SH Spotlight I'm asked stuff: Favorite mastering engineer, best BOSTON CD, best TRAVELING WILBURYS CD, etc..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Oct 3, 2018.

1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Not many Jewish sports heroes..

vonwegen, Rodz42, PDK and 7 others like this.
  2. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

@Steve Hoffman - You mentioned trying to remaster the Rolling Stones on DCC. What would you change about the current ABKCO and SHM SACDs if you were to remaster them today?

3. Steve Hoffman

Nah, can't talk trash about stuff out there. They did their best.

PDK, showtaper, fenderesq and 3 others like this.
  4. Dave B

Dave B Senior Member

That's a shame. I have both of the first two and was really anticipating Still Crazy. I love that album. I would have loved to hear your mastering.

vonwegen likes this.
  5. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

Hi Steve. I hope I'm correct, but I think you mentioned that you attended the rehearsals for the Quadrophenia tour in England in 1973? If not my apologies, but if you did do you have a recollections? Thanks!

[​IMG]

Ethan Russell

"What I remember most from this is that Pete and Roger were having a fight about the mirrors that you see behind them," says Russell. "Pete's idea was they were going to project some filmed footage onto them. It was sort of avant-garde and maybe smart. Roger said, 'People come to see us, right? It should just be us against a black background.' The reality is they were both right."

6. Tim Bexter

Tim Bexter Well-Known Member

Hi, steve. What is your preffered mastering of Dire Straits Catalog?

minkahed likes this.
  7. Steve Hoffman

Not me, I wish.

Jet Age Eric and keifspoon like this.
  8. Steve Hoffman

The original LP's, either USA or UK. JPN SACD for Brothers.

vonwegen, SteveS1 and SinnerSaint like this.
  9. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

Hey Steve

Some months ago you asked for recommendations, in the Hardware section, for a subwoofer. Purpose was unclear, and the thread eventually fizzled.

Presuming you don't use subs yourself, I wonder if you nonetheless found one that impressed. Make?

Thanx!

Gumboo likes this.
  10. Tim Bexter

You mean flat transfer japan remaster in 2013? I think it sounds somewhat cold. How about 1996 remaster? Isn't it fine sounding CD?

11. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

ibekeen likes this.
  12. Steve Hoffman

It's OK. The master is freezing cold to begin with.

vonwegen and SinnerSaint like this.
  13. Steve Hoffman

I did, yes. Thanks.

14. BradOlson

I know this is a disc you recommend for anyone looking for Cher's Kapp era solo hits

ibekeen and Steve Hoffman like this.
  15. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Steve, this clearly one of the most interesting threads that you've ever started, thanks!

Speaker question and believe me, I realize that it is VERY hard to recommend speakers as we all have such different hearing, but I'm still going to go out on a limb and ask your advice. I currently have five main speaker set-up's in my home and they are as follows ...

1) Klipsch Chorus 1's with Bob Crites crossovers and diaphrams
    2) Klipsch Cornwalls from 1984, no upgrades
    3) Paradigm Studio 100 v2's
    4) B&W 805D
    5) Electro Voice Aristocrat cabinets with University 3-way drivers installed

My question is that although I enjoy each of the above speakers for different reasons, I'm still trying to find a more perfect set for my ears. I love the clarity of the B&W 805D highs and mids, but I also love my Klipsch Chorus 1's, as I truly believe that the Bob Crites upgrades have softened the horns perfectly. My wish is for a more prominent bass for ALL of them. Not a club thumping bass mind you, but bass that seems like more a part of the actual speaker, rather than with the use of a sub, which I have never been able to nail down, when using one of those.

Ironically, the speaker out of this batch that most of my friends seems to love the most are the Paradigm's. I agree that they are very natural sounding speakers, but again, while close, they do not reach that bottom end that I really want, without the use of a sub.

Outside of your beloved Tannoy Dual Co. speakers, which are quite a bit unrealistic for me price wise to hunt down, do you have another speaker that you might recommend? I listen mostly to the likes of The Beatles, Sinatra, Steely Dan and The Electric Light Orchestra.

Thanks for your time and possible advice.

16. Tim Bexter

Thank you!

17. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

Oh OK. I guess you were joking, but in the favorite photos of The Who thread you replied to that photo that you were there when that pic was taken.

18. Steve Hoffman

How are those Electro-Voice? They should sound pretty damn good.

vonwegen likes this.
  19. douglas mcclenaghan

douglas mcclenaghan Forum Resident

Now that this thread has started, are you getting any sleep?

20. Steve Hoffman

Can you find where I said that? Thanks.

21. BradOlson

What are your favorite overall eras of Neil Diamond's work, Steve?

RSteven likes this.
  22. spice9

spice9 Senior Member

Since you're in the business, and something most everyone here would likely want to know...

Is MOFI, in your opinion, heading the way of AF? Seems like they have certainly not put much product out there the last year or so...

23. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

You know, the funny thing about those speakers is, that I walked into a used stereo store one day and they were playing and they sounded so great. I asked the owner what he was playing and he said that it was just XM/Sirius and my jaw hit the floor. He had those EV's hooked up to a Scott 299b tube amp and I told him that if I buy those speakers, I have to but that amp as well. $1,000 dollars later and they are in my house. The Scott now runs my Klipsch Chorus 1's and I think that they are a match made in heaven, minus that bottom end, as they just don't dip down low enough for me. I really should bring those two kids back together again, as they really were another great match. I believe that you would enjoy that set-up?

vonwegen and Pelvis Ressley like this.
  24. Tim Bexter

I cannot sure which jimi hendrix CD is best sounding CD... Steve, Can You tell me which is more close to master tape? Original CD or current Remaster?

25. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member