Paul McCartney - Egypt Station (#1 album in US) Appreciation Thread 2.0 - New and Improved

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dr. Pepper, Sep 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Oh awesome! I didnt know that - thats cool. :)

2. While I’m rooting for a great Macca-Emma Stone video, experience with Paul videos has me being a bit cautious.

In the meantime, I reccomend playing the great video below , featuring Ms. Stone, just turn it’s sound down and play the songs of your choice from Egypt Station over it!

Who Cares and warewolf95 like this.
  3. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

I turned down the sound and said rude things ... ;)

4. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

It looks like the Egypt Station discussion finally starts to fade away
    It s been a long and winfing way-with the very, very long wait, all the unearthing and finally the release
    It seems that -even with the long waiting bound fot disapointnent-the quality of Egypt Station was a surprise
    And it still hold up very well
    It s been a great McCartney monent
    :)

5. streetlegal

streetlegal Forum Resident

So you want more of my ramblings? :) I can oblige . . .

theMess likes this.
  6. streetlegal

streetlegal Forum Resident

More randomish ramblings and flights of fancy:
    • Worth repeating that “Dominoes” is kind of “perfect” in the way it all comes together, so cohesively—words, vocal, harmonies, melody, sound, length.
    • Even the tumbling, repetitive chords (that feel they could keep on going) in the break perfectly echo the theme of the song—falling in line, one after the other.
    • “Despite Repeated Warnings”: Musically, perhaps I expect something a little more full-bodied and gutsy—a little more oomph—befitting an “epic.” But this is a story-song that warrants attention to the lyrics—as the story unfolds the music makes a lot more sense, growing in grandeur with repeated listenings.
    • The vocal is pretty lonely at the start, and the engineer is equally alone and ineffective at giving warning (that’s why the captain won’t be listening). By the time we get to the second bridge, “what can we do?” the backing begins to echo the line, growing in support—slowly but surely voices come together in protest; “what can we do?” transitions to “yes we can do it” to the confident “it’s the will of the people,” with a certain amount of chaos and cacophony in-between as befits a mutiny (the outro harmonies put me in mind of Supertramp).
    • Not to harp on, but the “Planet,” “Plan It,” “Janet,” is a felicitous little rhyme, combining the global (“Planet”) and a key album theme (“Plan It”) with the individual, the personal. “Back in Brazil” is lovely for the same reason. It presents the macro theme of the album and paints it within the canvas of the micro, an everyman/woman, and a personal vignette.

theMess, PhoffiFozz, mrjinks and 8 others like this.
  7. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Keep em coming
    :)

theMess and planckera like this.
  8. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Ok
    A month after the release I still honestly thing Egypt Station is one of Pauls most satisfactory and condistent album ever
    Comparisons with Ram, Band on the Run or other past glories are understandable-ecspecially given the seventies, Wingsy vibes on many tracks
    But still-it s a lifetime between the early classics and Egypt Station that also shows
    One of the great things is that Egypt Station sort of runs full circle. Many rewiews and opinions compare it more with Wings or early solo-works than the Beatles. A very good thing if one like me feel Pauls post-Beatles deserves more attention than it normally gets
    Don t have any real favorites on the album since all songs ranks from good to great

9. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

You have no favourites?
    I disliked Come Onto Me but I love the "Yes I Will" bit at the end now.:D
    I still think the album drags in the middle and Who Cares & Back In Brazil still suck but overall I really like the album. It has an old fashioned vibe which somehow elevates it from 3/5 to 4/5 for me.

10. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

I like the album as a whole and the favorites have changed. Guess I don t know, Happy with you and Dominoes are favorites. But also Despite repeated warnings or Back in Brazil
    Or.....
    No I can t really pick favorites here

flsteve565 and kevintee like this.
  11. Prudence1964

Prudence1964 Forum Resident

My favorites are I Don't know, Happy With You, Confidante, Dominoes, Do it Now, Ceasar Rock, and Hunt You DOwn, etc..

Next tier are People want Peace, Despite Repeated Warnings, Back in Brazil

Lower tier is come on to Me, Who Cares, Fuh You, and Hand in Hand

But, I like the lower tier too. No skippers.

12. ilhuicamiztli

ilhuicamiztli Forum Resident

After about a month, i found that i’ve listened to ES more that any other of his post 2000 albums. One possible exception is Chaos & Creation which still ranks on top on my list of McCartney’s recent output (of course “recent” actually means 15-20 years).

I do skip Fuh You every single time even if i’m not intending to - it just stands out as a much inferior track compared with everything else. Even a couple of other weak tracks always get played (e.g. Happy With You, Confidante, People Want Peace, which i find boring but innofensive and work well with the rest in the album). Usually it is rare for me to skip tracks from an otherwise good album.

