New Tom Petty/Heartbreakers Compilation: "The Best of Everything"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by McCool, Oct 5, 2018.

1. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

I’ll download the HiRes of the two new tracks. TBOE can go in my alternate SA playlist. It’s a shame it wasn’t on AAT though. That’s what pisses me off a bit.

2. ryan de topanga

ryan de topanga Forum Resident

FYI, Hi-Res will be available, with the same enhanced dynamic range (as has been the case with every TP Hi-Res release). And similar to the '90's MCA Greatest Hits, which had "Mary Jane's Last Dance" and "Something In the Air" (tracks that were not available on any other album) this release, which is career-spanning, has "The Best Of Everything" (extended version)" and "For Real" (which are not available on any other album.)

randy9700, dougb222, supermd and 6 others like this.
  3. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

I'll be buying, but there is something positively Springsteenian about these kind of tactics...

4. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

Look, Petty (Record Company) is not the first of last artist to play this tactic...Lindsay Buckinghams just done it as well.......It's always been done.

I think its the way this particular one has been done....announcing a week after we all bought the 4CD set and they have blatantly held back tracks that are now appearing on a best of. Not particularly clever in my opinion.

Record companies can't have it both ways. You can't keep churning out deluxe collections of unreleased material and then also expect the fans to purchase a "Best Of" a few weeks later to pick up the a couple of extra tracks. Especially at the moment when so much is being released in general. This may change but between September and December I only have 7 albums of newly recorded material either purchased or ordered....the rest are reissues or unreleased material.... a real reflection of the industry right now.....but tip the scales too much in one direction and people will eventually stop purchasing. Economics dictate that the saturation is going to implode.

There is of course a market for a best of....and rightly so......however this tactic can go either way....there are fans such as yourself who will still purchase this set to collect the material, and then there are fans such as Iwhere tactics such as this make me purchase less in general...and make me think twice the next time a release by the artist come out.

5. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

You're arguing with yourself. I agree. Reminds me of the release of Tracks followed by 18 Tracks with The Promise. Not particularly fan-friendly in this day and age. I will, however, buy it because it's far better than the one I have: Greatest Hits - Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers (Album) [CD]

And, yes, I have American Treasure too. And the rest of his albums.

OptimisticGoat and Kiss73 like this.
  6. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

I've got all his albums, including Greatest Hits, Anthology, Playback and An American Treasure. I'll be off to a torrent site for the two unreleased tracks from this compilation and they can sue me if they like.

7. windfall

windfall Senior Member

I imagine you will be able to buy them for 99p each...

dougb222, supermd and Matthew Tate like this.
  8. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

Saved myself £1.98 then!

DHamilton, Galaga King and Kiss73 like this.
  9. windfall

windfall Senior Member

What can I say? I’m a fan.

I will buy the CD set. I won’t pay £70+ for the vinyl. It does seem like something is out of sync here, I agree. There is something a little cynical about putting two unreleased tracks on a Best Of that must have been planned pretty much simultaneously with the American Treasure set. And then announcing the Best Of a week after the AT release. I would imagine the scenario was s9mething like the record company asked the estate for a greatest hits package for the holiday market (and AT is patently not that). And of course we all know that a Best Of package is hardly ever put out without superfan-baiting bonuses. So there is nothing outrageous going on here. Just standard music biz shenanigans.

The bonuses will be streamable and almost certainly available for individual purchase in different formats, so not a lot worth getting worked up about.

I am just over the moon to have B of E complete at last.

What can I say?I’m a fan.

It’s mugs like us that keep the wheels turning.

supermd, Kiss73 and The Killer like this.
  10. windfall

windfall Senior Member

Meanwhile, 48 hrs after shipping confirmation, Hermes is still apparently “expecting” my parcel (American treasure superdeluxe). Yeah, you and me both, Hermes.

11. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

I can see why they might want another Greatest Hits at this time and although I pretty much lap up anything Tom Petty, hey I've even got the Simpsons figure!, I don't need or want this and the 'two tracks' is just a bit cynical, against my usual media purchase policy I'll download just the two I haven't got and leave the rest.

12. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

Handle with Care live maybe. It's a George Harrison song.

