Netflix Series - The Haunting of Hill House

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Veech, Oct 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Veech

Veech Space In Sounds Thread Starter

This looks interesting and seems to have good buzz. Directed by Mike Flanagan (Gerald's Game).

2. Excellent series. Enjoyed how well the series was put together, the performances. Terrific performances from the kids. Love the puzzle nature and the way it’s put together.

RickH, CrazyCatz and Veech like this.
  3. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Gerald's game was really well directed and quite good, so I'm looking forward to this (plus the orig. film is an all-time favorite). So it's up now?

GodShifter, Veech and CrazyCatz like this.
  4. Veech

Yep, dropped yesterday. Getting mostly positive reviews so far.

Ghostworld likes this.
  5. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

I love how they are plinking the music to "Our House is a very very fine house" in that trailer.
    Anybody notice that?

Robert C and RickH like this.
  6. Yes. The basic premise is the same as are some of the characters names but the rest is quite new.

7. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I watched it. Didn't realize it was a series until I looked at the episodes on Netflix.

I see it's "The Haunting of Hill House" in name only. :realmad:

After two episodes, I think I'm out. I was expecting a taut horror house movie but it's been so rewritten the original barely exists. Why?

My general impression is that being flaccidly directed with really boring, stilted dialog, resulting in tedium broken now and then with a random cheap jump scare. Too many abrupt flashbacks with similar looking dark-haired women kept me confused. But the worst part is Shirley Jackson's horror novel turned into television horror melodrama that feels aimed at the female "Lifetime" crowd.

I doubt we'll see another season, but then not everyone is as fussy as me. I couldn't stand it.

I switched over some movie called As Above, So Below and was grateful to actually watch a story that actually moves, instead of having that made-for-tv series glacial pacing.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
  8. Give it a chance. Yes, it has cheap scares and yes, it is, as I mentioned takes only certain elements from the original novel BUT the characters, their interaction within the story and the way it is told makes it truly arresting and more than just your standard horror movie. I did like how certain moments from Jackson's novel was recast in a different light here.

RickH likes this.
  9. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Maybe I'll revisit it.

10. Veech

Maybe they didn't want to do a remake per se? I think that might be a good thing.

11. The best way to look at this is this: Fargo the movie had little to do with Fargo the TV series except the general concepts, etc. and feel. The Haunting and the novel The Haunting of Hill House does much the same thing here. Excellent performances, some top notch writing, character interaction and the dysfunctional family within a horror setting makes this kind of interesting.

Veech likes this.
  12. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

I agree. You can’t make a series based upon a relatively short novel without taking a lot of liberties. Bates Motel had very little to do with either the source novel or the Hitchcock movie and I think it is better because of it.

wayneklein likes this.
  13. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

I just wasn't feeling it, I guess. And Hill House looked like a bed and breakfast, for Satan's sake! Hahha.

14. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

That’s the impression I got from the trailer. I read Jackson’s novel a few years ago and didn’t recognize anything from the novel in the trailer. I actually looked up the title to make sure I didn’t have the novel mixed up with another novel. I’m still going to give the series a chance at some point.

15. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Is it a one season series? I hope hope. If it is, I'll finish watching it.

16. Yes. 10 episodes.

Ghostworld likes this.
  17. Veech

Nothing will equal the sheer dread and horror of the 1963 movie, imo. Truly a classic. The scene with the bending door is brilliant.

18. So much so that Disney had to rip it off for The Haunted Mansion.

Veech likes this.
  19. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

That one scared the yell outta me as a little kid.

willboy, badfinger54, apesfan and 2 others like this.
  20. Macman

Macman Senior Member

Same here. Couldn't sleep for a week.

21. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

[​IMG]

willboy and badfinger54 like this.
  22. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

This is what starting my eyes glazing over. That scene appears in this film -- and the director turned one of horror's greatest scenes on film into a great big MEH! Sacrilege!

Maybe others will like it, but it's like someone doing a cover of the Beatles for me. No way! (heheh, got the Beatles in here..)

AppleCorp3 likes this.
  23. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I'm almost through this (I'm finishing it because if I give enough time to something I usually want to see it to the end).

I haven't seen the original movie nor read the book so I can only comment on what I've seen in this series. As far as the abrupt flashbacks? You get used to them. Random cheap jump scares? Check. How many times does a horror film have to resort to the greenish dead person who's mouth opens into infinite blackness and screams?; lots of horror tropes going on here. Angry gifted sister? Check. Confused, overly sensitive younger sister? Check. Troubled, drug addled character? Check. Cynical, non-believer character? Check. Silted dialogue? You betcha.

Do agree that with four actresses with brown hair, it can be confusing to figure out who is who (at least initially). I also don't care for the fact that the series has done what every other series does and resorts to being as inclusive and PC as possible, but it is what it is.

This is okay and I'll finish it, but I certainly don't recommend people rush to Netflix and stream this as soon as possible.

Ghostworld likes this.
  24. Using tropes works if used properly and within context.

I liked it myself and liked the character development. I also found the series playing with many of the tropes (well that's me I guess). To each their own but I enjoyed it and thought they did a clever job of reinventing a great novel, great movie (Robert Wise's film), the not-so-great remake.

GodShifter likes this.
  25. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I think I’ve seen the remake? The whole red door and climbing the stair case seemed familiar. What year did the remake come out?

I’m not saying this is bad and I’m glad you enjoyed it. As I said, it’s “okay”, but not great. YMMV.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.