New Tom Petty/Heartbreakers Compilation: "The Best of Everything"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by McCool, Oct 5, 2018.

1. onm3rcur7

onm3rcur7 Forum Resident

Thanks, learning every day :)

Matthew Tate likes this.
  2. AKA

AKA Senior Member

Ha! I dig that cover, but you probably already knew that. :)

I actually made a homemade compilation right after Tom passed, which I also called The Best of Everything. I don’t know that my cover is necessarily better, but it’s different, and the photo I used matches the somber but wistful mood I was in in the aftermath of his death.

[​IMG]

3. N.T.Wrong

N.T.Wrong Forum Resident

“Flipper” is unusual (except perhaps on this web site!). It typically appears as a verb: “to flip,” meaning “to sell [something] at a higher price soon after purchasing it.” For example: “I bought the house in August and flipped it in September at a $50,000 profit.”

Matthew Tate likes this.
  4. Well I pre ordered 2 copies the day it was announced from the TP website. There was $18x.xx being held on my debit card (it didn't show as a transaction but the funds weren't available) and now today the funds are not held and the money is available. I logged into the TP website and it shows my pre order of 2, but now it doesn't show prices or a total and just says processing. Wonder what's up?

5. ryan de topanga

ryan de topanga Forum Resident

To answer some questions on this thread.

1) The vinyl was cut from the 26 bit 96K Hi Res Digital Master, with extended dynamic range (as is the case with An American Treasure). This Digital master was sourced from the original master tapes (or original Hi-Res Digital masters for the later songs, like "I Should Have Known It", that were never mixed to analog tape.) The reason vinyl was not cut directly from the tapes is that this is a compilation of songs, pulled from various albums, with different analog tape sizes, speed, alignments and also includes masters in digital formats. Impossible to compile in the analog world.

2) The vinyl refs came from Pallas USA/Furnace. They are real good!

3) The family and band mates (and me) were involved in the track selection and order.

4) The version of "The Best Of Everything" is the same remixed version on An American Treasure, but with the additional "lost" verse.

laf848, Walt, Larsen and 20 others like this.
  6. ralphk

ralphk Ain’t gonna work on Maggie’s farm no more

Track list?

7. AKA

AKA Senior Member

[​IMG]

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
    The Best of Everything

DISC ONE (1973-1985):
    1. Up in Mississippi Tonight
    2. Depot Street
    3. Rockin’ Around (With You)
    4. Breakdown
    5. Anything That’s Rock ’n’ Roll
    6. American Girl
    7. I Need to Know
    8. Listen to Her Heart
    9. Even the Losers
    10. Don’t Do Me Like That
    11. Refugee
    12. Here Comes My Girl
    13. The Waiting
    14. The Nighwatchman
    15. A Woman in Love (It’s Not Me)
    16. Stop Draggin’ My Heart Around
    17. You Got Lucky
    18. Change of Heart
    19. Straight Into Darkness
    20. Don’t Come Around Here No More
    21. Rebels
    22. Southern Accents

DISC TWO (1985-1994):
    1. Make It Better (Forget About Me)
    2. Jammin’ Me
    3. Let Me Up (I’ve Had Enough)
    4. Handle with Care
    5. Last Night
    6. End of the Line
    7. I Won’t Back Down
    8. Runnin’ Down a Dream
    9. Free Fallin’
    10. Yer So Bad
    11. Learning to Fly
    12. Into the Great Wide Open
    13. Out in the Cold
    14. Kings Highway
    15. Mary Jane’s Last Dance
    16. You Don’t Know How It Feels
    17. You Wreck Me
    18. It’s Good to Be King
    19. A Higher Place
    20. Wildflowers

DISC THREE (1996-2016):
    1. Walls
    2. Angel Dream (No. 4)
    3. Climb That Hill
    4. Free Girl Now
    5. Room at the Top
    6. Swingin’
    7. The Last DJ
    8. Dreamville
    9. Have Love Will Travel
    10. Square One
    11. Saving Grace
    12. Flirting with Time
    13. Scare Easy
    14. Lover of the Bayou
    15. I Should Have Known It
    16. U.S. 41
    17. American Dream Plan B
    18. U Get Me High
    19. Forgotten Man
    20. Trailer
    21. I Forgive It All

Disc one, tracks 1-2; disc three, tracks 13-14 and 20-21 are performed by Mudcrutch.
    Disc one, track 16 is performed by Stevie Nicks with Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers.
    Disc two, tracks 4-6 are performed by Traveling Wilburys.
    Disc two, tracks 7-10 and tracks 16-20; disc three, tracks 10-12 are solo Tom Petty projects.

8. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

Thanks for the detailed info, it’s very much appreciated, I’ll be grabbing It for the bonus tracks and the hi-res version of Stop Draggin’ my Heart Around.

supermd likes this.
  9. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

DolphinsIntheJacuzzi Forum Resident

Every "best of" collection released by a record company is, to some extent, a cash grab. But what I think likely happened here is something like this: The record company informed the Heartbreakers that they wanted to have a 2-CD / 4-LP career overview for the Christmas season, and the band said, "We'd be all onboard with that, but we'd like to do a rarities / alternate career box first, for the real fans." The record company thought about it, and decided that two boxed sets with the band's input / approval was better than one without. That's my best guess. This box was a foregone conclusion, though. I even predicted several weeks back that a set like this would be coming fairly soon. I just figured they'd wait until next year, to let American Treasure have more time to sell. But what do I know?

Matthew Tate and Hep Alien like this.
  10. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Personally, I would have liked to have seen Change Of Heart and Rebels on the track list.

11. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

None of his compilations - prior to American Treasure - included any material from Wildflowers onward. In the case of Greatest Hits (1993), that was because Wildflowers (1994) hadn't been released yet. In both other cases (Playback and Anthology: Through the Years), it owed to label disputes.

12. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

Already covered, but thanks anyway. :tiphat:

13. FourWalledWorld

FourWalledWorld Forum Resident

For me, it's more the order of them. Funny enough, if they announced this one first and then American Treasure, I'd have less of a problem with it.
    But that's the way it is. I'm not mad about it since nobody is forcing me to buy this.

KinkySmallFace1991 likes this.
  14. AKA

AKA Senior Member

The box set is Warner, but the hits comp will be Universal. I’m thinking there must have been some sort of reciprocal deal allowing the two labels to use each other’s tracks on their separate releases.

15. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

Why don't you just add it onto your AAT playlist(s)? Maybe even sub it for the AAT version (if the missing verse is the only difference)?

supermd and Hep Alien like this.
  16. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

Which will come out in January. ;)

The Big Guy likes this.
  17. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

Buy the Wildflowers album. It's pretty consistently great. And you can get CD copies pretty cheap on Amazon / eBay.

pinkrudy likes this.
  18. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

If this was the actual tracklisting for the boxed set, I doubt there would be many serious complaints.

19. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

Nope. "The Best of Everything (Alternate Version)" is already available for individual purchase ($1.29 on Amazon). I suppose one could still go to the dark webs for these, rather than paying $3.00. But that would be kind of...petty. ;) I'll see myself out.

20. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

They could also release a standalone DVD/Blu of the 2016 Gainsville show from RDAD. That's a pretty great show.

BeatleJWOL and budwhite like this.
  21. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

Yeah, we're missing those two. But we've got three tracks from Mudcrutch 2? Really?

Matthew Tate and carlwm like this.
  22. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

All good songs but.....

FJFP and DolphinsIntheJacuzzi like this.
  23. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

I'd like that.

My RDAD Deluxe Edition is beat up and the discs with the feature film are scratched beyond belief. I'd like to replace the whole package but it's so expensive. The main film on Blu-Ray and the standalone Gatorville Blu-Ray would be perfect for me. They apparently played "Refugee" at the Gatorville show, but it was cut from the broadcast. Maybe it could be a bonus track?

supermd and DolphinsIntheJacuzzi like this.
  24. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

That's what I get for posting before reading the entire thread. :oops:

DHamilton and jmxw like this.
  25. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

Not direct from the tapes because it’s a compilation? Ok, were there no compilations before the digital era?

A6mzero and mick_sh like this.