Do You Ever Get The Feeling That Your Musical Perspective Is Not Representative On This Forum?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fenderesq, Oct 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fenderesq

fenderesq In Brooklyn It's The Blues / Heavy Bass 7-7 Thread Starter

Often; more and more I get the feeling by what I read that this forum; which I rever, which has given me very much; no longer speaks to me. That the opinions and views and musical tastes of the vast majority; just don't jive with mine and I can't relate and doesn't relate to my musical esthetic. What music means / is to me. I'm not saying or implying my tastes are better; simply they; again for the most part and not exclusively are different; sometimes diametrically opposed to my own. I usually try to understand what I don't agree with and view differences as a positive; a vehicle for knowledge and enlightenment but sometimes the gap grows so expansive there seems to be no way to maneuver it.

Am I alone in this?

Tokyo Ghost, Jarleboy, Grant and 9 others like this.
  2. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

That's why people hang out and interact with other who are like minded. You'll run into different "perspectives" on here and everywhere you go. I'm in my early 40's and there's very few that share my musical perspectives, tastes and preferences In real life. The few I find are the ones I value.

3. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident

I don't really know.

I actually think my tastes and views on music are fairly "in line" with many here (in general). I honestly don't have a very radical musical pallette. So I likely steer towards the norm rather than the fringes. Where I often see the drastic differences are within the views or tastes of a particular discography or genre. For instance, I notice I have a very strong knack for liking the "wrong" albums/songs/members from a band that we all may equally love otherwise.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
  4. ElevateMeLater

ElevateMeLater Jesus of Cool

Monkees discussion only.

5. HeyBullfrog

HeyBullfrog Friend of the Forum

Each person's musical perspective is unique. I enjoy a bunch of artists that my friends and family don't, and vice versa. So it's not at all surprising -- or even disappointing, frankly -- that I see people on this forum whose tastes differ, sometimes wildly, from my own.

Jarleboy, Rojo and fenderesq like this.
  6. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

No, in fact I've gone through periods where I don't post or even want to read the threads. There are many classic rock bands that I no longer listen to and this place is so focused on classic rock that I feel out of place sometimes. I don't like a lot of the bands that get tremendous amounts of love here. I still have my classic rock favorites but other styles of music have drawn a deeper interest from me and while they have their fans here any threads devoted to such usually get overrun by the same old, same old.

7. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

Does anyone else like The Beatles?

8. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

I often feel that the majority of music that is highly praised on here by folks my own age is stuff I grew out of after high school and college. It floors me that guys in their 50s and 60s still listen to Led Zeppelin and The Doors unironically.

9. steviebee

steviebee Always playing Ese and The Vooduu People

Not sure I'm understanding your point correctly, but...
    I just ignore the threads (of which there a few, lol...Queen, Fleetwood Mac, Kiss, Macca, Elton John etc) that concern bands or music that I don't follow or enjoy...

But the stuff I like, wow.... great place to learn and share.

I find the arguments tedious sometimes - seems like you can't have a forum without some male chest-beating riding along. But sometimes it's quite funny.

10. whodanny

whodanny The Who ! THAT'S WHO !!

Well, I'm no Beatles fan, so the answer is "most probably".

11. Lemon Curry

Lemon Curry (A) Face In The Crowd

Native folk music of New Zealand is routinely overlooked.

12. steviebee

steviebee Always playing Ese and The Vooduu People

Ah but in my head, my chronological age is irrelevant... there's plenty of people in their forties older n me :D

classicrocker, Grant, eddiel and 9 others like this.
  13. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I've been collecting jazz records since I was 15 or so and that was 48 or so years ago. There are some very like-minded individuals here that I enjoy reading and connecting with, even though if I were to pick the "genre" of music that is most often discussed here I'd say "classic rock."

So, no, my music perspective IS represented here. There are two long jazz threads to participate in and other threads pop up.

14. whodanny

whodanny The Who ! THAT'S WHO !!

How about native folk music of New Jersey?. Guess Broooooce covers that one.

15. LibertyKrell

LibertyKrell Forum Resident

Quite the opposite, which surprises me for 2 reasons:

1. Most of the music I listen to would not fall under the hifi category. In fact, many of the artist I like are, decidedly, lofi. I'm shocked to find as much enthusiasm on the forum for these artist.
    2. I consider a lot of my musical acts to be different from one another (GBV is different from Zappa is different from Flying Lotus), yet, I often times see the same people posting in threads talking about upcoming Zappa vinyl reissues, also posting in threads about the upcoming Brian Jonestown Massacre album. Before I joined this forum I figured fandom for those musical acts was mutually exclusive.

Jarleboy and Putrifiers II like this.
  16. Jim Duckworth

Jim Duckworth I can't lose with the stuff I use.

Possibly, but the range of expertise is so great in this forum that I usually learn something valuable. Thank you, friends.

17. Willowman

Willowman Senior Member

I do feel the forum has become more 'classic rock' oriented over the past few years but that may, in part, be a reaction to the fact that many of the major catalogues have been getting release after release during the past decade, so there can be a lot to discuss.

In any case, the membership of the forum is wide enough to accommodate discussion of non-mainstream music, just skip past the obvious and/or use the search function.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
  18. fenderesq

Of course you are correct; I agree; I'm just noting that; noting my feeling of the expanding extremity of the gap and that sometimes it seems insurmountable. Maybe I'm just getting old and don't have the will or stamina or desire anymore to span the chasm. I love to learn from others; to debate and learn... "life is for learning"; I live to a great degree by this idea However sometimes you just; I just; feel the vastness of the numbers of those 'I don't get' are overwhelming. Not with taste or opinions better or worse then mine. All this might and probably will change; maybe even in an hour or two... as it usually does.

The Revealer and HeyBullfrog like this.
  19. Tuco

Tuco Senior Member

Music aside, I don't think I've ever seen such extensive use of the semi-colon.

20. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

Most of the stuff I like is represented appropriately. Of course there are a few bands I love that don't have many or any fans here. That's fair enough, most of it is Japanese and I get how that's not everyone's cup of tea. Otherwise I see the majority of my fave stuff very well represented here.

In terms of peoples' opinions on the stuff I like. It varies, of course, some people echo my thoughts pretty succinctly, and some have the opposite opinion to me. It gels most of the time.

21. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I tend to agree here, but you don’t like Zeppelin? You’ve grown out of them or something? I almost never listen to them either, but sometimes the urge strikes and not for some post ironic laugh, either.

I find there are like minded people on here that understand where I’m coming from. That said, the older I get the less I am attached to long time favorites (excluding a few bands) and tend to like more punk, Americana, and post punk (none of which I liked as a teenager).

Paully and Beatnik_Daddyo'73 like this.
  22. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

I see no one musical perspective represented here, open and diverse to any musical topic introduced for discussion.

Jarleboy, forthlin and Chris DeVoe like this.
  23. fenderesq

Yeah we need more funny... maybe I'm just becoming an old F***.

wrappedinsky likes this.
  24. SoundDoctor

SoundDoctor Forum Resident

I think rap is not represented strongly enough here, and everybody blames it for the lack of quality in modern music (not true).

25. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

I haven't listened to Zeppelin since college. I grew out of over-the-top bombastic c*ck rock.

Andrew J, rod, snowman872 and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.