New Tom Petty/Heartbreakers Compilation: "The Best of Everything"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by McCool, Oct 5, 2018.

1. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

I've read every post and I haven't read one where anyone expressed disappointment in this being released, but the nature of its content, what is here and what isn't. You sound like someone who skimmed a few posts and misunderstood the context in which they were written.

ARK likes this.
  2. And you'd be wrong. I've followed the thread since it was started. I see multiple posts with people trying to figure out why they would release 2 different boxes in the same time frame. Maybe it was you who skimmed the posts....

3. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

No, been following since the first post. The disappointment comes from the two new unreleased tracks that were omitted from the box set last week. I haven't seen too many complaints about the market becoming oversaturated with Tom Petty product, the more the better.

Hep Alien likes this.
  4. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

I think if this was announced the same time as An American Treasure, we would have all been happy. Ah well.

5. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

Might of bought it but one of my fav petty songs "its good to be king" is missing.:o

6. markp

markp I am always thinking about Jazz.

Best of Everything + American Treasure will make two nice vinyl sets to join my Live Anthology vinyl set.

I pre-ordered the clear vinyl version of Best of Everything. Sitting out the cd version.

Peja11 likes this.
  7. onm3rcur7

onm3rcur7 Forum Resident

Do you guys reckon the limited clear vinyl editions will sell out soon and, what is worse.... will be sold by twice the original price on ebay?

8. onm3rcur7

onm3rcur7 Forum Resident

Hey Ryan, can you say anything more about the vinyl edition of this collection? Have you guys used original tapes? Are we going to enjoy plenty of dynamic range and soundstage?

Where are the standard and deluxe editions being pressed?

Thanks !

9. Rainy Taxi

Rainy Taxi The Art of Almost

As an avowed ultra-mega-Petty fan, this is an easy pass for me. But for a casual fan, this could be considered the definitive greatest hits. Including two "new" tracks is a marketing eye-roller, especially when hits as strong as Petty's could stand on their own without a gimmick, but whatever.

I do however hate that the tracks aren't in chronological order! The mix-tape approach worked for the Live Anthology, but I really think a greatest hits package like this is much better in chronological order, allowing you to see the progression of the band and their sound over time. If I were buying this, that would be a huge turn off for me. It literally ruins the whole thing, IMO. Putting the songs in order tells a story. The mix-tape style is much less powerful for a release like this.

Missing tracks: No excuse to leave off "A Woman in Love," "It's Good to Be King" and "Swingin'" for sure. "Change of Heart," "Rebels," "Free Girl Now," "Have Love Will Travel," "Good Enough" and "U Get Me High" could all have cases to make it too, but hard to fit everything on two discs. You could totally make some room, as there are tracks here that don't need to be. For example, it's weird to have three tracks from Mudcrutch 2, when there's only one each from the three albums that proceeded it.

All that said, I'm really looking forward to "For Real"!

10. Yes they will sell out soon (if not already). Hopefully they #'d the boxes. And yes they will be A LOT more on the secondary market. It's the best of both worlds, great music with a limited collectible style release.

11. N.T.Wrong

N.T.Wrong Forum Resident

I don’t think many people on this forum will agree with you there.

I get your point though. Personally, I rarely enjoy the unreleased tracks added to CDs after the artist has ceased recording (or died). Most of them are underwhelming at best.

But Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers were such skilled professionals: craftsmen. They could do a knock-off performance for their own amusement — like Gator On the Lawn from Playback — and still deliver something absolutely delightful. I’m glad we’re getting “new” material from Petty’s vaults because a lot of it is of a very high caliber, equal to the official releases — sometimes even better.

p.s. Petty himself chose the material on Playback, and thus he approved of releasing quite a lot of material from the Heartbreakers’ vaults.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
    ARK, Mooserfan, FJFP and 1 other person like this.
  12. Vinyl Richie

Vinyl Richie Forum Resident

No offense meant, but this sounds like a classic flipper question.

DHamilton likes this.
  13. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Do we know who is responsible for compiling these sets? Tom's family/estate? The record company? The other Heartbreakers? That is an important aspect to consider.

BeatleJWOL and supermd like this.
  14. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

Swingin’ is a great tune. One of his best, actually, and a great performance from the band. Maybe it’s Tom’s Hey Bulldog...

15. ferrari

ferrari Forum Resident

That's the first thing I thought of when I saw this. I just love when the listing says "remastered", with no notation as to who, how, what, where, when... sometimes I'll take a chance on a single disc, but not on a multidisc box. I was just disappointed the other day with the Melloncamp greatest hits compilation first time on vinyl - my original vinyls just blow it away. This smells of a money grabbing stunt. I'll stick with my preorder of American Treasure for now - if they want to release something worthwhile, bring on Wildflowers - all the rest...

16. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Yes...but Neil
    Is. ;)

17. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Someone should just go ahead and name their compilation...

Money Grab (With Bonus Tracks)

May be unscrupulous but at least its honest in most cases.

Audiowannabee and sewerdog like this.
  18. jalexander

jalexander Forum Resident

This is about a dead star but it does the job:
    At the record company meeting
    On their hands - a dead star
    And oh, the plans they weave
    And oh, the sickening greed
    At the record company party
    On their hands - a dead star
    The sycophantic slags all say :
    "I knew him first, and I knew him well"
    Re-issue! Re-package! Re-package!
    Re-evaluate the songs
    Double-pack with a photograph
    Extra track (and a tacky badge)

That said, as someone who revisits the Greatest Hits package more than the album, this is a great set in my opinion:
    1) All the oldies
    2) The best upbeat songs from his last great album (Wildflowers)
    3) Highlights of his later era (Walls, Top of the World)
    4) I like that it’s not chronological. Looks like it has decent flow, especially those opening three songs.

Hep Alien and FJFP like this.
  19. Mooserfan

Mooserfan Forum Resident

Dudes, for some of you this is a classic example of looking the proverbial gift horse in the mouth...after the American Treasure box set, and with more promised relatively soon, are we seriously going to complain about two unreleased tracks? Wait to see if you can download them separately before you get offended. You never know, maybe somebody simply thought the two were a bonus for completists rather than them having nefarious motives. In fact, based on the box, more sets to come, and the surprising openness in communication we’ve seen from Tom’s camp, I’d say all evidence is to the contrary.

20. btltez

btltez Forum Resident

For me, when I saw the track sequences on the four LP sides, it pushed me into buying it. I think the songs in chronological order would have been boring and would have made me think " I have all the vinyl why bother?" but picturing how the tracks in this order would sound and make great listening together made me realize how cool putting this collection on will be. And I went for the clear vinyl as there are only 1000 being pressed and though I haven't looked, they are probably gone already, or close to it.

500Homeruns likes this.
  21. AKA

AKA Senior Member

Solid tracklist. I like how the latter-day stuff is sandwiched between the hits. The cover art is underwhelming, though.

22. Rainy Taxi

Rainy Taxi The Art of Almost

Upon relistening to this a few times today, I will take this one step further and hypothesize that they took not the Southern Accents take but the American Treasure take and spliced in the Hard Promises second verse.

23. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

As opposed to An American Treasure? ;)

AKA likes this.
  24. onm3rcur7

onm3rcur7 Forum Resident

What does flipper mean?
    Spanish speaking guy here...

25. Veggie Boy

Veggie Boy still trudgin'

A "flipper" is a person who purchases something with the sole intent of reselling the item for a profit.