13. Carlox

Carlox Forum Resident

This 'Best of' is not a bad selection...
    But of course, we're never satisfied ;)
    In my case, i miss "Yer so bad", "A Face in the Crowd" and ""Two Gunslingers"...
    With a career like Tom Petty, 3 discs were ideal.

Hep Alien and Matthew Tate like this.
  14. Peja11

Peja11 PC is Neither

Ordered the colored vinyl version for an extra $10 yesterday. First American Treasure now The Best of Everything, Wildflowers (in the queue) and a possible Fillmore set. Keep'em coming. It's a great time to be a TP&HB's fan

randy9700 and 500Homeruns like this.
  15. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

My guess is they wont' be available individually, you'll only get them by buying the whole thing.

16. Peja11

Peja11 PC is Neither

I'm not seeing that. Maybe it's been corrected

17. dbone828

dbone828 Only Visiting This Planet

It's about time they included "Walls (Circus)" on a Tom Petty hits compilation.

18. The Big Guy

The Big Guy Forum Resident

You may be right but considering that the four disc set was only $25 and the hits compilation will probably be around $15 it's hard to get mad about it. Unless
    you're into the vinyl, I guess.

19. The Big Guy

The Big Guy Forum Resident

They'll be on Volume 2 :agree:

20. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

No question the cost of American Treasure softens the blow. It is what it is, I'm not a completist of any kind but I do feel a bit..umm..deceived with this announcement coming so shortly after the box set release. That's all.

BeatleJWOL and The Big Guy like this.
  21. Peja11

Peja11 PC is Neither

It would be nice to know the evolution and timeline of the two projects. It's possible the two unreleased tracks on "Best of" were spoken for before the "Treasure' list was compiled.

22. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

I’m relatively new to Tom’s catalog and was just recently considering picking up the 2-CD Anthology compilation. So this is right down my alley and will pick it up......think this should serve as better starting point for me than American Treasure.

Btw, it’s great that Tom’s team continues to provide Hires versions with extended dynamic range. I know we would love to have the same on CD but this is way better than a lot of artists that use the same lower DR master for Hires.

23. dbone828

dbone828 Only Visiting This Planet

With 28 songs that charted on the Billboard Hot 100, one would think a 2-disc best of would be the perfect place to include all of those hits, yet they still managed to omit some of Petty's charting hits: "A Woman's in Love (It's Not Me)" (1981, #79), "Change of Heart" (1982, #21), "Make It Better (Forget About Me)" (1985, #54), "Rebels" (1985, #74), "Needles and Pins" (live) (1985, #37), "A Face in the Crowd" (1989, #46), "Yer So Bad" (1989, #80), and "It's Good to Be King" (1994, #68), plus "Handle with Care" (1988, #45) and "End of the Line" (1988, #63) if you include Traveling Wilburys songs. But I personally think omitting Wilburys tunes was a wise choice, as he wasn't the frontman of that group.

And while I understand why they wouldn't include "Christmas All Over Again," most mainstream listeners would be familiar with that song. I think it worked when the Eagles included "Please Come Home for Christmas" on the 2CD Very Best Of compilation.

24. You mean a record company is trying to make money? No way! And during the Holidays at that. Multiple box sets by an artist they know will sell and make great gifts is a no brainer on the labels part. Stop the why would they do this talk and trying read how the record label perceives releases and stick to the release itself and content.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  25. twistandshout

twistandshout Forum Resident

Wish they would put out some live concerts on Blue Ray or DVD....such as "Pack Up the Plantation" or "Take the Highway" (of which I thought Petty was in his prime - best concert of all).....and they can honor him with putting together a nice coffee table book or reprinting some that had been out years ago. Also, how about a 2019 Petty Calendar? There are lots of things they can do...but to put out another box set - and making that announcement 1 week after putting out "An American Treasure" box set is not good timing. Tom would never allow such a thing like that - he never wanted to alienate fans or rip off fans....and to put this "Best of Everything" out too close to American Treasure - and release 2 new songs on that instead of putting those on American Treasure speaks of greed. The rest of the songs have already been on various albums and box sets.....in my opinion, Tom put out all the songs he felt were best during his lifetime. Whatever was in that vault should have remained there as there was a reason he didn't want to release those.....he was always in control of his music for 50 years and should have locked that vault and thrown away the key.