Nick Drake Appreciation - Album By Album & All Things Nick Drake*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lemonade kid, Aug 29, 2018.

1. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing Thread Starter

Tell me again...when was this sent to Nick? No answer, I assume.

Psychedelic Sounds likes this.
  2. Psychedelic Sounds

Psychedelic Sounds Forum Resident

I don't know if this letter is known. If it is a new find and genuine?

3. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Gabrielle Drake owns it. Richard Morton Jack of Flashback Magazine fame shared it on FB recently. It may be in the Remembered For Awhile book.

October 1971.

100% genuine..

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
    alexpop and Psychedelic Sounds like this.
  4. Psychedelic Sounds

Thanks. Interesting that you said Nick Drake carried this in his pocket. A very mysterious letter.

5. Psychedelic Sounds

According to Wikipedia, that is the month when he recorded Pink Moon. 30-31st October.

6. Psychedelic Sounds

That letter would be a week before Nick Drake recorded the album.

7. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Mysterious? I found it incredibly poignant.

nbadge and Psychedelic Sounds like this.
  8. Psychedelic Sounds

It is also fortunate that Pink Moon was even recorded and released.
    And that they still have the Pink Moon original master tapes.

9. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

Chrissie Hynde wrote something in NME around that time about Tim Buckley. Not sure if she was aware of him when back in the U.S. or after coming over to England.

10. flaxton

flaxton Forum Resident

Did Nick not reply to the letter as he did not receive much fan mail.

11. Buddys Dad

Buddys Dad Forum Resident

Invitation to Keith Morris Private View at Redferns
    Plus Keiths message that my Running Man photo is ready

[​IMG]

12. lemonade kid

It would have been unlikely from such a shy man. But that letter must have been a comfort and a touchstone (it's so worn from carrying it in his pocket). A love letter from a fan in America, when Nick felt his music was going unappreciated. It is a comfort to me to know he had this touching letter from a fan in America.

Parachute Woman likes this.
  13. ...surely that letter was from a fan in England NOT America. Bristol postcode BS5 6RJ - you can look it up on Google Street View if you are interested.

lemonade kid likes this.
  14. lemonade kid

A few extra notes on Hazey Jane II and At The Chime Of A City Clock before we move on...

2. Hazey Jane II

Robin: With it's traveling rhythm and cascade of images, 'Hazey jane II' introduces to us Nick's cityscape, a crowded place with a dangerous edge. Despite the determined, getting-on-with-things rhythm and lines like 'Weigh up your anchor and never look round', Nick is still looking back, thinking of the friends he left behind, the books and records that once gave him a sense of security. Now, the melancholy but comforting image of the fruit tree has given way to the darkness of a forest hiding sharp-toothed weasels.

Joe: 'Hazey Jane II' is a revelation because Robert came up with this fantastic horn part, which didn't sound like anything else at the time. It had nothing to do with R&B horns or with Jazz horns. It was unique without being weird and very mainstream in many ways. Yet the sensibility of it was quite different. One of the things I remember about this record was how much fun it was to see Nick playing with a rhythm section.

[​IMG]

3. At The Chime Of A City Clock

Robin: The ambivalent feelings about city life that Nick expressed in 'Hazey Jane II"' are more fully expressed here. Shifts between minor and major in the music parallel the mixed emotions described in the lyrics. One minute everything's looking sunny, the next he's on his knees praying for warmth.

Both the verse and chorus feature the same musical descending, single note bass line, but the verse (A city freeze...) is in Ab minor , while the chorus ("at the chime of a city clock...") is in Ab major. We're essentially in the same place but there's a big difference in the emotional tone: the minor is sorrowful and anxious, the major chorus upbeat and positive..--
    from Fruit Tree box notes.

Such a diverse and wonderful song and the mood is so perfectly set by Nick. I love this song so much. And that sax...
    :love:

[​IMG]

Great discussion all...I'll try to get to 'One of These Things First' within a couple days. Busy busy. But keep the love for Nick's music going in the meantime...

:tiphat:

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
    Theadmans and Parachute Woman like this.
  15. lemonade kid

Thanks...either way, a comfort.

Theadmans likes this.
  16. lemonade kid

Correction--a letter for a fan in England. Sorry.

Theadmans likes this.
  17. BTW I visited Tanworth in Arden a year ago:-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

Beautiful photographs. Just looking at them made me a bit teary. I'd like to be able to pay my respects some day. I think the inscriptions on his gravestone are beautiful and simple. "Now we rise / And we are everywhere"... And his parents there with him as well. Even with the difficulties they had towards the end of his life, I think the Drake family seems quite lovely.

lemonade kid likes this.
  19. Buddys Dad

Gabrielle & Cally.
    Fiercly protective of the Nick Drake legacy.
    An utter delight to talk to.

[​IMG]g drake by photos sd, on Flickr

20. HappyFingers

HappyFingers Forum Resident

I've not seen the similarity mentioned before, but I'm wondering if Nick heard this before writing At The Chime Of A City Clock:

alexpop likes this.
  21. HappyFingers

HappyFingers Forum Resident

'Electric' version:

22. lemonade kid

23. Buddys Dad

List of photographs for Keith Morris, Nick Drake, 3 Days exhibition in 2004

[​IMG]

lemonade kid likes this.
  24. flaxton

flaxton Forum Resident

I wonder what effect nicks father was on him as he was 40 when nick was born.

25. The "Now we rise / And we are everywhere" inscription is on the reverse of the gravestone. You see that side first as you approach from the church (through a creaky centuries old wooden gate). You cannot miss Nick's grave - it is right next to a big old oak tree:-

[​IMG]