sure if they are still doing that though. Next to their vinyl room is thousands of hardback and paperback books. The manager's name is Mike Stelk. Got a question about Colorado bands from the 60's and 70's? Mike knows his stuff as well as anyone in the music business IMO. Their location is 79th and Wadsworth Blvd. I've known the owner for many yeaars, Danny-good guy!

spindly and clhboa like this.
  7. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

So have you made the trip yet?

8. Mr. LP Collector

I wished I had bumped this thread a while back but---for what its worth--Denver will have its record/cd show on Sunday 9/30. It's at the Ramada on I-25 and 120th. Big K Productions has done a superb job with getting the word out with their advertising efforts. Tomorrow marks it's 25 year anniversary regarding promoting this show. Dealers and collectors come in from Wyoming, Utah, New Mexico, South Dakota and points beyond. It goes from 10- 4 p.m.

Twinsfan007 and clhboa like this.
  9. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

I used to go to that show regularly. Haven't been in quite a few years. Once the vinyl boom kicked in I figured it would be fairly pointless. I have been going to the Vintage Voltage show the last 6 years or so.

10. Twinsfan007

Twinsfan007 Forum Resident

Wish this was this weekend as i'll be in town for RMAF :/ Oh well, I hope it turned out to be a great show!!

11. breakingglass

breakingglass Forum Resident

Twist and Shout

12. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Boulder is right up the road. Do a search, most of the best shops used to be in the center of town, don't know what's still alive and kickin' up there. If there's not anything playing you want to see at Red Rocks, maybe check the Chatauqua. Like the heights? Take a nice drive up Mt. Evans for a good walk. Don't forget to breathe...!

Wax Trax in Denver used to be about a block's worth of different shops - used CD's here, used LP's there, a video store...Twist & Shout used to be a regular Saturday visit, maybe take in that nice little locally-owned burrito shop across the street, lessee, what was its' name...Chi...pote..leyyy...? Tattered Cover Book Store is a must - try the one in LoDo. Then I'd jot down Colorado Blvd to Mile High Comics, across the street to the fresh bread shop, and a small bag of See's Candies if we had guests in town.

Plenty of places to get some good craft beer at night, don't waste the parking around the ball park or the stadium. Maybe a nice watering hole around Washington Park. Ask around, they're all pretty friendly...remember, over 70% of the residents aren't from there, so strangers feel right at home. Okay, once the Los Angeleans figured out how to get over the mountains and ruin the real estate prices, it's probably a little crazy. Still a great place to visit, Stetson, or in your trendiest hipster halloween costume.

13. mantis4tons

14. Mr. LP Collector

Excellent article! One of the things I missed when I left the Denver area was my weekly visits to Wax Trax, now they are just once a month. They've always been there for the collectors, though. I've bought probably 600 lp's from them since they bought the place from Jim Nash in 1977. It's good to see this place get some print. Very good, in fact!

15. Fortysomething

Fortysomething Forum Resident

Does anyone have a recommendation about the best place in Denver or Boulder to buy new vinyl, especially indie stuff?

Moving there in a few weeks and want to pick up the Stereolab reissues!

16. Fortysomething

Are they doing this again in September 2019?

17. Mr. LP Collector

Yes! The next show that Big K promotes is October 20th. Same place, hours 10-4. :righton:

Check out this website---->>>>>> Big K Productions.

Fortysomething likes this.
  18. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Lived in Denver for 3 years, Saturdays would not be complete without:
    1) Mile High Comics
    2) Wax Trax
    3) a Chipotle (they started here); there was one right across the street from Twist & Shout.
    (the other fast-food workflow I wish I'd brought East with me before I got too old to try, was Pastina,
    a cafeteria-style pasta joint that made 5 styles of pasta and six varieties of sauce, mix-n-match,
    and seemed simple enough to rule the world; I don't find it still in business today)
    4) a small bag of See's Candies to share with my wife.
    (The See's on Colorado used to have a damn fine bread bakery next door, where she would get her "bird seed" bread.)
    5) a one-day breeze through Denver would not be complete without The Tattered Cover Bookstore - legen. dary.
    6) And, if you like a Fat Tire, get it there somplace, where the water's "right"...

Mr. LP Collector and Twinsfan007 like this.
  19. Fortysomething

Thanks so much!

20. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

Twist and Shout or Angelo's both have a good selection of new vinyl.

21. Fortysomething

Have only checked out T&S so far since my move here but thought it was pretty solid. They had two of the three things I went for, and I picked up a used title that had been growing whiskers on my want list.

clhboa likes this.
  22. LordThanos1969

LordThanos1969 Forum Resident

What stores in Denver are good for finding used CDs?

23. Mr. LP Collector

I don't get over there as much as I like, I live 4 hours west of Denver . One store is called Black and Read, 79th ave. and Wadsworth. Their south wall has lots! Taking a guess at around 3000. Wax Trax on 13th and Washington. The vinyl store is on the middle of 13th, the corner store is where the cd's are. Used and new, am sure they have as many as Black and Read does. Both Dave Stidman and Duane Davis co-own Trax, both are great guys!

Cassius and clhboa like this.
  24. mantis4tons

Twist & Shout on Colfax also has a large selection of used CDs.

25. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

Angelo's has ton's of used cds as well at both locations. Crappy video but it should give you an idea what they are like...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.