SH Spotlight I'm asked stuff: Favorite mastering engineer, best BOSTON CD, best TRAVELING WILBURYS CD, etc..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Oct 3, 2018.

1. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

As you are a fan of vintage recordings, what in your opinion was the first recording that captured fully the dynamics of what was being performed in the studio.

Tim Bucknall and EVOLVIST like this.
  2. g.z.

g.z. Senior Member

Is there a halfway decent Three Dog Night CD or are they all crappy?

3. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

Dear Mr. Hoffman,
    take your time with this one, no rush...:
    What are your 3 fave Tom Petty releases as far as best sound combined with material that you enjoy, regardless of CD or vinyl.
    Obviously just curious about your opinion concerning your 3 fave TP releases.
    For instance a Sterling stamped Damn The Torpedoes on vinyl might be one you could heartily recommend -or not.

4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

LP is ok but too many recuts to make any kind of recommendation.

5. Steve Hoffman

Some stuff in the works, don't want to jinx it though..

6. Steve Hoffman

Some stuff from the 1920s and early 30s. I started a thread about it somewhere here.

7. Steve Hoffman

I haven't heard most of them but since none use the original hit mixes, I really ain't interested..

8. Steve Hoffman

I've never paid attention to Tom Petty mastering variations, sorry. I have all of my first pressings from Shelter and Backstreet, I usually play those.

The MOFI issues are great and the original MCA CD of the second album is good.

9. QueenVault

QueenVault Forum Resident

Any interesting stories or info regarding your A Night At The Opera remaster?

10. g.z.

g.z. Senior Member

:thumbsup: Thanks, Steve.
    'Preciate it.

11. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

The Celebrate 2 CD compilation and the Best of Three Dog Night MCA CD are the best CDs available for comps.

12. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

Just wanted to say: I'm enjoying the thread. Thanks for opening it, RH

13. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

BTW @Steve Hoffman , one of Steve Hall's very first mastering jobs is the original Myrrh LP issue of Amy Grant's Platinum selling album from 1982, Age To Age, and this is an album he is still proud of working on to this day. There are CD issues faithful to this master which are those on Myrrh, A&M, Reunion and RCA.

14. George P

George P Notable Member

Glad to hear it!

15. g.z.

g.z. Senior Member

:thumbsup: Got both of'em.

SOONERFAN likes this.
  16. David Bostock

David Bostock Forum Resident

FWIW, the SHM-CD versions out of Japan from a few years ago are really good...I think they use the original mixes. And "Captured Live at the Forum" is surprisingly good...
    Three Dog Night Albums Getting SHM Treatment 4/24/13 By Universal Japan

Tim Bucknall and g.z. like this.
  17. SoundDoctor

SoundDoctor Forum Resident

What's your favorite mix of your favorite song on The White Album? You have 3 mixes of 30 tracks to pick from.

18. Steve Hoffman

No, flat transfer for the most part. Wonderful album, I never get tired of it.

19. Steve Hoffman

THE WHITE ALBUM. Eh, not sure I have a favorite song on it. I think of the album as a whole usually. Hmmm, no, don't have a favorite single song. The mono mix was great to hear after years of the wonky stereo version. Actually, when I get the box, I'll reevaluate.

20. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

@Steve Hoffman

1. I bought your DCC Gold CD of Eagles Hotel California and I don't think I've ever heard this album sound this good. All the stuff I have from DCC and Audio Fidelity has been a revelation imo.

2. Which album of all the ones you ever did for DCC or Audio Fidelity was your favorite to work on?

21. Steve Hoffman

Thanks, the Eagles stuff sold the best of any of our Gold CD's. Helped us finance the less popular sellers.

All are my babies, I can't Sophie's Choice any of them!

22. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

Any chance you could remaster the first two Jackson Browne albums? And why didn't you master them the first time around?
    S/t (Saturated Before Use)
    For Everyman

23. George P

George P Notable Member

Seconded!!

24. g.z.

g.z. Senior Member

A couple of silly and deep ones:

Can atmospheric conditions affect a recording capture, a mix, even in a studio?

Is there an optimal time of day when the ears can hear/absorb music most efficiently?

25. Dr. Winston Ramone

Dr. Winston Ramone Shoveling smoke with a pitchfork in the wind

First time, long time.

I loved the work you did on Stadium Arcadium. Are there plans to remaster other loudness-wars-era Chilli Peppers albums?

THANK YOU for hosting this website and for the work you've done!