Do You Ever Get The Feeling That Your Musical Perspective Is Not Representative On This Forum?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fenderesq, Oct 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

All Paul, all the time!

2. Thermionic Dude

Thermionic Dude Forum Resident

Well, the Aussies do have Pine Gap...
    (Cue the X-Files theme.)

keyse1 likes this.
  3. setlistthief

setlistthief Forum Resident

This comment is so right on, and speaks to my ears and heart. Beautifully said. This forum gives me me so much more than I could possibly contribute.

Re: Zep...I was in some random place the other day (grocery store, restaurant, I don't remember) when Black Dog came on-a song I've heard twenty bazillion times, easily. But this time, I stopped transfixed by that riff, the start-stop of the verse and Bonzo's time signature and thought to myself, "that's a really f**king good song."

4. setlistthief

setlistthief Forum Resident

Isn't he the dead one?

5. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

:laugh: Its so true about threads that become popular. The dumbest freaking threads will receive endless replies, but if you put a LOT of thought into a thread, its usually ignored. Look at the "please delete" thread the other night. That was literally about NOTHING yet received endless replies. (Full disclosure, I participated in the silliness initially as well.) Its currently in Off Topic (by popular demand, mind you) at 22 pages. :shrug:

PS - I use (too many) parentheses in (my) posts.

(Sorry)

6. panasoffkee

panasoffkee Forum Resident

This is a perfect example of one of the better aspects of this forum. No matter what the music genre, someone on here is going to have deep knowledge and be willing to share everything they know and I'm grateful.

Efus and Lonecat like this.
  7. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

It doesn't have to, I come here for a different perspective. (and if it's too different there's always the ignore button)

8. Acoustic Warrior

Acoustic Warrior I Come From The Water

Very strange thread, is the only thing I can muster to post. I thought about not posting that, but at least it's about the thread itself. I guess that's my perspective on the idea of perspectives

9. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

When I was in the music meta data biz online retailers were looking for ways to link artists in an effort to increase sales. If you like Judas Priest you might like Iron Maiden kind of connections. That's all well and good, but I was always trying to take things beyond that to make links between genres. Get someone who listens to Black Sabbath to check out Wagner or Howlin Wolf. I feel the same way here. You can find inspiration in unexpected places if you have an open mind and an open ear.

When I worked retail sooooooo many people wanted more music that sounded just like the rest of their CD collection. I'd try to open Kenny G fans to Coltrane's Ballads, it didn't always work.

10. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

I have come to the conclusion with this forum that my perspective and opinion is what it is, my own! There will be some that agree with me and others that will not. I just try to share my experiences and let the chips fall where they may. On the other hand, I have learned a lot from this forum and continue to this day. One must be careful not to get too caught up in their ego becoming bruised. I have found that if I am being trolled or belittled by another forum member, it's best to move on to another thread or topic. If they want to be idiots, let it be on them.

11. fenderesq

fenderesq In Brooklyn It's The Blues / Heavy Bass 7-7 Thread Starter

Very good zp (excuse my familiarity), very good both in serious commentary and humor. I too take refuge in past threads when they're open and enjoy reviving them when I believe I have anything of value to say or add. Often new post added to an old thread can be very interesting and revealing. I enjoy understanding who I'm dealing with. And put me down for a pre-order on the classic hip hop LPs. Vol. 1. I'm not a hip hop guy but I'm attempting to be open... as penitence for my thread starting crankiness.

zphage likes this.
  12. fenderesq

He'd better be or 'The Boys' 'll be paying you a visit at 3:00AM.

Jack o' the Shadows likes this.
  13. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

I'm certainly no expert, so take this with a grain of salt, but I would think the connections work better when they're organic. Like linking Led Zeppelin fans to folk music/artists by way of Sandy Denny and her appearance on Zep IV.

14. Lonecat

Lonecat King Of Fools

I listen to some very diverse, weird stuff that most here don't care about, but I've had several people PM or post thanking me for sharing a YouTube clip of a band or song they hadn't heard before, and I've done the same. In the "obscure 80's " thread alone I was exposed to several bands I had no idea even existed! It's funny, because that rootsy, eighties style is basically my wheelhouse, my passion, and I thought I'd heard all there was to hear from that era. so even if your tastes are a bit obscure, off the beaten path, its still a really valuable forum. Like has been repeatedly stated by others in this thread, no matter what style music, no matter how obscure, somebody here will know more and enlighten the rest of us about it. the only downside is this place has cost me some money tracking down rare 80's vinyl.

panasoffkee likes this.
  15. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

Seems like most of the threads concern rock artists. Not much discussion about jazz, classical, prog rock outside of the famous groups, or folk music.

