The most boring concert you've ever been to?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Captain Keefheart, Oct 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Captain Keefheart

Captain Keefheart Forum Resident Thread Starter

Bob Dylan for me, Newcastle Arena, 2004. Tedious beyond belief and a real sense of just going through the motions. One of the only gigs I've ever left early, which was a shame as I had been really looking forward to it.

2. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Pink Floyd in a Lyon football stadium in the 80s (luckily the tickets had been free).

Licorice pizza and footlooseman like this.
  3. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

Same here - Bob Dylan again, but in 2010.

No Bull likes this.
  4. cungar

cungar Forum Resident

The Corrs, Wiltern Theater

Pizza and BLUESJAZZMAN like this.
  5. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Lou Reed, RAH, 2000: efficient performance but zero audience involvement. Fortunately, tickets were comps.

BrutandCharisma likes this.
  6. Probably Jesu, about a decade back. Musically it was great, but they stuck so close to the album arrangements that they could've been miming for all I knew, and they were so stock-still under pale blue lightning that only the movements of the drummer proved that they didn't just stick a trio of mannequins up there. They were opening for Pelican, who by contrast were great.

7. klockwerk

klockwerk Forum Resident

Steve Miller, Bowling Green University in Ohio, maybe 1975. I believe he played most of the tunes solo. Less said the better.

No Bull and Northwind like this.
  8. jupiter8

jupiter8 Senior Member

Simon & Garfunkel reunion tour, Boulder, sometime in mid-80s. First concert I ever went to where everyone was sitting down and you didn't smell weed. Of course, now that's the only kind of concert I want to go to!

9. William Barty

William Barty Forum Resident

Dylan & the Dead. Giants Stadium 1987. 4th row from the back on the top tier of the stadium.

Seemed like a good idea at the time (the concert, not the seats).

10. Scooter59

Scooter59 Forum Resident

Neil Young & Crazy Horse, the Greendale Tour. I really tried......but it just didn't work for me.

11. MarcS

MarcS Forum Resident

I was there; the Dead alone were great; Dylan not so much.

agaraffa, phillyal1, wilejoe and 6 others like this.
  12. zen

zen Senior Member

Without giving away the name.....
    it was a famous synth-pop band (formed in 1980) in a packed venue (2005)...however, I didn't know any of their material.

Reggie Sears and WillieDaPimp like this.
  13. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

I'll get hanged on this forum...

Paul McCartney, 2005. This was the second time I saw Paul (first time in 2002, and that was a good show). I believe it was a combination of the audience and the band. There was not one ounce of energy in that arena. The audience was dead and lackluster, with barely the energy to clap at the ends of the songs. Paul just did his stock Paul thing. Nothing felt alive or interesting. I was disappointed and wouldn't see him again.

I think I needed more than just the awe of "I'm breathing the same air as a Beatle" to get me going. Maybe it was an off night. :hide:

Lucretius, Davmoco, Bossfan and 16 others like this.
  14. MarcS

MarcS Forum Resident

Tough call; Either Elton John at Shea Stadium in 1993, Quicksilver Messenger Service at the Bottom Line in 2000 or Drivin n Cryin at the Limelight in about 1992 (even Peter Buck looked bored)

Fullbug likes this.
  15. The Killer

The Killer Dung Heap Rooster

Ryan Adams, right up his own jacksie, insufferable oafishness beyond belief...

16. Clucking

Clucking Elixir of Life

Sadly, it was Bob Weir at the Celebrity Theater in Phoenix maybe 3 years back. We left about 5 songs in.

17. Gagnedouze

Gagnedouze Forum Resident

Blink 182. One of the last shows they ever did before their first break/hiatus. Absolutely no chemistry on stage and showed in the material they played.

18. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I've fallen asleep at a couple of concerts, including Son Volt, which was particularly memorable, as it was a standing room only show. Not sure how I didn't fall over.

In Son Volt's defense, I'd really been burning the candle at both ends prior to the show, and would probably have zonked for any band playing at less than 110 decibels.

19. egebamyasi

egebamyasi Forum Resident

Elvis Costello & The Confederates - It just went on and on until I left.
    The Attractions show the next night rocked.

20. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

A tie between Luscious Jackson and Fatboy Slim (separate shows) at Boston’s Avalon. Dull & lifeless, left early from both.

21. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

1996, saw ELP open for exactly one hour, as most in the audience appeared to be there for, and then it was Jethro Dull.

22. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

Peter Gabriel-So. Will get slammed for this but besides from some Genesis cuts, pretty monotonous.

RangerXT, somnar and No Bull like this.
  23. Massive Attack despite the fact . that my good friend Horace Andy was on fire

24. joepepitone

joepepitone Forum Resident

Based on other similar threads, this will be a win for Dylan. That's my vote too.

25. Nomadicarchivist

Nomadicarchivist Forum Resident

The Eagles. Their final tour. No Don Felder and the insistence upon showing interview clips before the songs in the first half of the show killed any chance of sustained momentum..

All of that, the high ticket prices and knowing how badly Henley and Frey treated Felder over the last decade and it was hard to enjoy what was a mellow occasion to begin with..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.