SH Spotlight I'm asked stuff: Favorite mastering engineer, best BOSTON CD, best TRAVELING WILBURYS CD, etc..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Oct 3, 2018.

1. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

What do you think of the 2004 CD remasters that were flat transfers of the EQ'ed LP masters (a choice on their part to match the original vinyl)? These the ones to get?

2. JamesD1957

JamesD1957 Forum Resident

I spent a Saturday afternoon awhile back reading what seemed like 1000 pages devoted to the song "A Hard Day's Night". A lot of moaning about the remasters having some issue with the opening chord, and then there was a lot of discussion about tube vs. solid stage, warm vs. clinical, etc.... It just kept going, and it seemed like some tempers were flaring. My question to you...….Do you ever read any of those type of threads for entertainment purposes? Maybe a good head shake or two? Are there any threads (no member names need to be mentioned) that you've gotten a lot of sinister enjoyment out of? ;)

I know that you are an audiophile, but you seem to have a great deal of common sense when it comes to listening to music and deciding what you like or don't like. I find that in itself admirable.

3. danielbravo

danielbravo Senior Member

Wooo ... this is a luxury job (always dream of something like that, really). Life took me on other paths.
    This must have been a great experience, something you do not forget

4. 2trackmind

2trackmind Forum Resident

How often do you use a first pressing (LP or CD) copy of an album as a reference when working on a remastering project?

5. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Every time.

6. Steve Hoffman

Same price. Different people.

7. Steve Hoffman

I have no idea, I just have the LPs.

uzn007 likes this.
  8. Steve Hoffman

Well, **** ups like the opening chord of AHDN are just operator error, no excuse, really. So, I read a thread like that as far as I can, then it gets too frustrating. There are ways around damaged tapes, etc. but I don't understand why they are not used. So, no, those threads are not entertainment, more of a frustration to me. I can only read so much..

dav-here, vonwegen, Dave and 9 others like this.
  9. Steve Hoffman

It's hard to forget that, especially as I was so young. Burned into me brain..

dav-here, vonwegen, showtaper and 2 others like this.
  10. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

Why do Audiophile CD reissues cost so much more than a standard reissue?

dav-here, andrewskyDE and danielbravo like this.
  11. Steve Hoffman

Licensing costs.

ropiyas, dav-here, vonwegen and 5 others like this.
  12. tdavis0903

tdavis0903 Forum Resident

Steve, are you a music book reader? I especially enjoy books on classic rock that include some nuts and bolts on the recording and even mastering process. Richie Unteberger as an example goes there in his work.

I am waiting for Kenney Jones and Roger Daltrey book releases, should be interesting views on some great bands and these guys somewhat uncomfortable crossing of paths in The Who.

13. Sam

Sam Senior Member

I love to hear stories as to what great lengths you went to to find the actual master tape. If memory serves me, wasn't Jethro Tull's Aqualung master tape in Ian Anderson's barn?! Lol. Can you share some adventure stories on the craziest places actual tapes were found? And sadly, some tapes are still MIA like Steely Dan masters.

14. recklessczar

recklessczar Forum Resident

!?
    Is this photo correct? You are a LEFTY!!!!o_O

FashionBoy likes this.
  15. Disionity

Disionity Forum Resident

Recently graduated high school, and thinking about my future. I'd love to get into your field of work. Is there any advice you have with regards to breaking into this industry? Considering there's no field of study or degree that qualifies one for a job like this, does it really come down to being at the right place, at the right time, and knowing the right people?

16. steve_miller

steve_miller Forum Resident

Nice to see some fellow fans out there.
    Thought I was the only one...

g.z. likes this.
  17. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

Can't find a damn thing...
    The Attic - Jethro Tull

Steve Hoffman, Part 2

Derek Gee likes this.
  18. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Licensing costs are just one factor. The cost of the production itself - the graphic design, mastering time, etc. costs money, plus there are makeready costs involved in setting up the manufacturing of the cover and disc. A major label release with wide distribution and a large pressing run is able to absorb those costs a lot better than a limited edition pressing of a few thousand copies, hence a higher price tag for the consumer.

19. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

What's the best food for a mastering engineer? :cool:

20. The big clock gives it away; it's in the correct orientation.

Dave and Aftermath like this.
  21. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

The important question...How much is that doggie in the window?
    The one with the waggly tail...best version.

Loud Listener likes this.
  22. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

It is too bad that Barbra Streisand's team went for the No-Noised sound of other engijeer
    Patti Page's Golden Hits CD on Mercury or the Patti Page Collection 2 CD series, also on Mercury are what to get.

RSteven and tootull like this.
  23. Steve Hoffman

I am.

vonwegen, Dave and ParloFax like this.
  24. Steve Hoffman

Whatever is being served. We’re not picky.

Dave likes this.
  25. Steve Hoffman

On that early CD compilation on Mercury. Right from the mono original. @Michael sent it to me once. Forgot the name of the disk. Something like "Million Selling Oldies" with a cheesy pic of a girl in a bathing suit on the cover. A very early CD.

In case you really wanted to know.