Grant and MikeManaic61 like this.
  16. ronm

ronm audiofreak

Face it...this forum is primarily a classic rock forum.I'm ok with it.It's what brought me here and what keeps me coming back.Doesn't mean I don't like other types but if I want to talk about more obscure music this is probably not the place I'll do it.

Terrapin Station and Fullbug like this.
  17. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

I agree, but sometimes I think it's worth taking a risk...going that one step beyond the organic. It doesn't always work, but it's worth a shot. I think I had drawn concentric circles with a band in the middle...each labeled: Will like, might also like, should give a shot.

18. ostrichfarm

ostrichfarm Forum Resident

When people talk about "growing out" of certain kinds of music, I wonder if the real reason is that they feel absurd participating in the social scene surrounding that music -- which, after all, is so much of what music means to so many of us. We're social animals, and no one likes to feel pathetic.

Personally, I've never grown out of any of my tastes. Maybe some music is less interesting to me than it once was, but I've never felt embarrassed or silly for liking something, nor have I ever gone from liking to hating something -- even music I loved as a child still holds up to me. (The other way around, i.e. learning to love music I once loathed, happens now and then.)

I'm totally OK with the idea that some forums tend to emphasize certain kinds of music. There are plenty of places where current hip-hop, contemporary chart-pop, etc. dominate the conversation, and since most of what falls under those labels has little or no resonance for me, I feel no sense of loss if it's seldom discussed here.

Plus if you turn on the TV, that stuff is ubiquitous anyway. I'm much more interested in conversations that shine a light on the little-known and overlooked.

And OTOH, I understand that a reference to Jandek or most avant-garde or outsider stuff will usually fall flat here, and that's fine.

19. gd0

gd0 Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodies

I wouldn't expect my musical perspective to be "representative" ANYwhere.

Maybe on WFMU...

phillyal1, fenderesq and ostrichfarm like this.
  20. ostrichfarm

ostrichfarm Forum Resident

And what a great radio station that is. :) Every time I'm near enough, I try to remember to tune in.

21. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Well stated:tiphat:

22. druboogie

druboogie Maverick Stacker

Classic Rock is 1/6th of my music collection, so for that reason I dont visit this board that often, as it is predominantly Classic Rock. Unfortunately I havent found any good Disco/Soul sites yet....

Grant likes this.
  23. luckybaer

luckybaer Thinks The Devil actually beat Johnny

I don't think what I like fits neatly into a box, so there's usually something that piques my interest. For example, I had no clue about the band Nazareth, so I checked out a post, went to allmusic.com, and now I'm kinda interested in getting a couple of their albums.

Grant likes this.
  24. luckybaer

luckybaer Thinks The Devil actually beat Johnny

Did someone swap the semi-colon key with the comma key? Or, was the grammar taught to me by nuns and frumpy lay-teachers totally wrong?

Comet01 and fenderesq like this.
  25. fenderesq

I applaud your premise, your intent and action... I too think that far off the mark, out of left field, expected unlikely connections and introductions and even intermingling of musicians and genres to be exciting and exhilarating when it works... when not, often interesting in the failed attempt. I once was working with a friend; a well know promoter to mount a concert; the original idea was for a series of concerts: to have "major" bands and artists on a single stage at a the same time playing with each other as well as in a round robin structure where on artist would play a number inspired by the previous one. One actual element that was being pursued was that Richie Havens would follow a number inspired by the preceding band, Metallica who would have been preceded and inspired by a performance of Itzhak Perlman. The idea was that at each show there would be between 6 and 9 artist or bands. There would be no parameters, except those regarding order of performance and at what point other musicians would engage in another bands performance. No predetermined song selection. Spontaneity and immediacy would rule the evening. We thought of it as a series of musical experiments in the intermingling of genres and players. The closest thing I ever knew to this idea was Vin Scelsa's series at the Bottom Line in NY entitled something like A Bunch of Singers Sitting Around Singing. In the case of these shows the artists were not very far afield and Vin really directed the action. Our Idea was for something much more unstructured and organic There are I believe 2 recordings of 2 shows from the Vin Scelsa Bottom Line series. 1 for sure which I highly recommend. The one I know of included Lucinda Williams and Graham Parker among others. Our efforts never came to be although many well known, respected artists loved the idea and in principle agreed to participation, scheduling was the roadblock. I'm sure if the scheduling issues were surmounted there would be a slew of others along the way and the idea faded into a dream never to be. The working title of the series was If 6 Were 9 from the stage of_________. We never got that far as to address an initial perspective venue. I'd alway thought Carnegie Hall would have been ideal for a number of reasons; not the least of which was that Carnegie historically was the venue of revolutionary, radicle, dare I say 'important' concerts. A major label was interested based upon the idea, but I believe the interest was actually based more upon the involvement of my friend... the promoter of legend who was forwarding the idea. I was never quite sure they understood the concept.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
    strummer101, lschwart and Jeff Kent like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.