What is Paul McCartney releasing next? Life after Egypt Station

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by omikron, Oct 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account Thread Starter

There has been much discussion on the Egypt Station threads about the many additional songs left off of the album.

Some feel a quick follow-up studio album using the additional tracks is the right play. Others (like me) do not.

We know a deluxe version of the album is coming but we do not know a thing about it yet.

Discussion topics for this thread:

1. Speculation on what will be on the deluxe Egypt Station

2. What known projects of Paul's remains unreleased and what do we know about them?

3. What would be a suitable next release for Paul? Studio follow-up album? Live album? Classical? The Fireman? McCartney III?

Thrilington has already started an Archive release thread so no discussion of that is needed in this thread. Paul McCartney Archive Collection - 'Forthcoming Releases' [TBC]

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
  2. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

It's apparent that McCartney can still produce great albums, so I hope after the #1 success of ES he gets back in the studio, only this time as I've been hoping with his band and record another brand new album! Yes, I still want to hear a total band album, not just them playing here and there.

On ES I hear drum parts that would have been even better if Abe was playing, so I just hope we can finally get a full band album. Either way I would love to see another new album from McCartney.

An official live boxset of Wings from 72, 73, 74, 79 would be absolutely great also!

3. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

There is this little band of his putting out a Super Deluxe set of their self titled album in November, maybe you've heard of it?

musicfan37 likes this.
  4. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

It was 5 years between New and ES so the next project likely won’t be anytime soon, but still interesting to speculate. Personally, I would love to hear a band album where he brings more of the vibe of somewhere between “Caesar Rock” and the best stuff on his last Fireman album, more of the experimental stuff. I think he excels in that musical territory.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
  5. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

Hopefully this is not about the Beatles, but McCartney himself!
    He could also release all the songs recorded during the ES sessions, if they're anything like Get Started and Nothing For Free, I would love it!

Paulwalrus likes this.
  6. Mister President

Mister President Forum Resident

Freshen Up double live album, release date 21st June 2019. :winkgrin:

theMess, Who Cares, Usagi75 and 3 others like this.
  7. omikron

I think he can and should use his recent momentum to get something out there. We know he can successfully release albums within a year of each other.

8. omikron

I would imagine if any live material is released, it would be from the Cavern show and the Abbey Road Studio 2 show.

I'm guessing those will be on the deluxe Egypt Station but stand alone versions are also likely.

The prospect of a stand alone live tour release is interesting with all of this discussion on his voice going around. I wonder how much surgery they would do on the recordings before releasing?

But what bothers me is the repetitive set list. I'd rather see a single disc omitting everything already released live so many times like he did with Paul Is Live.

Who Cares, ted321, Sean and 2 others like this.
  9. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

Besides the alleged deluxe ES, probably just releasing tickets for tour dates for this album for a while considering the album just came out! I can see him touring for a while and then chilling for a bit before any new studio material hits. Egypt Station is a kickass album, I am loving it even more than NEW which I already dug a lot

Dr. Pepper, foxylady and omikron like this.
  10. JLGB

JLGB Senior Member

Make an album out of the songs he left out till present day, starting with PRESS.

905 and omikron like this.
  11. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Ugh.

He just released an album. I mean, how about we analyze the present one to death, first?

12. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

In my opinion, the Deluxe edition of Egypt Station will likely be similar to the NEW deluxe edition---a few extra (2 or 3) new songs and some live stuff.

But what's next?

I think Paul's next "new" project will be the completion of the often delayed HIGH IN THE CLOUDS animation film and soundtrack. In fact, the soundtrack may be all ready to go; it is just the film that needs to be completed.

13. omikron

Yeah we definitely need a few more threads on it for sure. The dozen or so already aren't enough. o_O

We McCartney fans are a zealous bunch.

JLGB and Ringo Hendrix like this.
  14. omikron

So what does he do with the supposed 10 or so extra songs in the can from the sessions?

15. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

I thought you were opposed to a quickly released follow up album (per OP)? Or are you suggesting you're okay with it as long as McCartney comes up with entirely new material in a short period of time?

I'm one of the "release something quick (and I don't care if it's a shorter 38-45 minute album. In fact, I prefer that) people. This is a new era. All the wait x number of years doesn't apply anymore.

Paulwalrus likes this.
  16. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

Been there/done that! :D

JLGB, Paulwalrus and Chemguy like this.
  17. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

Considering that Lady Gaga is getting Oscar buzz for A Star is Born (and we've got quite a bit of time before the next Academy Awards) I'd hope the next project includes the song she recorded with Paul ostensibly for High in the Clouds. She's had a brilliant career already, but if she is transitioning to serious actor - now is the time to get that recording out. Tons of automatic publicity.

theMess and Who Cares like this.
  18. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

This is the core of a new album.

Who Cares likes this.
  19. Arnold Grove

I think Paul always has extra songs left over from most of his albums. And those songs, over time, usually sneak out as soundtrack songs, or B-sides, or they stay locked away.

As for the current batch of leftovers, I presume a handful of the extra songs will go on the Deluxe Egypt Station. Maybe 1 or 2 will show up elsewhere on a charity record or soundtrack. And then the rest will just be filed away with 1882, Waterspout, Boil Crisis, Cage, Return To Pepperland, Blackpool, India, etc., etc.

20. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

I agree - if ticket sales equal notches up the Billboard Chart, get a new CD ready for the Spring leg of Freshen Up. Just West Coast dates alone will help to get the follow up in the top 10. Touring is the best promotion, the man can't tour forever.

Zeki likes this.
  21. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

People!
    He's JUST RELEASED A NEW ALBUM! His tireless promotion helped it sell well.
    He continues his "never ending tour".
    "White Album deluxe edition" is coming out.
    A new "McCartney Archives" (not sure which) is imminent.
    He's 76 years old!
    He's been a prolific pro musician since 1960! (Or even before depending one one's definition of "pro musician"!)

What else do you want? Jeez!

22. Arnold Grove

Well, maybe Paul can, but I'm starting to worry about his BAND. Except for Abe Jr (who is not yet 50), the others aren't spring chickens any longer, with Brian and Wix in their low 60s. And Rusty will be 60 years old in January. So when will they decide to quit, especially if Paul continues to tour into his 90s? ;)

23. Arnold Grove

A demo of "Waterspout" ... ;)

24. Ringo Hendrix

Ringo Hendrix Resident Pest

"I Don't Know" will be a very symbolic song at that point;)

25. MySweetFork

MySweetFork Pete Best

Oh that's easy. McCartney III in 2020.

dylankicks, Maffune, theMess and 9 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.