Beach Boys Sail On Sailor with Carl Wilson lead!!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Joel1963, Oct 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill Larson

Bill Larson Forum Resident

I’ll never get around to it— I’ll take your word for it.

KirkK likes this.
  2. KirkK

KirkK Senior Member

Mr. Desper is questioning who is singing lead on the final, released version of “Sail on Sailor” now... sigh... bums me out. He also says it is Dennis on “Fourth of July.” If he can’t get these basic facts correct, when there is unimpeachable aural evidence, it’s tough to trust much else. Reminds me a bit of Carol Kaye’s wilder claims (though Mr. Desper is much classier and polite thankfully!)

I never imagined when I woke up today that I’d be debating with Steve Desper over who sang on these two songs... but I guess that’s life in this post-fact world we live in :)

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
  3. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

He is old and deteriorating, he just misremembers.....
    the recordings are quite clear of what is going on.

MaestroDavros and KirkK like this.
  4. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

who's making those decisions? Brian, Al, Mike and carl and Dennis's families? Anyone know?

5. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member Thread Starter

6. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member Thread Starter

Regarding Fourth of July, I seem to remember reading in Desper's notes that Carl did sing the released version of Fourth of July during Brian's 29th birthday party, and that Dennis was not even present. There may be some mix up between the demo (what was released) and development demo (not previously released).

7. KirkK

KirkK Senior Member

I just can’t understand why he clings to memories rather than listening to the recordings. It’s Carl on “Fourth of July”, no mistaking it. All I can conclude is he can’t tell the difference between the singers in the Beach Boys as well as many fans are able to, and isn’t comfortable admitting it.

He refuses to accept that what he thinks his tape is could be anything but an early take despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary, to the point that he thinks it’s a great mystery as to who is singing the final version of “Sail on Sailor.” I’ve said all I can on that thread, thankfully at least one person backed me up. But there’s little use arguing with someone who is so adamantly ignoring the truth. So weird!

Lost In The Flood and jeremylr like this.
  8. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I don't want to criticise Steve, especially since he does so much to share these recordings and stories with us.

But it's Blondie. I'm sorry!

9. Bellagio

Bellagio Forum Resident

Nope - Blondie recorded over Carl's attempts.

Pelvis Ressley and KirkK like this.
  10. Bellagio

Bellagio Forum Resident

Again, sorry but no.

Rick Bartlett likes this.
  11. jiggy22

jiggy22 Forum Resident

Good insider source indicates that a 1968 set will indeed be coming next November in physical and digital formats.

12. KirkK

KirkK Senior Member

I suspected as much, you can hear where they punch out of Blondie's vocal and Carl's voice goes "ahhh" (holding the note a bit longer on "sailor" I assume) from his own attempt, at the end of the chorus prior to the final verse. Such a shame if that's the case. But maybe an earlier tape will pop up somewhere one day. The discovery of that Wild Honey-era "Surf's Up" makes me feel like anything is possible.

Sammy Banderas and Rick Bartlett like this.
  13. tman53

tman53 Vinyl is an Addiction

While I agree that it really seems to be Blondie singing on SOS, I also think that those who continue to go at Mr Desper should let it go at this point. He's done us all a great service by making these recordings and information available. Just enjoy it.This is not an attack on anyone whose posted here or on the other forum.

14. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

There are tons of things in the vaults

Ken.W likes this.
  15. KirkK

KirkK Senior Member

Agreed. He's made his mind up. It's just too bad as it does cast doubt on everything else he says. Just means I'll take his recollections with a grain of salt, but will enjoy the recordings he posts no less than I did before.

16. factory44

factory44 Forum Resident

17. jiggy22

jiggy22 Forum Resident

Video has been removed “until further notice” according to SWD. Very unfortunate it came to this.

18. Beyond all the controversy around who sang lead on that particular version of Sail On, Sailor, I'm genuinely surprised there hasn't been more discussion about the same video's other great revelations - particularly the "demo" for 4th Of July and the mythical unedited (Wouldn't It Be Nice To) Live Again, complete with ending jam section.

19. MaestroDavros

MaestroDavros Forum Resident

I do greatly respect Mr. Desper for his contributions to the history of the Beach Boys and his engineering contributions to the industry in general, but I must say he is his own worst enemy. Everything involving him sharing any insight or opinion (often controversial) seems to devolve into drama, this sadly being no exception.

20. jiggy22

jiggy22 Forum Resident

The unedited “(Wouldn’t it Be Nice) To Live Again” wasn’t included, it was just an alternate mix, which happens to fade out at around the same time as the version on Made in California.

21. I don't know if the contents of that video were altered before it was pulled altogether, but when I last checked the alternate mix of "WIBNTLA" continued on with an instrumental section rather than fading out. I've heard that particular version may also have been identical to the copy on this CDR acetate:

[​IMG]

Sammy Banderas and yesstiles like this.
  22. JayDeeEss

JayDeeEss Forum Resident

For an accomplished presence who's very generous with his time and available to fans, Desper's been a disappointing presence on the scene. Consistently misidentifying vocalists, somehow came away after years of working with the Beach Boys thinking that the SMiLE project was a creation of the press, etc. -- just kind of an oblivious guy.

23. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Yep all that, but what an amazing engineer of their period!
    Mind blowing great!

24. picassoson

picassoson Forum Resident

Yeah, does it sound like Dennis is trying a mock Paul Robeson imitation (or someone similar) on 4th of July? Pretty bizarre...

25. JayDeeEss

JayDeeEss Forum Resident

Undoubtedly. I just wish he didn't feel the need to die on every hill. (Again, a board full of enthusiasts trying to patiently explain to him that SMiLE wasn't a fiction created by the music press, but an actual Beach Boys album slated for release that had printed advertisements and interviews promoting it was a sight to see.)

Lost In The Flood likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.