The Gene Clark Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Next Year's Man, Sep 28, 2018.

1. Next Year's Man

Next Year's Man Forum Resident Thread Starter

The brand new all purpose Gene Clark thread for discussing the man, his music, potential future archival releases, publicising blogs, newsletters, podcasts etc.

garrincha, caravan70, The MEZ and 3 others like this.
  2. Newton John

Newton John Forum Resident

Didn't know a whole lot about Gene until I saw the fascinating documentary about him on BBC iPlayer a few days ago. Excellent introduction for anyone who like me is unfamiliar with his post Byrds work.

3. mschrist

mschrist Forum Resident

Marissa Nadler put out a new album today, and it includes this track:

Marissa Nadler, "I Can't Listen to Gene Clark Anymore"

4. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Forum Resident

One of THE voices in rock

melstapler and indigo_m like this.
  5. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

There are several Gene Clark threads here, but I've hesitated to jump into them since they've been ongoing for so long, and also tend to have posts from those far more passionate and dedicated than I could ever be.

So I will just say here what I've always said: Gene's lyrics as well as his music (those unexpected but totally appropriate chord changes) just had so much SOUL. Not in the traditional sense as it's applied to a genre of music...just a depth of feeling and sincerity that has rarely been matched.

He had so many great moments in his solo career (and I've been a particular fan of the Gosdin Bros. LP since it came out), but I return again and again to those first two Byrds albums, along with "She Don't Care About Time" and "Eight Miles High" — and not forgetting the Preflyte recordings, which move me deeply as well. I've sung so many of these songs so many times over the last 45+ years. I never tire of them.

It has been gratifying to me to discover that there are so many others who have been touched by Gene as well.

I'll conclude with what I've written every time there's been a "Whose death affected you the most?" thread: without a doubt, it was Gene. At the time it happened, I had no way of knowing of the demons he had been fighting and his deteriorating health, so the news came as a terrible shock to me. I had hoped somehow that I might have met him and been able to tell him how much his music meant to me. It was tough to know that it could never be.

6. Alien Reg

Alien Reg Forum Resident

There seems to be a new CD reissue of So Rebellious A Lover in my local store, unless I'm mistaken. Don't know if it has any "new" material on it. Anyone got any info?

indigo_m likes this.
  7. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

"Hear The Wind" Nashville Now. 10/4/1988.

8. Slack Babbath

Slack Babbath Hit The North...

For all those U.K. Forum members BBC screened the excellent documentary about Gene called ‘The Byrd Who Flew Alone ‘. It’s still on the iPlayer and is essential viewing for all Gene/Byrd’s Fans .

Superb watching . Bits of it might be on YouTube for Ex UK Members.

‘This documentary explores the mystery of why this richly talented but deeply enigmatic and often self-destructive man failed to enjoy the success his work deserved. Drawing on interviews with his family, friends and fellow musicians including fellow Byrds David Crosby and Roger McGuinn, a wealth of great music from the four-decade span of his career and previously unseen archive material, it is a story that is both compelling and moving, veering between moments of magic and moments of madness’

9. indigo_m

indigo_m @Neon_Brambles

No new material. It's a straight reissue.

eelkiller likes this.
  10. indigo_m

indigo_m @Neon_Brambles

The latest issue of Echoes the Gene-Clark.com newsletter takes a look at the 50th anniversary of The Fantastic Expedition of Dillard and Clark with a discussion with Johnny Rogan, rare articles and photos. Click the link below:

October 1 2018 vol. 2 no. 10

11. indigo_m

indigo_m @Neon_Brambles

The region-free DVD includes additional footage and interviews and is available direct from Four Suns Productions at the link below:

Four Suns Productions - Home

12. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

Is the documentary streaming anywhere yet? Figure if it's been on the BBC, maybe it's getting some distribution.

indigo_m likes this.
  13. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

As I posted in the Byrds Nyrds megathread, I had some problems w/that film:

It has far too much David Crosby

It doesn't include Clark biographer John Einarson. I mean, he lives in friggin' Canada, not the South Pole. Can it really have been that expensive to interview him?

It doesn't include the above "Hear The Wind" clip, though that may have been due to rights issues.

melstapler and indigo_m like this.
  14. indigo_m

indigo_m @Neon_Brambles

Hep Alien likes this.
  15. indigo_m

indigo_m @Neon_Brambles

If I recall Paul Kendall was not able to schedule a meeting with John Einarson. As it was, on a limited budget he flew to Missouri, California and Florida for some of those interviews. Still a good film worth getting especially since there aren't any documentaries at all on Gene Clark.

Man at C&A and Chris M like this.
  16. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

Yeah I'm over reacting a bit, aside from it having too much Crosby

indigo_m likes this.
  17. indigo_m

indigo_m @Neon_Brambles

Agree with you about Croz!! Lol!

Dovetail7, fr in sc and Clarkophile like this.
  18. rufusthomas

rufusthomas Forum Resident

Thank you for the latest issue of Echoes, it was excellent as always. I really enjoyed the look at the 50th anniversary of The Fantastic Expedition of Dillard and Clark.
    A few years back at the Gene Clark Symposium, I believe that a number of live Dillard & Clark songs were played. I do not know if they what show they were from but would love to see a release of live material.

caravan70 and indigo_m like this.
  19. indigo_m

indigo_m @Neon_Brambles

Johnny Rogan had written an article for Record Collector magazine after that Gene Clark Symposium he attended where he mentions the live Dillard and Clark recordings in passing without much detail. I'll see if I can find out more. My understanding is that most of those recordings from the Symposium belong to one private collector, so I'm not sure what the likelihood of those being released would be.

20. indigo_m

indigo_m @Neon_Brambles

Follow-up to this, the snippets of Dillard & Clark live that were played at the Gene Clark Symposium were from a show in Chicago recorded the weekend of July 4th, 1969. The songs played were "Through The Morning, Through The Night", "No Longer A Sweetheart of Mine", "Git it On Brother", "Lover Please Come Home" and "Where Did the Good Times Go". Whether there are more in addition to these tracks is unknown. From the date and the songs performed, my *guess* is that this was Gene, Doug Dillard, David Jackson, Jon Corneal and maybe Byron Berline.

21. John Einarson

John Einarson Forum Resident

Nope. I was never approached about an interview. Would have loved to, even if it was done online via Skype or some other video link. I was disappointed at being left out although Paul Kendall did inform me about his doing the doc on a shoestring budget. I could have steered him to a few others. Regarding Crosby, I thought that a more judicious editing should have applied to his portions of the video. There's a spot where he's just sitting there and it's left in. Dead air. Given the dearth of documentaries on Gene Clark (eg. one) I'm pleased Paul Kendall undertook the project and it will stand as the only video documentary testimonial on Gene Clark.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
  22. John Einarson

John Einarson Forum Resident

The likelihood of release? Slim to none, and Slim just left town.

eelkiller and Hep Alien like this.
  23. picassoson

picassoson Forum Resident

Any info on the sound quality of the live tracks? Hopefully these will circulate some day...

indigo_m likes this.
  24. indigo_m

indigo_m @Neon_Brambles

That's interesting as I believe it was your book which inspired him to do the film!

25. indigo_m

indigo_m @Neon_Brambles

:cry: care to elaborate on why?