Home Improvement (ABC TV show)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MikaelaArsenault, Jul 11, 2018.

1. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident Thread Starter

After all, he was a teen idol.

Jarleboy likes this.
  2. jason88cubs

jason88cubs Forum Resident

man i love the halloween episodes!

season 3 is really strong.

3. MikaelaArsenault

Here’s a clip from one of them:

Matthew Tate likes this.
  4. jason88cubs

that was creepy

5. MikaelaArsenault

The thumbnail alone though... :hide:

6. jason88cubs

which episode is it?

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  7. jason88cubs

The episode where Tim doesnt like the new Binford tool, and he could have lost his job and went back on teh road selling tools

He said he would have been on the road for 30 weeks

52 weeks in a year

so he would have had almost HALF the year off

whats the downside

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  8. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

I seem to recall they did a 3D episode.

9. jason88cubs

yea all the ABC shows did that night. Family Matters, Step by Step??, Drew Caray show

10. MikaelaArsenault

A Night To Dismember.

11. MikaelaArsenault

This is the only trace of 3D I could find.

12. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

It was telecast on ABC's "All-3D night" and only the opening and closing "Tool Time" segments had the 3D effect added (anaglyph - red-blue). The DVD however does not have the 3D effect added.

ABC promoted that particular Tuesday's line-up in advance so that people could go out to a participating store and purchase a set of 3D glasses. I already had my own so didn't need to.

13. MikaelaArsenault

But the rest of the episode didn’t have it at all?

14. HGN2001

Correct. Just the two Tool Time segments.

I remember being disappointed.

15. jason88cubs

should have just had Heidi stand naked...

which BTW Debbi Dunning was a HORRIBLE actress

Great at the small stuff, but when she had major storylines??? WOOF

16. MikaelaArsenault

My dad really liked Pam Anderson better.

17. jason88cubs

I like the one where Randy got his own room

Jarleboy and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  18. MikaelaArsenault

I like The Route Of All Evil, which is one of my favorites.

Jarleboy likes this.
  19. MikaelaArsenault

Does anyone remember this?

There was some animated segment that was on TV just the other day and it was part of somebody's dream sequence or something like that, but I really forget the exact full details.

20. jason88cubs

Thanksgiving episode it sucked

21. HGN2001

General impression:

Most of the participants of this thread don't seem to actually *like* HOME IMPROVEMENT.

I always thought it was a highly-rated and well-loved series.

22. MikaelaArsenault

Thank you.

23. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

At the time, it certainly started out that way. But like many comedy shows, it wore out its welcome fast as the formula ran aground (who didn't wear it out? very few. Cheers, Taxi, Barney Miller, Seinfeld)
    It comes down to the kids' episodes being off the wall and Patricia Richardson's admitted dislike of comedy as things wore on. Plus the writers couldn't come up with fresh stuff.

S. P. Honeybunch and jason88cubs like this.
  24. HGN2001

I could beg to differ regarding SEINFELD. It was quite formulaic in that there was usually some misunderstanding by or around George; Kramer was often in on some kind of scheme, Jerry was usually looking for a girlfriend, and Elaine was screwing something up, and somehow, it was all related by the end. That's not to say that it wasn't funny. It was often hilarious, even if you could sometimes see it all coming from a mile away.

HOME IMPROVEMENT certainly also followed a set format, and I find that it too is often hilarious. I surely don't get the almost hatred of Patricia Richardson exhibited here. Her reactions to what goes on around her are often priceless. And the fact that she essentially holds together the family unit by being the "sensible" one most of the time, would seem to fit in with the modern elevation of women to higher standards in our society.

Jarleboy and GLENN like this.
  25. balzac

balzac Senior Member

"Home Improvement" got good ratings (for most of its run anyway). I guess it's up for debate as to how well it has aged. I sometimes wonder if its decade-plus in HEAVY syndication after the show ended may have worn the show out a bit on some folks.

I still enjoy the show, despite not otherwise liking Allen in anything other than "Galaxy Quest" and, I guess, the "Santa Clause" movies. The "dumb husband with a sometimes nagging wife who is way smarter and hotter" trope is tiresome, even though it continued on for years after the show (Raymond, King of Queens, etc.)

As I've said in other "HI" threads, the show lost what little teeth it had once they let up on the more sarcastic/sardonic/biting jokes and moments with Al, and also when the kids got to near college age.

As someone else mentioned, once Heidi was getting full episodes, and then once Al's mom died and he got engaged, the show was running on fumes and had the typical late-era bloat of a sitcom where it gets less funny, the main characters/family become *more* successful ("Tool Time" is in multiple markets now!), and so on.

There are some epic stinker episodes in the late era of the show's run. The episode where Lisa/Pamela Anderson comes back and Heidi feels displaced. That musical episode where Tim and Jill do a "Grease" thing. The episodes with Tim's mom after she moved into a new house (multiple episodes with Tim's loser brother who mooches off their mother). Al and his fiance/wife. The era where Al rents a house from Tim.

The earlier era, despite some of Allen's comedic style not aging well, has some pretty funny episodes. The episode where Tim has to room with Al at his apartment is great. The early Christmas and Halloween episodes are good.

The only late era episode I remember liking (and maybe it's more mid-era) is the episode with Jill's "Cousin Henry" who makes outsider art. The guy is high on fumes at his art studio where Tim goes to find Jill's old childhood piano. I was always surprised they never brought that guy back.