Importcds is now charging taxes

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Tullman, Aug 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimi Bat

Jimi Bat Forum Resident

It must depend on what state you are in.
    I ordered yesterday from Texas and no tax.

2. Gramps Tom

Gramps Tom Forum Resident

If paying an additional $6-7 on a $100 purchase keeps me from making rent, there are much larger problems to solve....

fluffskul, olson and eelkiller like this.
  3. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member Thread Starter

Sure, but that adds up for people buying new titles every month.

jamesc likes this.
  4. George P

George P Notable Member

:agree:

And it adds up to more for people who pay a higher tax rate, like those who live in New York City.

Mr. Explorer likes this.
  5. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

When I lived in MA some years ago, there was a bit on the state tax form about internet purchases out of state. While the joke at the time was about it being a voluntary tax, it is still tax evasion, and having zero here would look suspicious. I certainly wouldn't be mentioning it on internet forums.

6. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

MA did at least allow you to deduct rental payments against tax. Plus you could deduct FICA, even though you only paid tax on income after FICA deductions. I paid less tax in MA than MD, even with internet taxes.

7. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Smaller vendors are still excepted I believe. The bigger the vendor the more likely the charge.

8. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

Portability, FTW.

9. George P

George P Notable Member

Does import CDs charge tax on Amazon?

10. They have been collecting GST for the Australian government since the legislation changed here in July.Better than the scum at Amazon who blocked us from using their international sites and restricted us to their overpriced,limited range and incompetent Australian subsidiary(see the thread I started called A Letter To Amazon).

11. bug2362

bug2362 Forum Resident

Yes for me on Amazon
    No on EBay

12. Robitjazz

Robitjazz Forum Resident

I live in Italy and I don't often order outside Italy or Europe (sometimes France, Germany and UK).
    But the day before yesterday, I was looking around on their website and I added to cart after registering The complete edition of Lotus by Santana and so I have seen the application of the charging taxes (20%).
    I stopped and after some hours I received an e-mail by Importcd's featuring a promo code for a 5% discount.
    Anyway, I have verified other websites where the price of the item was higher (Amazon Italy € 130,00!).

Finally I ordered Lotus yesterday at € 77,20.

13. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Yes for me here in PA, starting earlier this year I think it was, both ImportCDs and their sister company DeepDiscount, whether ordering direct or with them on ebay or Amazon. All of amazon now actually including marketplace sellers that are NOT even in the USA Amazon has been adding the sales tax in.

14. Tullman

PA has MA beat on the marketplace sellers.

15. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

No, the actual theory is this:

If we do this, we'll probably get away with it, even if it's not legal. And we always want more of your money to redistribute to our friends and family.

16. Jimi Bat

Jimi Bat Forum Resident

Import Cds now charging sales tax in Texas.

17. Tullman

you can add Music Direct to the list

18. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

Portability, FTW.

19. Dmann201

Dmann201 Forum Resident

Yep just recieved an email from them about sales tax on my upcoming orders. Looks like elusive disc and Acoustic Sounds are still not charging tax in CA though.

20. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Would you mind sharing what it says, please ?

21. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

Import CD is charging tax in Washington DC now. I think it's a new thing. I don't remember them doing it before.

22. Dmann201

Dmann201 Forum Resident

Valued Music Direct Customer,

We are reaching out to you in regards to either an open backorder or open preorder you have with Music Direct. As we are required to collect sales tax on orders shipped to your location, the total cost of the open orders will now be recalculated to include sales tax prior to shipping. If you would prefer to cancel these open orders, please contact us via email anytime at [email protected] or call 800-449-8333 during normal business hours at your earliest convenience. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and we look forward to bringing you more great sound in the future. Thank you! Music Direct, Inc.

Myke likes this.
  23. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

Another reason I use Bull Moose though I think this tax deal is just going to snowball over the internet eventually.

24. George P

George P Notable Member

Wow, so are they taxing for all USA states now?

25. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Go put something in your cart, and see. Best way to answer your question, for your location.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.