Lodge 49 - New Show on AMC

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Thomas D, Aug 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beer Milk Shake

Beer Milk Shake Forum Resident

Brent Jennings. That pep talk he gives as Absalom in the Buffy the Vampire Slayer episode, "When She Was Bad", is so stirring that I almost wanted to applaud (sorry, Buffy).

2. Cupids_bow

Cupids_bow chillin like a villain

I’m still really enjoying this show. Plenty of reveals in episode 6. I’m really curious who this new guy is that was driving the school bus and is now at the lodge.

rburly likes this.
  3. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Was he the guy that the bartender (with the worm up his nose) let in, thinking he was the British liaison?

4. Cupids_bow

Cupids_bow chillin like a villain

Yes he is.

5. Complier

Complier Senior Member

I wonder if El Confidante is Captain.

rburly likes this.
  6. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

He could be! That was fun to see him in the pool having a drink and sunning himself. I'm still enjoying the show weekly. The character development is fun to watch. Liz is an interesting character. She seems smart and interesting. They really got into her character when she was applying for the job.

And we're getting closer to finding out more about Lodge 49. (No spoilers)

Borgia likes this.
  7. Borgia

Borgia Do not speak wisely of this night

Wow, the news about Larry from the REAL London emissary was crazy. I just keep saying it, but the show gets better every week.
    The Captain in a wading pool behind a trailer in the middle of nowhere. And it's were Dud is working.

Kyhl and rburly like this.
  8. vince

...and, SILVER APPLES get a CHECK!!!

notesofachord likes this.
  9. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident Thread Starter

Seeing Captain reminded me of this scene from Annie Hall (around the 1:18 point):

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
  10. vince

Just checked imdb :
    The guy who was the 'fraud' also played Humpadoo in "Preacher"!!!

11. rburly

Well, Captain Gary isn't part of the Lodge. I enjoy how the show winds into Liz's interesting life in and out. Both Dud and Liz have extreme laid back personalities. Ernie isn't going to make any money off the Captain. Liz breaks down during her executive training. Dud tells Gary he needs to get a divorce for things to go better for him. Liz is promoted high in her company. And Gary lives in a moral gray area and is going to buy land that has oil beneath it. Gary wants in the Lodge.

Borgia likes this.
  12. vince

This may all end in tears...but, what a ride!
    "I got a hot tip on a ****!"

Borgia and rburly like this.
  13. Sharp 1080

Sharp 1080 Well-Known Member

It appears we are all on the same wavelength regarding this show. The characters all seem to get covered. I also think the Captain will screw everyone eventually. Or will Dud and Ernie's dreams come true?

rburly likes this.
  14. rburly

I think Ernie's karma cancels out Dud's. It's a journey every week though. :)

15. dougotte

dougotte Petty, Annoying Dilettante

Something strange in the latest episode. When Gary is speaking to Ernie and Dud in his house, he starts saying "Kaplan" instead of "Captain". I thought it was Campbell's diction, because he sounds slurred (no wonder, with constant cocktails!) throughout. I played it back w/ CC, and it read "Kaplan" as well. What's up with that?

16. rburly

Sorry to get back to you after so long (I was busy over the weekend) but I just watched the whole episode again (my 5th time!), paying particular attention to the Dud, Ernie and Gary conversations but the Gary only referred to himself as "Captain" or "The Captain" to my ears.

So Dud and Liz have promising futures from the last episode. Can't wait to see tonight's episode!

17. Sharp 1080

Sharp 1080 Well-Known Member

Another change in fortune and direction for Liz and Dud! This show is so bizarre yet entertaining.

rburly likes this.
  18. rburly

I'm still loving this show! Ernie and Connie, leading to Ernie nailing a geologist with his car. Don Fab and the Longshoremen! Dud and Ernie having their hopes dashed leading only to more questions about Gary and Orbis. Liz is part of The Essence. What are the chances she jumps into the water and finds an Orbis refrigerator floating near Long Beach? The Captain has a narwahl in his pool?!

The show is a comedic mystery, but funny and quirky. I can't wait, again, until the next episode!

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
    Kyhl and Borgia like this.
  19. Borgia

Borgia Do not speak wisely of this night

I almost don't know what to think about this last episode. Why in the hell would Liz jump ship & swim to shore? She must not want any chance at a shot at life. Gary & the narwhal? I don't even know what to make of this, and he's still alive, no less! Crazy, but I'm hooked.

20. dougotte

In episode 8, at 54:58 on my DVR recording, Ernie asks "Just tell me why I couldn't find Kaplan." A few seconds later, Gary says "You couldn't find Kaplan because Kaplan doesn't exist. And Kaplan doesn't exist because this Orbis deal..." And he says a minute later "You met 'em at the Kaplan office, ya know."

However, at 58:32, Gary clearly says "The old Captain is three steps ahead."

I watched their lips and listened very carefully to this scence; also the CC does read "Kaplan" and the CC confirms.

As far as I've noticed, everyone says "Captain" in the rest of the episode, and in all other episodes.

21. Thomas D

Thomas D Forum Resident Thread Starter

I think the company where Ernie first heard Captain in that conference room on that speaker phone was Kaplan Architects - a phony company which was gone next time Ernie went to that bldg.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
    vince and rburly like this.
  22. dougotte

Ahh! That makes sense. Thanks.

23. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

This show has really grown on me.

When Liz jumped off the boat I laughed and rewound it to watch it again. It was comical how she just flung herself over. That after intimating jumping overboard when invited in.
    Maybe having jumped out of a moving boat myself on a couple of occasions hit closer to home. Too funny.

I'm kind of glad that Ernie and Dud found out about the fake deal. You knew it wouldn't work out, but now maybe something else will.

rburly and Borgia like this.
  24. vince

They showed "Inherent Vice" on HBO yesterday....
    There's a couple of 'themes' from that movie in here...
    of course, THIS show is funnier! D'uh, right?

rburly likes this.
  25. rburly

If you haven't seen the season finale and you enjoy the show, watch it as soon as you have some time and watch it ASAP.

My favorite show on TV right now. Excellent episode.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.