All the other tracks, to me, range from very good to outstanding

Who Cares and Zeki like this.
  13. JRSIV

JRSIV JRSIV Music Ltd.

Very interesting comparison based on emotional/heart first vs critical/brain first criteria. As for @Dr. Pepper ‘s note on McCartney’s late career renaissance beginning in 2005 instead of 1997 I can totally see where that’s coming from. For me, however, the quality and definite maturity of Flaming Pie is so profound I really see it as the take off point of this brilliant run of albums he’s done.

For me Driving Rain is the odd man out for sure (I tried to explain it in my career retrospective review in the other “Paul’s career overview” thread), but I can objectively see that my view of it (which I admit was totally tempered by huge expectations) isn’t the only one and several contemporary reviews of the album (Rolling Stone gave 4 stars, etc.) and many fans are really fond of it. For that reason I don’t see his string of quality albums being broken by Driving Rain. While not as good as the other renaissance albums it is better than many of his earlier works by far.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
    theMess, Zeki and Ringo Hendrix like this.
  14. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry? Thread Starter

Here is something I would be interested in, rate all of Paul's post Wings albums.

For me:

Egypt Station
    New
    Chaos
    Tug of War
    Complete Kisses
    Run Devil Run
    MAF
    Flaming Pie
    Press To Play
    Flowers In The Dirt
    Pipes of Peace
    EA
    McCartney II
    Choba
    Of The Ground
    Driving Rain
    Broad Street

flsteve565 likes this.
  15. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

16. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

But "Despite Repeated Warnings" has a skipper... or is it "captain":

[​IMG]

;)

17. ilhuicamiztli

Here's mine, but actual rankings would probably vary slightly if i had to write the list again tomorrow (especially tier 2). Instead, i classify them in tiers:

Tier 1 (i've played them frequently since release)
    Chaos & Creation
    Egypt Station

Tier 1.5 (i really really appreciate and play these two, but not quite T1)
    Electric Arguments
    Complete Kisses

Tier 2 (i find all these albums more or less equally good and play them often)
    New
    Tug of War
    Flaming Pie
    Flowers in the Dirt
    Off the Ground
    Run Devil Run
    Memory Almost Full

Tier 3 (still get played but nowhere near as often)
    Driving Rain
    McCartney II
    CHOBA B CCCP

Tier 4 (can't remember the last time i played these three)
    Press to Play
    Pipes of Peace
    Broad Street

Dr. Pepper likes this.
  18. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

I think this is being done on the solo McCartney thread. (I get this feeling we'll be back to dueling threads with double posts.)

• [​IMG]

• “OK, we agree the Captain’s Crazy - but which of us is Janet?”

19. FKA002

FKA002 Forum Resident

Seems like they're teasing something in Paul's Instagram's story
    EDIT: On Twitter as well

paulmccartneyistheman likes this.
  20. RobRoyF

RobRoyF Forum Resident

I like the album OK, maybe it will grow on me. I have listened to it about 3 times and enjoy roughty half the tracks. I decided to buy the Target CD version with the 2 extra tracks.

angelees likes this.
  21. Dr. Pepper

Have we done this with the album tracks?

Tier 1 - stone cold classics
    "Hunt You Down/Naked/C-Link" 6:22
    "Dominoes" 5:02
    "People Want Peace" 2:59
    "Back in Brazil" 3:21 - best guity pleasure since Obla or Silly Love Songs

Tier 2 - still ridiculously awesome
    "I Don't Know" 4:27
    "Who Cares" 3:13
    "Caesar Rock" 3:29
    "Despite Repeated Warnings" 6:58

Tier 3 - great songs
    "Hand in Hand" 2:35
    "Get Started" 3:41
    "Confidante" 3:04
    "Do It Now" 3:17

Tier 4 - not my faves, but still wonderful in their own way
    "Come On to Me" 4:11
    "Happy with You" 3:34

Tier 5 - still love these!
    "Nothing for Free" 3:15
    "Fuh You" 3:23

Tierless - yes, Love these too!
    "Opening Station" 0:42
    "Station II" 0:46

The Band and Bemagnus like this.
  22. ilhuicamiztli

Tier 1
    I Don't Know
    Hand in Hand
    Dominoes
    Despite Repeated Warnings
    Hunt You Down/Naked/C-Link

Tier 2
    Come On to Me
    Who Cares
    Back in Brazil
    Do It Now
    Caesar Rock

Tier 3
    Happy With You
    Confidante
    People Want Peace

Tier 4
    Fuh You

23. Dr. Pepper

Interesting @Glenn Christense life size Mary Ann doll has that same facial expression!

24. planckera

planckera I Hate Hate

The five years wait, the zillions of posts spread over countless threads for this album, and it was all worth it just for the above post.

:yikes::laughup::biglaugh:

;)

ausgraeme, theMess, mrjinks and 5 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.