Fedex 4 days to travel 100 miles?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Jerryb, Oct 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jerryb

Jerryb Senior Member Thread Starter

Does this sound right or is it a glitch? I had a package ship today from PA to NJ less than 100 miles. It won't arrive until Friday 4 days from now. It takes that long to go across the county to CA.

2. ROFLnaked

ROFLnaked Forum Resident

Glitch.

With USPS it wouldn't surprise me, but with FedEx, that sucker should arrive from PA to NJ the next day.

Jerryb likes this.
  3. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

FedEx ground? Sure, depending on the zip codes, not necessarily the miles.

4. Jerryb

It was expedited shipping. At least that's what they offered me free.

5. ROFLnaked

ROFLnaked Forum Resident

Jerryb likes this.
  6. Jerryb

It looks like it will take 4 days to travel 100 miles. That's with expedited shipping!

7. Gene Parmesan

Gene Parmesan Forum Resident

I live in SE PA and receive FedEx packages from BH Photo & Video in one day with free (expedited) shipping.

Jerryb likes this.
  8. Jerryb

I found out what's going on. The shipper chose the cheapest slowest shipping called saver. I checked off expedited when I placed my order. So it looks like Friday after all.

9. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

"Federal Express...when it absolutely, postively has to get there."

...but at least the slogan is quicker...

10. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

Fed ex = fed up

Ups = oops

11. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

To be fair, in the media sections on eBay you aren't given that many potential classes of shipment. Aside from the Cadillac services, all you have to choose from is Standard and Expedited. In USPS terms for Media items like books and records, I have always assumed Standard = Media Mail and Expedited = Priority. Fedex Ground which is likely the ultimate class Jerryb's item shipped at to my mind is equivalent to Priority Mail, and sometimes offers better service than Priority Mail at more or less the same price, especially on heavy items. If you run a big company and ship Gaylords full of items every day, Fedex or UPS ground may have other advantages. If I thought I might use Fedex Ground for a shipment, I would price it to break even for Priority Mail and if on game day Fedex ground was cheaper or better for the item or the customer or for me I'd send it that way. It's measurably better than Standard (Media Mail) service. But Expedited in eBay's definition does not equal Cadillac 1 or 2 business day shipping, whether the transport is provided by Fedex, USPS, UPS or whomever. I think they let you specify a different, higher price for that, or let you build it into the cost and call it Fast 'n' Free or some such nonsense.

Jerryb likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.