Can you live with your current speaker until you die?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by thomaskong, Oct 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thomaskong

thomaskong Forum Resident Thread Starter

Blind purchase could be hit or miss. Congratulation on the hit. I hope you keep it for your life.

rushed again likes this.
  2. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

The speakers I will die with arrived this morning, installed in the room I plan to die in.

Wait...I think I already died and went to heaven...

[​IMG]

3. DPM

DPM Senior Member

I see three large "woofers" on the floor.

4. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

I am fortunate enough to have obtained my 'dream speaker', the Totem Winds. I am done climbing up the ladder and could stay on this rung forever.

However, I can imagine downsizing my life, and large full-range speakers will be too much to lug about. Looking forward to auditioning audacious bookshelves...

timind likes this.
  5. Josquin des Prez

The third is a woofer only if an active vacuum cleaner is involved (which must be killed and ripped apart).

We adopted her from Humane Society last week. She never barks, but we think that might just be because she still has trauma from being surrendered to the HS. She is a rottie after all.

Noel Patterson, timind, DPM and 2 others like this.
  6. DocBrown

DocBrown Musical hermit of the frozen north

I have a set of inexpensive Focal standmounts that sound amazing in my small dedicated room. In the past year I upgraded my analog front end by more than $3000, and my speakers continue to bring a smile to my face. I don't feel a need for lots of bass or blow-out-the-windows volume, so perhaps this modest system is my endgame.

Both my grandfathers died at 48. My father made it to 80. Til I die could be a very long proposition (or not, of course)

timind and SandAndGlass like this.
  7. thomaskong

Congratulation on getting nice speakers. I fully understand that you are already in heaven.

mreeter and Josquin des Prez like this.
  8. samurai

samurai Step right up! See the glory, of the royal scam.

I probably could but I don't want to.

9. thomaskong

It is good to enjoy music in small dedicated room without the impulse for blow-out bass.

I hope you enjoy your speaker for your life.

My father died two years ago at the age of 87 years and 11 months.

He was a heavy smoker and he died of lung complication ( not cancer).

But I look forward to living past 90 since I do not smoke.:pineapple:

Kristofa likes this.
  10. Fitero

Fitero Well-Known Member

I've recently accepted that I now posses the last pair of speakers that I will ever have. That realization took some time to accept, but ultimately gives me a bit of peace as I am not always thinking about what I will get next. I listen to more music now than I did as a young man. How great is that?!

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
    Kristofa likes this.
  11. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Yes but I’ll buy more to go with them.

Kristofa likes this.
  12. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

LOVE this space...and those Dyn's. Just wow! Did you acquire them from Music for Pleasure?

Josquin des Prez likes this.
  13. Josquin des Prez

Yes, from MfP...I am a customer of theirs going on about 30 years.

mreeter likes this.
  14. mreeter

mreeter Forum Resident

I can see that they must certainly take care of their customers. Only been there once, a very knowledgeable crew! I will be back one day.

15. Josquin des Prez

I can't say enough good about them. I don't even consider anyone else, and they know how to do things the right way. And yes, they always take great care of me.

mreeter likes this.
  16. Mike-48

Mike-48 A shadow of my former self

Thank you, Guth! Much appreciated.

It's interesting how different systems can sound that please their owners greatly. As different as people.

17. thomaskong

After settling upon speaker, it is easier to focus on just music rather than sound.

Enjoy your system for your life.

Fitero likes this.
  18. thomaskong

Many people have to sell their big floorstand speaker when they move to small condominium or nursing home with deteriorating health.

Just in case, it may be good to have a nice bookself speaker.

19. Josquin des Prez

I just turned 60 and I bicycle on average 7000 miles/yr. (road, single-speed, gravel and single track). I can't guarantee my health will stay good but I'm doing everything I can to insure it. This year to celebrate my 60th birthday, I rode Copper Triangle (80 miles and 4 mountain pass climbs for a total 6300' elevation gain from Copper, CO to Leadville to Vail and back at 10,000+ elevation)....and I did it all on my single speed bicycle....no shift! :cool:

Anyway, the point of all that is I have every intention of listening to my big-ass floor standers all the way to the day I die. :D

But I do have a nice pair of Dynaudio Audience 52SE for my office system, just in case. :cry:

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
  20. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Acoustic treatment?

21. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

if anything i'll get a smaller speaker next. as my man cave inevitably wharfs into a teenage hangout space :shrug:

22. thomaskong

Acoustic treatment is put some bass trap or reflectors in listening room. It helps a lot to get clear sound out of speaker.

23. Josquin des Prez

My acoustic treatment is my room. My collection of some 3000+ LPs on shelves behind my speakers makes for the best diffuser (see photo in prior post of this thread). Similar for the thick wool rug in front of thr speakers. The speakers themselves are designed (i.e. Dynaudio DDC) to minimize ceiling and floor reflections using two tweteers at differnt xcover freqs and other xover black magic. I have one rolled up yoga mat as a bass trap in one exposed corner.

No damn fugly acoustic room treatments needed for my listening space. :cool:

SandAndGlass, ZenMango and mreeter like this.
  24. thomaskong

After turning 60, the most important thing is to keep healthy so that we can listen to music longer. :shtiphat:

25. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

My acoustic treatment is to forlornly give instructions to 3 small children not to move from their designated positions or remove their woollen coats in summer.

macster, Glmoneydawg and SandAndGlass like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.