Pink Floyd Animals in 5.1 Speculation, Now Pricing & Shipping thread starting Page 248

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rontoon, Apr 16, 2018.

1. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

Open air? So they weren't soundboard recordings?

RangerXT likes this.
  2. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac Thread Starter

I have reason to believe they were not.

RangerXT and drum_cas like this.
  3. RickA

RickA Love you forever Luke, we will be together again

Wow, how can they be so short-sided and not recorded it from the board. :confused:

4. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

It is (too) easy to say in hindsight if some is shortsighted.

Not that i wouldn’t love a good In The Flesh tour recording mind you.

5. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

Wow, that's a pretty big revelation.

RangerXT, Clucking and oneslip17 like this.
  6. rontoon

I've brought it up before, earlier this summer.

7. rontoon

FYI, posted on 9/5

They could actually be looking for material to include in the release. I guess the Nak recordings may have all been open air recordings and not from the soundboard. In any case, none of these live recordings may be deemed worthy of release. Hopefully they'll pay attention to the Animals work-in-progress tracks I sent them.

Pink Floyd - Animals in 5.1 (news from Roger Waters himself)

8. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I would be positively surprised if Animals gets an Immersion-like re-release. But it looks like there's possibility of a 2 or 3 disc option* only.
    *2 CDs (album remixed, rough studio mixes) and 1 Blu-ray/DVD (all the audio content in hi-res, and maybe the album photo shoot on video)

RangerXT and mestreech like this.
  9. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

So is there a box coming? I missed that comp[letely. But that would be great news.

RangerXT and mark winstanley like this.
  10. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

What we know is a remix was made. Surround certainly. Maybe a stereo remix is also there (would be great).
    Not sure if it even will be a box. Personally I'd like to have it packaged like the Endless River deluxe set btw.

11. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

thanks Andrew

andrewskyDE likes this.
  12. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Nah. They can go without eating for 5 days at a time. Just have to keep pumping water in em until they need to do homework and just make em a wonder bread sandwhich Oatmeal is real cheap too, you can have cold oatmeal in water and microwave it for a minute. You dont even need milk ;)

DementedAvenger, Bonddm and privit1 like this.
  13. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Btw, new artwork will be there. Waters mentioned both the 5.1 remix and the artwork in a radio interview a while ago.

14. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

First time posted here? I don't read the QQ Forum.

15. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

See post # 585.

Lownote30 likes this.
  16. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

I’m in! :goodie::goodie::goodie:

17. rontoon

I don't remember, it's sometimes hard keeping track between threads on QQ and here (and AFG on occasion). After reading Nick's recent interview I couldn't figure out why they would still be looking for live recordings when they had all (or most) of the ones made with the Nak. IIRC, one or more may have been worked on at one point in time intended for this release but for one reason or another it was decided that they would not be used (this could have changed by now). Someone on this forum (or another) posted that the Nak recordings were from open air mics and not the soundboard as it was assumed for years. I followed up with an email to my usual source who wouldn't confirm or deny but said that what I proposed was likely the case.

18. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

I really wish James Guthrie could work his wizardry into the open-air recordings of, say, Montreal, so that it can be included in the box as an extra / lo-fi live recording. We had those in The Early Years box and the world didn't end because of that.

19. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

'Only Soundboards' was bad enough. This is soul-crushing, life-altering news. The negligence of these people to not record any of these shows! It's mind-boggling!

This is terrible, horrible news.

20. rontoon

I believe Andy usually works on the archival live recordings but ya never know.... :shh:
    And no reason to assume that the open air recordings are necessarily lo-fi.
    The open air recordings were a reference to what I strongly suspect were captured by the Naks. I'm not implying that there weren't any soundboard recordings from the tour... could be. But it's possible that they haven't found what they were looking for yet according to recent interviews with Nick. Maybe they'll include live recordings and maybe they'll just give up to hit a holiday release date on time. We should know one way or another soon enough.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
  21. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

Are open-air recordings really that unsalvagable? Of course, I’d prefer some nice soundboard recording but if that’s all there is, is it just a complete lost cause sonically? Where there no BBC or other radio recordings from this tour? Genuine questions here, I’m woefully ignorant of what’s “out there” for this tour.

22. The last "BBC" appearance was 1974 at Wembley. Audience recordings from the "In The Flesh" tour are pretty good. If the road crew set up mics and a nagra as Rontoon tells us, I would assume quality between the audience recordings and a soundboard.

23. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

I just want this thing to be revealed .... it's doing my head in! :)

24. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

They should make an Animals box that when you open it up it spits at you. LOL

25. :laugh:

PDK and ModernDayWarrior like this.