And the next Dr Who is?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Gibson67, Jul 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

I always get a bit anxious before the start of a new era. I’m sure Whittaker will be great, but will the show be?

Shawn likes this.
  2. KAJ1971

KAJ1971 Ex-burger flipper/Sapper/book seller, Reg Nurse.

What can you do, some people are just idiots.

Andy Smith likes this.
  3. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Why worry? The show hasn't been great since its rebirth (with some notable exceptions).

4. KAJ1971

KAJ1971 Ex-burger flipper/Sapper/book seller, Reg Nurse.

Been average since mid Tennant. Didn't even watch the last two series more than once. Didn't buy the Blurays either. Looks like a good point to abandon ship. Plenty of quality tv out there. No need to watch out of habit.

5. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Verdicts on last night's Dr Who?
    I thought it wasn't too bad. Whittaker played it very well but her Matt Smith type zanyness, I found annoying. Too many accessory characters and the whole thing moved too fast (as usual). I'll give it a chance next week and see if I stick with it.

6. I thought it was pretty good, to be honest.

It would have been very easy to make a complete mess of the introductory episode with attempts at explaining the new Dr. but they avoided that pitfall very well, I thought.

One or two trite lines here and there; otherwise I thought it was a strong debut for Whitaker.

Best Wishes,
    David

7. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I thought it was pretty awful to be honest. It looked and felt like a low budget kids show.

Now, you may say it is a kids show, but it isn't anymore. The Dr Who fanbase is pretty wide and varied, so it's a mistake to make a kids type show as you just alienate the fans.

There is no reason why you can't make a mature sci-fi/horror type show that appeals to all ages.

The novelty casting just felt so forced and unnatural.

The BBC sells this show all over the world and so I just don't understand why they can't cast better quality actors. You need talent in a flagship show. It shouldn't be a training school for young actors.

Badly written as well. So many of the actions were not realistic. I know these things are 'genre blind' but still, no-one would do some of the things they did. A 50 year old overweight woman climbing up a tower to electrocute and alien machine? Really?

The dialogue was poor as well. Like when the young guy pushed the alien off the crane and the Doctor said to him 'you had no right to do that'? What an odd thing to say, the alien was trying to kidnap and eventually kill him, he had every right to defend himself. It made no sense. I had to watch that scene again as I couldn't believe she said it.

The CGI and outfits just looked cheap and comical as well.

They really needed to knock this opening out of the park and dazzle us but I think they have just reinforced many fan's fears of where this was going.

Cheap looking, poor dialogue and script, poor quality acting, tone all wrong.

If you look at something like Stranger Things, which shows you what you can do with a TV series with these type of themes, then this opening just looked like a low budget kids tv show from the 1980's (and not one of the good ones).

The trailer for the upcoming episodes didn't look promising either.

5/10.

tkl7 and Purple Jim like this.
  8. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

I’m loving it, but as it was centred around my city I guess my views aren’t objective. A night shot of my beloved Bramall Lane, the new sonic screwdriver partially made from Sheffield steel? Woo-hoo!! You go girl!

beccabear67 and alan967tiger like this.
  9. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yeah, that stood out for me too. I was literally saying "Huh? WTF?".

Had a similar reaction when she manufactured a piece of high tech electronics, including power supply - the sonic screwdriver - by essentially melting a bunch of cutlery. Never mind that she was still suffering from post-change memory loss/disorientation...

The post regeneration eps are often a bit ditzy, so I'm not going to be too harsh on the new Doc's performance. I think Jodie will do fine once she gets a few eps under her belt.

10. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

I thought she said that He had know right to do that, not “you”. But even so, that line is very much in keeping with the way the doctor works for at least as far back as the Christmas Invasion. He abhors physical violence and prefers to let people destory themselves, but in this regard The Doctor has always been a bit of a hypocrite.

As far as calling it a kid’s show goes, I think you saw a different show than I did. It felt a lot darker to me, more in keeping with the show runner’s history with Torchwood (minus the sex and gore) and it’s like it has a higher budget than it has had in years.

adriatikfan and andybeau like this.
  11. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I don't think she was melding cutlery, I think she was actually making cutlery.

12. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I didn't think the episode was too bad, except for the villain being kind of a rip from Predator. Having it constantly interrupted by the Comic Con celebration made it irritating to watch, though. Unfortunately, something's gone off whack with our TIVO and it doesn't get BBC America or several other channels. The cable company thinks it's the card. Regardless, we had to watch in real time. Oh, the horror.

13. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

I'm going to do the same thing. I haven't watched much of her first episode but I liked what I saw so far. It usually takes me a few stories to warm to a new Doctor (it wasn't until "Robot Of Sherwood" that started to enjoy The Twelfth Doctor).

14. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Am I the only one who saw Jodie Wittacker in Attack The Block and knew that she could be both an action hero and the moral center of a story?

15. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

For the last two seasons I have bought a subscription to the series on Amazon. It’s $18 and you have to wait until the next day, but it is worth it just to avoid the annoying commercial breaks that are simply not meant to be there. They don’t have them on the BBC.

16. kinkling

kinkling Forum Resident

No, but watching her, Tennant, and Colman in Broadchurch I thought Colman would have been the more natural Dr. Who.

17. Michael Rose

Michael Rose Forum Resident

She's a great actor. I am probably most familiar with her work on Broadchurch. I was pleased with her first at bat last night. Recalling the 1st episodes of the 11th and 12 Dr.s; I'm confident she will make the 13th her own. Im also sure the show will shed a companion or two along the way. Overall, as good of start as any of the other Dr's since 9.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  18. I disagree and agree at the same time. While the series hasn't been consistently great, there have been moments of and even seasons that have been pretty terrific. Let's not forget that there were some pretty dire episodes post Tom Baker before the reboot as well. The first season had some really good episodes (of the reboot) followed by some really bad ones and vice versa. It was very uneven but CE was a great doctor as far as I'm concerned. I'm a fan of David Tennant's doctor as well (not always the writing for him). Is there a shift in tone, etc.? Sure. This isn't the 60's or 70's or 80's "Doctor Who".

I'm looking forward to Jodi's portrayal She has been terrific in some of the other shows I've seen her in. I enjoyed the first episode although there were some flaws.

19. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I agree and I think I've said several time before that Chris E was my favorite nuWho doctor (and I really loved Rose).
    Here we part ways. I found him to be insufferable, always mumbling, fast-talking through explanations (hoping no one would notice the nonsense), overacting with confected enthusiasm and exaggerated facial expressions....shudder!

20. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Watched the new episode this evening. I thought it was a good story and overall I did enjoy it. I thought Jodie Wittacker did a good job as the doctor, but, I have to say, I'm not too thrilled about the style of doctor they are going with. I'm kind of tired of the cooky version. I'll stick with it though. Maybe they'll tone it down a bit later on.

21. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

Tip o' the hat to the researchers. The grandma did say "summat" once ("something") and "ont'train" ("on the train"). Clear attempts at the Sheffield dialect made. Full marks for authenticity.

22. millbend

millbend Forum Resident

The power supply (glowing orange crystal) and probably some other internal components were taken from the alien pod. She just melted the spoons to create the shell.

But in any case, have we forgotten Pertwee cobbling together this little beauty from mundane objects found around a room in a matter of minutes in The Time Monster? Never underestimate the power of cutlery in a Time Lord's hands!

:tiphat:

andybeau likes this.
  23. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

I'm surprised someone said they have got a big budget for this as it just looked so cheap. Always a bad sign when they film in a forest or somewhere deserted. Can't afford a daytime shoot in a city and have no money for CGI it seemed. The alien looked like a bad cosplay.

The thing is even if you don't have much of a budget, and you may have to film at night or in a forest, and you may not be able to afford decent talent so you have to hire the likes of Bradley Walsh, then the one thing that is almost free and easy to do, as it's one person sat at a computer, is to write a decent script - a plot that makes sense and decent dialogue. There is no reason to scrimp on this.

Clearly though it is really poorly written. The dialogue is unrealistic and the plot was unbelievable. It's like some young lad has a Youtube channel and he finds a weird (possibly alien) thing in the forest. He takes out his phone and what would he do? He would starting filming it to upload to his channel, or contact some friends. But they have him phone the police and not even photograph it? Dumb. It went on like that the whole episode. How did that guy find the capsule and take it to his lock-up? How did he transport it. Why did the alien need that ship when he had the teleport device?

It was like it was written by someone who had never seen any sci-fi material and wasn't even shown to an editor (who would have thrown it back).

We are in the golden age of tv now with the likes of Game of Thrones, Stranger Things, Fargo, The Walking Dead (when it's good) etc. Cheap looking and badly written Dr Who is no longer acceptable. They need to step up or let the thing die.

24. Isaac K.

Isaac K. Forum Resident

I’m not sure what the point is in writing two very long posts, the second covering the same ground as the first. We got it the first time: You didn’t like it. You know, when it got to the point in the Walking Dead in Season 6 when I couldn’t stand it any more do you know what I did? I stopped watching. Pretty crazy, eh? I wish more people would have the same sense instead of always insisting that the shows they don’t like anymore should just die. It would be a far more productive use of your time on Earth finding something else to watch than stewing over it. Because like it or not, Doctor Who is NOT going to change in the way that you want it to. It just is never going to happen.

swedgin, andybeau and marmalade166 like this.
  25. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

So, same as usual? It's been the same since the revival. The things that make some episodes stand out is almost never the scifi element (sadly), but an emotional connection between the characters. Granted, there wasn't much of that evident in the 1st ep either, but you need some time to become acquainted with new characters after a reboot.

eddiel likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.