SH Spotlight I'm asked stuff: Favorite mastering engineer, best BOSTON CD, best TRAVELING WILBURYS CD, etc..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Oct 3, 2018.

1. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

I never worked at KLOS, only Metromedia sister stations KLAC AM and KMET FM. I worked the swing shift, started at 3 PM, off at midnight, thereby avoiding traffic both ways. Sometimes I stayed long after midnight if something cool was going on. I hung with B. Mitchell Reed, all the gang at the Mighty Met and the great country jocks at KLAC.

I was in love with the "The Burner Mary Turner" (who wasn't) and working there was the best job I ever had. $3.25 an hour, baby! KLAC is where I met all the country stars of the day and 10 feet away was KMET where I met all the rock stars of the day. I was in heaven and they were paying me. I was living at home, my dad paid for my gas, I went to school in the AM and rocked out in the PM. I got free country records and free rock records, I was in charge of the air sound and always had a blast. I picked out Jim Ladd's groupies for him, I kissed Tanya Tucker, got to strum guitar with Johnny Cash, I chatted with ALL of Fleetwood Mac about politics, I was in bliss. Met Pink Floyd, Elton John, all kinds of great rock and country people.

I got to do live remotes from Disneyland, I got to know the wonderful record company reps, and learned everything about broadcasting from Radio Legend Bill Ward (the best boss I ever had), KMET PD Sam Bellamy, PD Don Langford, all the gang at Metromedia Radio. Best year I ever had. 1976-77. Ask Dr. Demento, he remembers it all!

Weekends I worked at KPFK and got paid for that as well, one of the few that did. A crazy place but I learned a lot there as well, a more political kind of learning, and a deep discovery of obscure music from all eras.

MonkeyLizard, poe_man, z4e and 57 others like this.
  2. Steve Hoffman

Yes, there is a thread on it here somewhere.

3. g.z.

g.z. Senior Member

:cool: Major coolness! Thank you for sharing that.

Tuco and RSteven like this.
  4. g.z.

g.z. Senior Member

Is the version of "Junior's Farm" on the 2014 Deluxe Edition of Venus And Mars
    the correct 45RPM single master mix?

5. Steve Hoffman

No offense but how the 'ell would I know?

6. g.z.

g.z. Senior Member

:thumbsup: None taken.

7. Steve Hoffman

You want to hear the correct version of JUNIOR'S FARM with the right EQ, etc.? Buy the Apple 45 on ebay. Get the US Capitol pressed version. Two bucks. A great record, one of my all-time faves!

8. Aoide

Aoide Forum Resident

I'd be super curious to hear @Steve Hoffman's views on this. Thanks so much.

Jet Age Eric and Keith V like this.
  9. g.z.

g.z. Senior Member

Have you ever had a record, LP 0r 45, that was dificult to track
    because of sheer dynamic range?

dav-here likes this.
  10. 9 Volt

9 Volt That cat's something I can't explain

11. Steve Hoffman

I really have no view. It's pointless for me, I don't use 24/96. Either I master in 16/44 or DSD or vinyl.

12. What is your preferred tube line up ?

13. appledan

appledan Resident Rockist

Do you ever listen to pre-recorded cassette or 8-track tapes?

14. g.z.

g.z. Senior Member

I love your mastering of Hell Bent For Leather.
    At Audio Fidelity, were there any plans to issue
    any additional Judas Priest albums?

screw_squirrel likes this.
  15. Steve Hoffman

This is all covered in my new book "Pointless ****."

Well, here you go. My power tubes are GE's. 6L6GC, matched.

First position input: Telefunken ECC83, second position either Mullard or Bugle Boy ECC82, third position RCA or Sylvania, last position, don't care but always old, not new..

16. Steve Hoffman

Nope. Not since I had a cassette deck in my car in the 1980s..

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
    dav-here likes this.
  17. Steve Hoffman

No idea, probably.

g.z. likes this.
  18. Steve Hoffman

Just wanted to mention that this all came about simply because I hung around our local college radio station, watched them do live shows, learned how to work the board and took the effort to get my FCC license (cost like 20 bucks or something). One of the college radio people was working at Metromedia, leaving for a better paying union job at CBS and recommended me. I was willing to work weird hours, and I guess they liked me. They hired me and the next thing I knew I was standing next to Elton John, adjusting him microphone. Happened in one day.

Radio was King then. Not anymore, sadly.

19. Steve Hoffman

Back in the old days, yes, but I've used "tracking expert" type cartridges since high school, so not much. Sometimes stuff is just cut too hot and there isn't a darn thing you can do about it..

vonwegen and g.z. like this.
  20. g.z.

g.z. Senior Member

The Mighty Met was everybody's radio station in Southern California.
    It was ours. I started listening in 1976 right up until they were gone.
    Great days on the airwaves back then.

dav-here and Tommy SB like this.
  21. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

what's the best thing you do to clear your mind away from music period?
    nothing like late night mixes, then hearing it with fresh ears afterwards and thinking what the?
    you fish? go camping?

22. thestereofan

thestereofan Senior Member

The Mighty Met was King in 1979. Sponsoring the Wall Concerts and interviewing Roger Waters before the album came out was their peak. WhooYa. A little bit o' heaven 94,7 tweedle dee

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
    dav-here, Tommy SB, floyd and 2 others like this.
  23. 9 Volt

9 Volt That cat's something I can't explain

Those vintage Telefunken ECC83 preamp tubes are absolutely amazing. I've got four of them in my guitar amp. Very highly recommended, BUT BEWARE when looking to buy them as there are many fake 'vintage' Telefunken tubes out there. Here's what to look for:

1. Diamond mark embossed (a raised mark) within the circle of pins on the bottom of the tube. No raised diamond mark: DON'T BUY IT! Flat or engraved diamond mark: DON'T BUY IT!

2. The white Telefunken logo on a true vintage tube should scratch off easily with your fingernail. Fakes have a baked-on or painted-on logo which will not scratch off without using a knife blade. So if it won't scratch off easily: DON'T BUY IT!

3. Some people with killer systems and golden ears can hear a difference between smooth plate tubes and so-called ribbed plate tubes. I cannot. Chances are you won't either. Go for the one with the best price.

4. Avoid the new Telefunken Black Diamond tubes. They are genuine Telefunken tubes but they do not sound like the original vintage tubes. Not even close.

5. Buy from reputable dealers only (I highly recommend Brent Jessee's audiotubes.com). DON'T buy from craigslist or no-name ebay guys.

Do your research and you will be very happy with these tubes.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
    vonwegen likes this.

24. Thank you

25. Steve Hoffman

I never clear my mind away from music. I just change the music..

Mowgli, NapalmBrain, dartira and 14 others like this.