Paul McCartney - Egypt Station (#1 album in US) Appreciation Thread 2.0 - New and Improved

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dr. Pepper, Sep 19, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. planckera

planckera I Hate Hate

Here's an attempt! If I find time later I can try to make it better, but for now:

[​IMG]

2. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Can you add that NEW overlay onto each of Paul's album covers?
    No rush though.... ;)

3. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry? Thread Starter

Maybe over the White Album would look nice. Can't imagine what it would look like.

theMess, Ringo Hendrix and planckera like this.
  4. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

5. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

6. FKA002

FKA002 Forum Resident

theMess, planckera and Who Cares like this.
  7. planckera

planckera I Hate Hate

Yikes, this is turning into a full blown orgy!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2019
  8. Arnold Grove

9. omikron

omikron Avid contributor to Paul McCartney's bank account

No rush or no Rushes?

planckera and Arnold Grove like this.
  10. Arnold Grove

More Rushes...

[​IMG] ;)

omikron likes this.
  11. JamesD1957

JamesD1957 Forum Resident

My list is much shorter because I really don't have the interest in listening to some of those again....nothing against Paul, I just don't care for 'em.

Tug of War
    Flaming Pie
    Egypt Station
    New
    Chaos and Creation
    Flowers In the Dirt

That's it for me.

Ringo Hendrix and omikron like this.
  12. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

That's because some people got lost with all of the thread closures and multiple threads.:D

Bemagnus likes this.
  13. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

Ok, I'm gonna admit, I LOVE that muzak in the security guard teaser video. Sounds too familiar for me. I wouldn't mind listening to a full three minutes of just that.

theMess and CDC like this.
  14. I found myself thinking of the same project, but I don’t have your patience. LOL.

What I have started , was combining Egypt with NEW - the medium -to -fast tracks - for driving and exercise.
    Didn’t give a thought to sequencing - but it works!

15. As of today:

A+ Level- Dominoes, I Don’t Know

A- Level- Get Started, Hunt/Naked/Link, Caesar Rock, Confidante’, Who Cares?

B- DRW, Come On To Me, Happy With You, Opening Station1-2, Nothing For Free

C- Do It Now, Hand In Hand, People Want Peace

D- Fuh You, Back In Brazil

flsteve565 likes this.
  16. Regarding the Come On To Me clips, after several more similar scenarios, it concludes with a. Beatleistic ending:

Finally one of the male subjects says , excitedly with expectations: “Hello!”
    The female receiving the greetings, exclaims: “Goodbye!”

• [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018

17. The Professor claims he IS the Engineer!

• [​IMG]

18. susyredstripe

susyredstripe Forum Resident

Another Rush...
    [​IMG]

19. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

theMess, mikecarrera and angelees like this.
  20. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

One way I started thinking about Egypt Station today is, "If I were to make a list of the 50 best post-Beatle McCartney songs (something I haven't actually done), how many from this album would make it?" Right now I'd say 4 for sure -- Do It Now, Confidante, Hand in Hand, Dominoes -- with I Don't Know just on the cusp. That's about equal to Flaming Pie in my book, from which I'd choose Little Willow, Somedays, Calico Skies and Young Boy, with The World Tonight as a maybe. The difference is that Flaming Pie has one real clunker, Really Love You, and a couple pretty forgettable tracks. There's nothing on ES that to my ears isn't at least decent, though a couple tunes aren't quite my cup of tea.

And one that I'm not quite ready to call a classic but that sure is interesting is Naked. What an eerie, unsettling, weird little song that is! It's just not quite like anything you'd expect from Paul McCartney, and yet there it is.

theMess, angelees, The Band and 5 others like this.
  21. Ringo Hendrix

Ringo Hendrix Resident Pest

With all due respect to your opinions...Honestly, is Driving Rain that bad for so many people?

I can't fathom the dislike for it! Honestly, it's some really nice rock music and quite different from McCartney's other material. Song-wise it doesn't seem the kind of music that would cause dislike from McCartney fans. Press to Play seems more like that to me even though I like it. So I can fathom the dislike for Press. But Driving Rain not so much.

maybe not one of his top tier efforts of course but I still can't comprehend how some of you think so poorly of it.

Sure, it's a bit long, but still...

I would encourage those who dismissed it quickly and haven't really listened to it since.... or those who simply haven't listened to it in quite some time to give it another listen. Maybe you won't care for it still, and that's fine. It's not my absolute favorite of his, but the hate for it just makes no sense to me.

It got good reviews upon release I just don't understand the disconnect.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
  22. CokeMachine

CokeMachine Forum Resident

Well I didn't think I'd played the new album all that much - yet on the way home with the kids last night and Despite Repeated Warnings comes on - both kids (5 and 10) recite the words perfectly throughout the entire song.

I like to think I'm training them - but it really made my day!

theMess, jammincrowe, JDeanB and 4 others like this.
  23. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Id rather enjoyed DR when it was new but find myself rarely listen to it nowadays. When I do there defintively are some good songs but also more than usual not so good
    It seems a bit rushed and I honestly feel it s an album Oaul didn t devote himself in all that much.

Shak Cohen likes this.
  24. Prudence1964

Prudence1964 Forum Resident

There's nothing on Driving Rain that stands out to me. One song I despise (Freedom) but none that I seek out to listen to. Wild Life is pretty bad, but I'll still pop it in to pick out 2 or 3 songs.

25. Arnold Grove

CDC likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.