Bob Dylan - Bootleg Series Vol. XII "The Cutting Edge"*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Abbey Road, Oct 16, 2014.

1. Percy Song

Percy Song A Hoity-Toity, High-End Client

Roger has updated his Electric Dylan site with additional information regarding the guitar and cymbal on "Visions of Johanna" after further evaluation of the isolated centre channel of the 5.1 mix of Blonde on Blonde.

Follow the "What's New" link here for the September 2018 update:-

Electric Dylan

He's also added a sticky note on the subject to the relevant section of his Cutting Edge essay. To read the note properly you need to download the PDF.

http://www.electricdylan.net/Cutting Edge/Part 5 ISIS 188.pdf

#

DeeThomaz, Archtop, Hep Alien and 2 others like this.
  2. fenderesq

fenderesq In Brooklyn It's The Blues / Heavy Bass 7-7

I'm in agreement with your assessment Tribute. My thoughts exactly upon reading the posted opinion.

Tommy Boy should offer Bob the Secretary of State position. I think Bob would relish that; Secretary Bob. And his Bobness would open for his stumping and all would be forgiven and he'd be a shoe-in. Robert McNamara & Richard Nixon Co-Secretaries / Masters of War.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
  3. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

asdf35 likes this.
  4. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Looks cool, but too pricey right now.

One of the preview images looks new to me - but it's probably been around forever:
    [​IMG]

...either way, it reminds me of that Popspots.com story where they located the location of the Blonde on Blonde cover shoot. That is still one of the coolest stories. Seemed impossible to locate.

5. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I used to walk around streets like that. Now, all the buildings that survived, and those that were built since are either multi-million dollar condos or many multi-millions of dollars in commercial rent. So NYC has become corporate chains and wealthy non-residents buying property as investments or in money laundering.

6. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Dylan made curly hair the coolest thing in the world. The Beatle Cut died an instant death when Bob hit the big time with his big hair.

Richard--W likes this.
  7. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

I thought it was Marty Allen who made curly hair cool. My mistake?

:--)

Electric Sydney and Tribute like this.
  8. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

I've never seen the entire photo. I think I've seen just Dylan cropped out of it. The entire street looks like the Village or the Bowery that I remember as a kid. I'd be pleasantly surprised if any those buildings are still there.

asdf35 likes this.
  9. Percy Song

I do hope there will be a substantial discount offered by a retailer for that Jerry Schatzberg book sometime in the future...

Meanwhile, over in another book published this week, is the news that the lead guitarist on "Visions of Johanna" was Jerry Kennedy. Daryl doesn't appear to provide irrefutable proof of this, and has in the past indicated that Wayne Moss was the player, but I've only dipped into the book so far so maybe there is more information contained therein. I'll be getting stuck in tonight...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But if you ask me whether this man could have played lead guitar on "Visions of Johanna" on 14 February, 1966 I'd say, "Yes, but it'd be nice to have proof...":-

#

10. Percy Song

Here is Jerry Kennedy, not remembering what he played on. The Blonde on Blonde section starts at around 22:50, but the whole thing is interesting:-

11. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

I think you are right. Marty Allen was very big in NYC when Bob Dylan arrived in town.

Bob has been accused of copping some of his early melodies from traditional British folk ballads.

But few have recognized that he copped his personal trademark, his hair style, from Marty Allen.

There was a story that Marty saw Dylan in the Village just after Dylan stopped brushing his hair and warned Bob to be very careful making his hair style his personal trademark. He could never count on being able to maintain it over a long career. Marty knew all about this. Marty suggested a pair of eyeglass frames as a trademark, like Woody Allen. But Dylan didn't want people to know how bad his eyesight was.

Some wonder how Dylan has been able to keep that wild hair all these years. Marty gave him a few secrets.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

Thank you for adding details to this intriguing story. The one thing Bob was unable to copy was
    the 'crazy eyes thing' though. But to each his own!

13. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Marty Feldman warned Bob that the "crazy eyes" thing could only take you places that you did not want to go.

[​IMG]

Hep Alien and The Elephant Man like this.
  14. SteveFff

SteveFff Forum Mekonista

Just started it last night. Looks great--good start. That'll be interesting to read for.

Percy Song likes this.
  15. HominyRhodes

HominyRhodes Forum Resident

I just read the first hundred pages of the Sanders book, taking the story through Dylan's first Nashville sessions on Valentine's Day 1966, and I'm really impressed with it so far. There are a few parts of the narrative I'm still a little unsure about, and I did find a couple of super-minor errors, but overall the writing style seems excellent.

I should have bought two copies, one to mark up and annotate, and one to preserve for the future, because I think "TTWMS" will likely be the definitive work regarding the Blonde on Blonde sessions.
    Can't wait to read the second half. :-popcorn:

16. Percy Song

How do you read so fast!!?? I guess you don't have to trace the lines with your finger, like I do... :)

I just read the first 17 pages last night and concur so far with your assessment of the writing style - it's efficient. There's no massive biographical preamble padding. He knows we're buying the book because we're interested in finding out about the recording of Blonde on Blonde. Whether he'll give us all the detail we crave is to be determined.

Can't wait the read the next 17 pages.....:laugh:

IronWaffle and HominyRhodes like this.
  17. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

This is the better thread for The Schatzberg book (and the Daryl Sanders book).

The new Schatzberg book has my interest. It's 262 pages, that's room for a lot of photos. I'm not too crazy about the photo-studio shots with Bob holding pliers and odd items, but I'd sure like to see what else is in the book. Color shots? New Blonde cover outtakes? There hasn't been any detailed reviews yet.

If you can see past the ads, here's a short video with Jerry + the book at the end:
    Bob Dylan's Blonde on Blonde album cover photographer Jerry Schatzberg unseen photos | Daily Mail Online

I think I'd like to get it - but first I need the Heylin Blood and Sanders Blonde books...and I need the price to drop on all of them.

18. Percy Song

Or you could take a look at this one by Schatzberg and say to yourself, "Hmm, actually those other ones are rather good value...." :laugh:

Bob Dylan by Jerry Schatzberg - Thin Wild Mercury

[​IMG]
    #

asdf35 likes this.
  19. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

Not sure if you’ve ever owned, or even held in your hands, a Genesis Publications book, but they are a thing of beauty. Expensive, so not for everyone, but the quality is superb. Comparing this to a normal, wide-release book is like apples to oranges.

20. Percy Song

Unfortunately, it's way out of my budgetary league, but it does look wonderful.

asdf35 likes this.
  21. stepeanut

stepeanut The gloves are off

I don’t own this Dylan book, but I do own their first David Bowie book, Moonage Daydream. If you ever get to see one of their editions in person, you’ll appreciate why they cost so much.

asdf35 likes this.
  22. Electric Sydney

Electric Sydney Forum Resident

Is there a link for the Heylin Blood book?

asdf35 likes this.
  23. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Electric Sydney likes this.
  24. Electric Sydney

Electric Sydney Forum Resident

25. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I'm making my way through the Big Blue. Fascinating document that I am so glad to finally have. I'm halfway through, and then there's the live material to go through. Ah, happy times ahead.

I made myself a cdr of all the takes of "Desolation Row." I love all the arrangements and configurations. . . but I think my favorite is the guitar/bass only (both acoustic and electric).

IronWaffle and NumberEight like this.